Scooter
Community

How a 3 year parts and warranty is not honored by the authorised dealer

Last post 05-22-2009 06:29 PM by pyrah. 83 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (84 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2009 08:09 PM

• shearer1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-14-2009
    • Robina, QLD
    • Posts 1

How a 3 year parts and warranty is not honored by the authorised dealer

Can anyone help me? I bought a Firenze Sym 250cc from Scooteria in Fremantle WA.  I kept all my log book and services up to date and moved to Sydney.  In October 2008, my engine seized on the motorway and I was told by the dealer, that my scooter needed a new engine. I said fine because when I purchased my scooter, I got a 3 year parts and warranty. To my disgust, I was informed that I would have to pay 2600 dollars out of my own pocket because : 

1.) I was no longer in WA.

2 ) I was late with a service by 600 kms 

3.) I could take it back to WA to repair the scooter as the warranty would be honored.

I think I've been hard done by. I spoke to the authorised dealers in Melbourne. Initially they were very nice and seemed helpful but once they realised that my scooter required a new engine, I was duly informed that if I had gone to them directly, I would have been charged double what I was being charged. I was in a quandry as I really needed my scooter for work. I was shouted at and insulted by the service people when I was insisting that my scooter was under guarantee. My question is how can distributors be so unscrupulous? It took them 7 weeks to repair my scooter and I was told that it was a "work in progress". I paid for the new engine. I did partial payment by card and the other half by cash as per request.

I have just moved to Queensland and I discovered that all the time I was in Sydney and having my scooter serviced every 2500 kms, I have been taken for a ride as it has not been serviced properly at all. I was flabbergasted to find out that the air filter on my scooter was totally black from soot and dust and my scooter has not been serviced properly. I just had it serviced 2 days ago and my scooter is running so smoothly and the engine sounds like sweet music to my ears. 

Would anyone care to comment? Any chances of me getting my money back? I would love to hear from you.

• 05-14-2009 11:01 PM In reply to

Re: How a 3 year parts and warranty is not honored by the authorised dealer

First I would like to welcome you to Queensland and it sounds like you finally found a good place to get your scooter serviced. You bought a Firenze Sym 250cc from Scooteria in Fremantle WA have you got in contact with them about this problem also have you spoken to Sym Australia about your warranty claim. I think they should have covered it but I don't like your chances after paying out cash that you did not have toSuper Angry

7 weeks down time for a day s worth of work to replace the motor and  $2600 out of pocket wow that's not good for you or Sym's reputationSad

I hope they do the right thing buy you otherwise kick up a stink till they do good luck and I hope this gets resolved soonBig Smile

I bought a GTS 250 Executive from Oz Scooters direct cost me about $3000 new, I do my own servicing and for around $200 I can get a 300cc big bore kit Cylinder, piston, rings, base gasket, head gasket, gudgeon pin, retainers , conrod and locators. The whole new engine 150cc & Gearbox ready to go  is only $740

ENGINE ASSY + GEAR BOX x

$740.00

I have had no warranty problems so far but I have been given some updated parts after he contacted me to see how my scoot was going and he drooped them off in two days now that's what I call serviceBig Smile

You can not beat cubic feet!!
    http://www.plugincars.com.au
  • 05-14-2009 11:40 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Why did the engine seize? Can you tell me what component failed that cause the oil to stop flowing around the engine? What reason did the shop give you? 

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 05-15-2009 07:36 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The reason for the engine seizure may not have been covered under warranty.  This information will help to clarify wether it should have been covered or not.

Either way your dealer in Sydney sounds like he didn't give much information.  They would have known the reason that caused it

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-15-2009 07:54 AM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

If the repairer insisted on cash...straight to the ATO..wont get money back for you but will give them a world of pain too
    Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 05-15-2009 08:16 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Welcome to here and the Sunny state :)

Sucks to hear of that story....i thought a warranty would be covered by the company regardless of if you moved> whats the point otherwise?

600K is a long time to go over the service schedule.

I guess one thing to protect yourself is learn how to do some things yourself, nothing major, just changing oil (done between servicing) checking filter and the the like.

Agree though, to think you were getting your bike serviced and it wasn't being done is really annoying, makes it hard to trust dealers with your scoot.

Hope you geta  resolution to this but i'd be really concerned by the cost of the motor and the fact that you had to pay some in case.

BTW - Nice scoot aside from the dramas in your case.

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 05-15-2009 09:04 AM In reply to

Maybe Niks can help? He seems to be an "expert" on matters such as these.

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 05-15-2009 09:13 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

SharonVespaGirl:

Maybe Niks can help? He seems to be an "expert" on matters such as these.

It's a conspiracy theory
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-15-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

I need to be cautious, as I don't know the full details of your warranty claim, however, if what you say is true, here's my two cents:

shearer1:
    I was informed that I would have to pay 2600 dollars out of my own pocket

Bullsh!t

shearer1:
    I was no longer in WA.

It's a national warranty, like a Toyota, so that doesn't 'fly'

shearer1:
    I was late with a service by 600 kms

That's a tough argument. Services certainly need to be done on time to maintain your warranty, however SYM's intervals have now been extended from 2500km to 3500km, so in reality you could be 1000km late with a service and still fall inside the scheduled service window

shearer1:
    I could take it back to WA to repair the scooter as the warranty would be honored

That's crap

shearer1:
    I think I've been hard done by.

Agreed

shearer1:
    My question is how can distributors be so unscrupulous

Sounds like you've been shafted by the dealer/mechanic, not the distributor. Select are normally very professional and swift in dealing with these things.

shearer1:
    It took them 7 weeks to repair my scooter and I was told that it was a "work in progress"

More crap. If all parts were on hand, it should have been sorted out within a week, if not quicker...

shearer1:
    I did partial payment by card and the other half by cash as per request.

That's dodgey. I hope you have an invoice for the full amount, that says 'paid' and has a zero balance at the bottom of the page. It's easy to make out an invoice and 'sign it' by hand as being paid, and then the invoice can be deleted out of the computer when the customer leaves, which then can't be traced...

shearer1:
    I discovered that all the time I was in Sydney and having my scooter serviced every 2500 kms, I have been taken for a ride as it has not been serviced properly at all. I was flabbergasted to find out that the air filter on my scooter was totally black from soot and dust and my scooter has not been serviced properly.

were you using a qualified motorcycle mechanic? Independent mechanic, or part of a retail shop? A SYM dealer? This is a big problem if you are having your scoot serviced by a qualified mechanic, but it is not being done properly. Even bigger problem if it is a SYM dealer...

Based on what you're saying here, I think you've not been looked after. SYM are excellent at supporting their scoots, so I think your problem lies with the workshops you've been using. There should be some recourse for you, for sure, but i can't tell you what or how. And again, my comments are based on the limited info you've offered here...

Good luck with it.

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 05-15-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

shearer1:

Can anyone help me?

Quite  possibly

Give me a call on (03) 8773 0200

• 05-15-2009 10:14 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

*grabs the popcorn*

This thread could be interesting

Cheers,
    Paul

• 05-15-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

Good to see Select get involved. I look forward to reading the outcome. We can all learn from this.

• 05-15-2009 01:03 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 844

Here in Victoria we have the small claims tribunal and Consumer affairs to sort out such problems.

Each state has a department with a similar role.  I suggest finding out which Department is relevent in Sydney and write a letter to them with copies of all the documents.  Make sure you include the dealer and Sym Australia in the claim.

And make sure that Sym Australia are copied on the letter so they have time to sort it out with their dealer.

Your greivance would be "Sym Australia failed to provide the warrantee on your scooter per the purchase contract (send reciept and copy of warrantee).  Sym's dealer and legal representative in Sydney refused warrantee and charged $$$$ to repair a failed engine that was covered in the warrantee (copy of reciept)." 

Claim on Sym Australia and dealer for complete compensation for your expenses.

If it is not in writing, it did not happen so make sure you include copies of the evidence.  Talk will get you nowhere, put a claim in writing via the relevant department.

If there is a cost threshold below your claim eg.$2500 to make it a small claim, lower your claim to keep it in the simpler small claim proccess because the alternative is get a solicitor and go to court.

Finally when you sort this rubbish out sell the scooter and buy a brand with a responsible dealer network, its not woth the stress the next time you have an issue with your scooter.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 05-15-2009 01:10 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

INMA:

Finally when you sort this rubbish out sell the scooter and buy a brand with a responsible dealer network, its not woth the stress the next time you have an issue with your scooter.

I thought SYM were supposed to have good back up and the like...considering one of those for my next one.

Cheers,
    Paul

• 05-15-2009 02:49 PM In reply to

paul1975:

INMA:

I thought SYM were supposed to have good back up and the like..

So did I.
    But it is ALLWAYS best to get the opinion of experts 1st
Page 1 of 6 (84 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au