Scooter
Community

From small to big wheels. My Sportcity experience.

Last post 05-07-2009 08:23 PM by niks. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2009 08:53 AM

• Clarry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2008
    • Bonnet Bay, Sydney
    • Posts 153

From small to big wheels. My Sportcity experience.

I put my Aribba 150 in for a service today, it's now done 15000km and I think the brakes & belt could use some attention. Anyway, on arrival at The Scooter Shop I was informed that the mechanic had unfortunately hurt his arm that morning so my bike would take a few days to service. They were kind enough to lend me another scoot until mine was ready, very thoughtful I think. I was lent a bright yellow Aprillia Sportcity 125. A very attractive package at first glance I thought. So after 3 years of riding the Aribba only, I was going to get an opportunity to experience something different. On the 30 min ride home I discovered several things of note about this bike. Number one and most importantly is the seat. I'm quite tall, 6'3" and as such I normally sit well back on the seat of my Aribba. The Aprillia has a split level seat, the rider sits lower than the pillion. I find that I want to sit right where the seat scoops up and it's horrible. If I move forward into the riders saddle, I'm squeezed up against the handlebars. Going back is worse, you can imaging how silly I would look riding on the pillion seat. So I spent the entire journey perched on the hump. Second are the indicators. My Aribba has quite a loud ticking noise when the indicators are on so it's very difficult to forget them. The Aprillias are absolutely silent. How hard can it be to give them a little noise? Surely it's a very simple & cheap safety feature to add. The third thing I was thinking about was the power. Going from a 150 to a 125 I imagined there would be minimal difference but my first impression was that the Aprillia was weaker. However I soon realized that the engine was just a bit quieter and delivered its power differently than I was use to. I finally decided it wasn’t bad, just different. Finally the cornering threw me a little. My Aribba has small wheels and the Aprillia is a big wheeled scooter. Cornering is very different on the two. I’m not going to say one is better or worse than the other. I just think my in-experience on larger wheeled scooters made it feel a little awkward but I’m sure it’s something I will adjust to. Perhaps my uncomfortable sitting position also contributed to the handling. Anyway, I have the thing for a few days yet so perhaps my opinions will have to be reevaluated in that time.
  • 05-06-2009 09:52 AM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Re: From small to big wheels. My Sportcity experience.

And the other guy in the shop while you were there was me...The lady in the shop wanted to put me on a beo200..and give me a call "later in the week or on the weekend" WTF!...so I rolled my GTS straight out of there, and booked it back in next week.
    Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 05-06-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

Clarry:
    I'm quite tall, 6'3" and as such I normally sit well back on the seat of my Aribba. The Aprillia has a split level seat, the rider sits lower than the pillion.

That is know as the "crashers" riding position. Weight distribution on the Arriba like most scooters is rear biased, fuel tank, engine transmission all over the rear wheel. Only weight over the front end is the rider. When you sit on the passengers seat there isn't enough weight over the front wheel leading to all sorts of handling drama like lack of grip & suspension.

That is why some scooters have these stepped seats, to put the riders weight where it needs to be.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-06-2009 03:00 PM In reply to

• Clarry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2008
    • Bonnet Bay, Sydney
    • Posts 153

I can see the sense in that HQ, but it does render the bike useless to a taller rider.

Linz, at least the offer was there for a substitute bike. A lot of workshops wouldn't do that.

• 05-06-2009 03:11 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Clarry:

Linz, at least the offer was there for a substitute bike. A lot of workshops wouldn't do that.

Too true...but the rest of the week or the weekend?? for 5K service?? maybe if it was overnight
  • 05-06-2009 03:17 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Clarry, going from a small wheeled bike to a larger one, feels very different and weird at first.  As you know, I went from the BeeWee to the Sportcity 125, and yes I am shorter than you, but I still also like my leg room.  I found I felt more stable on the larger wheeled scoot, bumps didn't feel as harsh.  Yes the Sportcity is quiet, but that is okay by me, as I can hear what is going on around me, and the bike is loud enough that I can hear it as well, and know if something is right or wrong.  I think you just need time to adjust to the Sportcity, as it truely is one great scooter once you get used to the larger wheels, and quiet motor.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-06-2009 03:37 PM In reply to

Clarry:
    but it does render the bike useless to a taller rider

The crasher position has almost become fashionable/cool with some, I know guys who think they look silly sitting where they should instead adopting the straight arms / legs while sitting on the back seat (although I'm at a loss as to how you look cool sliding down the road on your face).

That is a drawback of being tall, less choice (with scooters anyway). If you can't sit on the front seat without your knees around your ears try/get something else.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-06-2009 04:16 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooter HQ:

Clarry:
    but it does render the bike useless to a taller rider

That is a drawback of being tall, less choice (with scooters anyway). If you can't sit on the front seat without your knees around your ears try/get something else.

No easier for us shorties!
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-06-2009 05:16 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Clarry, when are you getting your scoot back? or have you got it already??
  • 05-06-2009 06:44 PM In reply to

I am 6'6 and my yamaha majesty is a little cramped - I want to sit about 3 -5 inches further back but the seat hump is in the way, I don't think scooters are made for proper sized people

Removed due to stalker
  • 05-06-2009 08:50 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

I agree matt one only has to look at the size of the designers and the test riders lol thats why vespas are so low  to the ground lol

In relation to the mechanics requiring a few days before you get the scooter back is I believe the result of poor organisation in work control or spares control, so they want the scooter to ensure you wont go elsewhere. My motor mechanic has my car booked in for a particular day holds a range of lubes and spare consumables such as filters. Its now time for the gike scooter industry here in Australia to tell the manufacturers to shape up or they wont sell/service that model but then again one can get a part on ebay quicker than what the OEM can supply it to Australia. It time we stopped being a dumping ground for products that cant be sold elsewhere. Like we cannot get a 250 majesty any more because the suppliers want to make more out of 400 majesty's rather than selling the 250 for a reasonable price. The reason why the Bolwell scooters do so well here is because the company has the right attitude to its customers, it only falls down on Elizabeth street where the staff have a (expect you to beg them to serve you attitude) this has been my experience and it takes a bit to faze me

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 05-06-2009 09:22 PM In reply to

• Clarry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2008
    • Bonnet Bay, Sydney
    • Posts 153

Linz, no word yet. I'm guessing Sat or Monday.

Matt, as I said in my opening review, my Aribba has a single level, flat seat. So I can get real comfortable on that, even if I had the extra 3 inches you have (no sniggling girls).

I rode the Aprillia to and back from work today. Apart from the seating arrangement, I'm becoming more & more impressed with the power of this thing. It easily maintains 80kph up a long medium hill with my 100kg on board. Starting to get the feel of the cornering too. Once again, I would like to have an audio component on the indicators, although at night the flashing light is very "in your face", so that helps.

I must say, with bigger wheels & me being forced to sit closer and hence more upright, I feel a bit like I'm riding a moto-cross bike.

• 05-07-2009 11:54 AM In reply to

Clarry:
    I must say, with bigger wheels & me being forced to sit closer and hence more upright, I feel a bit like I'm riding a moto-cross bike.

Just a few minutes in the workshop, and we can adjust even the tallest riders to fit on any scoot. And the service is free....Stick out tongue

But seriously, the stepped seats can be a problem for some taller riders. Great for the pillion though. Brendo's right- weight forward for safety and handling, but if you're uncomfortable (and more to the point- "thinking" about your discomfort) then your not riding safely. An upholsterer can easily remove the seat cover, shape the foam just a tiny bit, and re-apply the cover which should alliviate the problem. But not something you would want to do to a loan scoot...

niks:
    In relation to the mechanics requiring a few days before you get the scooter back is I believe the result of poor organisation in work control or spares control, so they want the scooter to ensure you wont go elsewhere.

Like Clarry said, the mechanic was off work injured. Not everything is a conspiracy theory dude, out to get you... Generally speaking, most scoot shops have the parts on hand to service their customers scoots. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. And if something just 'crops up' during a service, they might not have the parts on hand to sort it.

Dakoda:
    No easier for us shorties!

We have leg extension technology here too...Wink

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 05-07-2009 08:23 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

The experience i mentioned is not a conspiracy theory as you put it it was an actual experience that occurred and in fact the dealer had promised a number of people their bikes in the same time frame so it was bedlam for him and my bike that should have only taken two hours ended up taking all day and resulted in my having to take a loan bike to do other work i had planned and resulted in a long trip back to the place at the end of the day to pick up my bike, result two trips for the one job, then a trip to another place a few days later to fix the nuts that were not tensioned up as their tension wrentch was broken and they used a impact gun on the nuts, result excessive vibration in transmission. Lucky for me due to the rushed job that it was not worse.

So i noticed the mechanic was of sick, well what happened to the fallback plan of the business, the manager could have taken his suit of and gotten his hands dirty, like i said poor planning. a good business factors in potential problems, I know of one business that cant get a mechanic because the managers fallback plan when a problem strikes because of his poor planning and attitude is to abuse whoever is around at the time, so employees don't stay and  customers dont return. Yes there are good businesses out there I have found them and they get any help they need from me in promoting them etc.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au