Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Citycom owners?

Last post 08-27-2009 03:13 PM by Service@SelectScootas. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2009 11:21 PM

• Kristoff
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-29-2009
    • Lexington Ky U.S.A
    • Posts 102

Citycom owners?

I cannot believe how much I love riding and owning a scooter, when is get on it I dont want to get off of it!, That said, I am riding a new SYM HD200, and am thinking seriously about upgrading one more time to the SYM Citycom. Would love some feedback from anyone who is riding one. I have thought about a Piaggio BV or a Scarabeo but to be honest I feel strongly about doing business with a small scooter shop where I live that only carries SYM and ETON and that has sold me my last 2 scooters. He has taken such good care of me and want to stay loyal to him and his small business.

Its not a moped!!
    Filed under: ,
  • 06-26-2009 11:51 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Re: Citycom owners?

I think kiwiscoot has a citycom...

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 06-26-2009 06:54 PM In reply to

I just bought one, only had it for 2 days now, i had trouble making a decision between the citicom and piaggo x7, in the end decided on the citcom, liked the big wheels and 4 year warranty. Only having done a few kms so far, so hard to give a big review at this time. But so far have found it to have heaps of power, very torquee and well protected from the cold. I['m 5ft 10 and would of liked the seat to of been a couple of inches back, but then again take into account that i am also a harley davidson owner and i'm used to having my feet stretched out and not the upright position. Find it a tad high and have to balance with feet not flat on ground, once again this is a scooter and not a harley which has the low seat height. Overall i absolutely love it. I havnt had it out on the highway yet, but feel it will go very well when i do. I think the big plus for it are the big wheels, 4 year warranty, power, looks great and a well known company.
  • 06-26-2009 11:57 PM In reply to

• Kristoff
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-29-2009
    • Lexington Ky U.S.A
    • Posts 102

Thanks a lot ! I also like the scoots with larger wheels and am more attracted to the bikes with 16' wheels, thats why I chose the HD200. I read another review on the citycom the person who wrote the review also mentioned wishing the seat was a few inches back. What I like about the SYM scoots is that the Vespa dealers are carrying them and endorsing them and I've yet to read a bad review on SYM bikes. Thanks for the reply, it helps me a lot.

Its not a moped!!
  • 08-09-2009 12:24 PM In reply to

• ScootaBug
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Clarkson, Western Australia
    • Posts 186

Hi, I have a Sym CityCom and I absolutely love it. I was also finding it difficult to decide between the x7 and the Citycom. But as thewrights said, the high wheels and the 4 year warranty cinched it for me too. Also, being only 5' tall I had to go with one that had the better chance of being manageable. I had the seat lowered as I was doing ballet every time I put my feet or foot down. Now, its so much better for me as I can get both my feet on the ground. In terms of freeway - it outruns cars in a flash and holds its ground like a truck! I've even had the chance to drive it in pouring rain and didn't feel a twitch on the roundabouts. Wonderful for me, as I am scared to death of falling! Its wobbled scarily though when I've driven over loose gravel on a road detour. In all, it is smooth to ride, easy to handle, easy to manoeuvre, and, its great in both long group rides as well as short shopping runs. The Sym apparently has 'two helmet' space. I don't think that's entirely correct as I have an open face helmet and once in, there is no room for another. Having said that, I am able to squeeze in my bulky DriRider jacket around the helmet with a few tugs and pushes to lock the seat.

I find the windshield annoying. I bought my Sym in April 09 and already had to send the windshield back twice because it is blurred on the top, which makes viewing through the screen very difficult. The dealer has ordered new ones twice in a row but both of them had similar problems. I think its going to be a while before I get one that does not have the blur on the screen. I remove it in summer but in winter its a lifesaver as I have felt so much warmer riding without the wind trying to take my helmet off or freezing my nose.

Whatever you choose, goodluck with it! I think the  x7 is just as good! You must test drive both before you buy so that it can help you make your decision.

ScootaBug

Riding a Piaggio X7Evo 300ie and lovin' it! Thnx Steve@Ace for putting me on my dream machine.
  • 08-18-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

Here's a review of the citicom 300.  http://www.justgottascoot.com/citycom.htm

miles of smiles to you

• 08-18-2009 01:33 PM In reply to

Looking after your local dealer is rarely a bad thing if they've looked after you Big Smile

Note:  warranties are likely to be different in the US to over here, so check that out - don't rely on what Aus customers get!

Also, check the service intervals.  There is a significant difference between the Piaggio engined scooters and the SYM ones. If you aren't doing large distances it may be less of an issue.

But build quality is very good.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 08-19-2009 01:08 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    Note:  warranties are likely to be different in the US to over here, so check that out - don't rely on what Aus customers get

I can understand warranty being different but I'm a bit confused on the power output. Aussie one claims 16.9kw or an extra 1.2kw over most other parts of the world (who claim 15.4kw). Question for Select do we get a better Citicom than the rest of the world?

Aussie SYM Site

http://customers.ilisys.com.au/scootd/flash/showroom/specifications/cruiser/com300i.html

Some others

http://www.sym-usa.com/line%20up/citycom/line_up_citycom.html

http://www.symcanada.ca/citycom.php

http://www.thescooterreview.com/component/content/article/264-sym-citycom-300i?start=2

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 08-19-2009 01:52 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

I can understand warranty being different but I'm a bit confused on the power output. Aussie one claims 16.9kw or an extra 1.2kw over most other parts of the world (who claim 15.4kw). Question for Select do we get a better Citicom than the rest of the world?

That is very intriguing.  A different model for Aus?

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 08-23-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• mattp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2009
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 3

I traded my Piaggo Fly 125 for a Citycom 300i three weeks ago. The experience so far has been great. The increase in power and handling is fantastic. I love the larger bike and larger wheels (from 13/12 to 16/16). 

I had been researching for a long time and was (still am) a big fan of the Scarabeo range (250ie - 500ie). In the end I settled for the Citycom for a few reasons mainly pricing and I like the style of it as well. It has faired well on most reviews I have read , the only personal drawbacks I experience is the wind hitting my eyes from the windshield (easily solved with a full face helmet or visor) and little areas like storage ( I had hoped to fit two helmets ). So as an owner of the Citycom I would not even hesitate in upgrading!

Citycom 300i
  • 08-23-2009 03:17 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Can anyone ride the Sym Citycom on a re-a license ?? Just would like to know if any changes ????

ScootaBug:

Hi, I have a Sym CityCom and I absolutely love it. I was also finding it difficult to decide between the x7 and the Citycom. But as thewrights said, the high wheels and the 4 year warranty cinched it for me too. Also, being only 5' tall I had to go with one that had the better chance of being manageable. I had the seat lowered as I was doing ballet every time I put my feet or foot down. Now, its so much better for me as I can get both my feet on the ground. In terms of freeway - it outruns cars in a flash and holds its ground like a truck! I've even had the chance to drive it in pouring rain and didn't feel a twitch on the roundabouts. Wonderful for me, as I am scared to death of falling! Its wobbled scarily though when I've driven over loose gravel on a road detour. In all, it is smooth to ride, easy to handle, easy to manoeuvre, and, its great in both long group rides as well as short shopping runs. The Sym apparently has 'two helmet' space. I don't think that's entirely correct as I have an open face helmet and once in, there is no room for another. Having said that, I am able to squeeze in my bulky DriRider jacket around the helmet with a few tugs and pushes to lock the seat.

I find the windshield annoying. I bought my Sym in April 09 and already had to send the windshield back twice because it is blurred on the top, which makes viewing through the screen very difficult. The dealer has ordered new ones twice in a row but both of them had similar problems. I think its going to be a while before I get one that does not have the blur on the screen. I remove it in summer but in winter its a lifesaver as I have felt so much warmer riding without the wind trying to take my helmet off or freezing my nose.

Whatever you choose, goodluck with it! I think the  x7 is just as good! You must test drive both before you buy so that it can help you make your decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sym firenze 250cc maxi .

• 08-23-2009 03:36 PM In reply to

Lavacat you need your R-A or R license to legally ride the Citicom in WA as it's engine capacity (the real cc, not just the "class") is above the 250cc limit.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-24-2009 08:34 PM In reply to

• Kiwiscoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 175

Well I have done 8500 kms on my Citycom and it was a blast. I've had correspondence with another Citycom owner who has done 10 000miles on his with only tires and brake pads replaced.  hope all of you with Citycoms have as much fun and enjoyment out of yours.

regards - kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot
    2008 Xingyue XY150T-5100kms of fun. Gone.
    2008 SYM Citycom 300i 47000+kms, was a blast!! Sold now
    2006 Vespa GTS250ie
    In the market need scoot will do 190kph, 3l/100km, 20 000km service intervals,under $10 000, dual purpose to explore back country - where is it?! sigh!
  • 08-27-2009 03:13 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

All our specs come from the factory.

There is a huge amount of information of power output at differant points and I think that our spec sheet used for the material available is a crank measured spec.

But i have not had one on a dyno .

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au