Scooter
Community

DERBI GP1 RACING- THE COMEBACK OF THE RED BULLETS!

Last post 03-11-2008 12:38 AM by r4vi. 117 replies.
Page 8 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-16-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

Re: DERBI GP1 RACING- BRING IT ON!

Getting the opportunity to test-ride a brilliant piece of two-wheeled engineering is something that doesn’t come around very often.  So when I was offered the chance to test the Derbi GP1 Racing.....lets just say that I didn’t have to think too long about what my answer was going to be.

Once the blindfold was taken off when we reached the secret testing location, there was a quick briefing that consisted of 2 simple rules that had to be adhered to…..don’t drop it, and HAVE FUN!!

And so with all that in mind, I suited up, climbed aboard, and fired the beast up. 

Initially I was impressed with the sound, which was unlike that of my Monaco……then I familiarised myself with the controls….twisted the throttle, and took off.

Once I got to the first corner, the first thing I noticed was how easy the scooter was to throw into the bend…..even with its larger wheels, it can be chucked through the corners like a 50cc scooter.   And even thought my two-wheeled experience is limited to scooters, I know enough about motorbikes to know that this machine handles like one.

The power and acceleration was incredible, coming out of a turn and up an incline was amazing…….but just as incredible as its acceleration was it’s ability to stop.  Once bedded in those brakes will be just begging you to do stoppies at the lights!

The low end grunt was awesome….and getting on the power as you are coming out of a turn was fantastic….

It truly is the ultimate urban fun machine.   Whether its getting out of town on the twisties, cruising to work each day in style,  posing at the local coffee shop, or even getting out of the highway for a run to Sydney…..this is the machine for you.

Thankyou so much to Scooter HQ for the chance to ride this bike.  This is another reason why I'll ride 40km for scooter repairs!!  This was the ultimate reward!  Having the chance to own one some day is a dream….but until then, I’ll have the memory of taking this fine piece of European style and engineering excellence for a run.   

cheers,

anthony.

Riding a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and selling the Derbi GP1-250 - PLEASE BUY IT!!!!!!!

• 11-16-2007 01:01 PM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Well the cat is truly out of the bag now, so I will have my turn.

I agree with all of the the above from Anthony.

I think that Allen (sorry mate) assumed wrong when he compared the GP1 to the Gmax250. Chalk & cheese in my opinion. I have rode both although the Gmax was registered & on the road & don't get me wrong is a great scooter, but a contender....NO! The power delivery & throttle response of that sweet engine is sensational to say the least, but this thing comes into it's own in the handling department. It truly does handle like it is on rails & because of the low centre of gravity & 140kg it turns in like it is shod with 12 inch wheels, but with all the other benefits of big wheels & none of the weaknesses.

For a scooter with very minimal klm's the brakes although not bed in at the time were enough to make your eyes look like a pug dog if you wished with a light touch of the levers.

I think this scooter is the benchmark in the sports 250 market & is more than a scooter, it's a statement.

If you don't want people to ask you about, Gawk at or salivate over your ride, don't buy this scooter, because I guarantee you will be the centre of attention if you do!

Thanks again to Brendan & Darcy for the ride. If you can get yourself to ScooterHQ while this beast is there, check it out or miss out at your own peril!

Stew

• 11-16-2007 01:33 PM In reply to

allen:

I would get an email a day asking about the runner and where can i buy one. Well sorry you cant but i know of a few alternatives!!!

maybe the importer for all the referrals i have given the brand might send me one for xmas......... 

Get in line mate,

Funny you should mention the Runner we have quite a bit of interest from owners & former owners looking at a replacement.  

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 12-23-2007 04:58 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

Can someone tell me where I can get one in Melbourne?  And has the price and arrival date been confirmed?  I want one! In grey.

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 12-24-2007 07:57 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Scooter HQ:

Get in line mate,

Yeh looks like ill have to. Maybe a long termer can be organised you know like those ones that scooter get all the time off PS importers. Maybe my long term test mule could be a GP1 and lets say the test goes for two years? what do you reckon.

Thanks for the feedback on the Gp1 guys and i think we better start a new thread soon.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-26-2007 03:57 PM In reply to

WAY:
    Can someone tell me where I can get one in Melbourne?

Talk to either Motogalleria or Scooter Garage,

Price $7,400 +ORC

Late Feb/ early March

If you want one in grey better pre order.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 01-07-2008 01:07 PM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Has ADR been sorted on 50, 125 & 250?

What about the Racing 50? Any word? Or is it only the Open we are getting?

• 01-07-2008 08:24 PM In reply to

Can someone tell me the top speed of this scoot? And will it comfortably sit on 120km/h for an hour or two on an open highway/freeway? Cheers
  • 01-08-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

With the 250 that would not be a problem.

Top speed around 140kph

• 01-08-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

I read the top speed of the 250 is 86mph with the Euro 3 spec engine. Haven't personally checked it out (yet).

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 01-08-2008 10:53 AM In reply to

give one to me i will check out the top speed!!!!

argentum melle
  • 03-11-2008 12:09 AM In reply to

Hello everyone!!!

Do anybody knows what type of lights are the proper one for derbi gp1 50cc???

I want to put type xenon on it but i dont know the type o lights.... 

• 03-11-2008 12:38 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

From my observations and comparison with my G-Max 150 they are H4.

As one is for high and one for low beam, I do not know if the difference in the beam angle is achieved through different reflector design for each side, or different positioning of the globe, or globes with different distances from the locating ring to the element.  I would reckon it is either different positioning, or a different design reflector.

You may encounter the same problem as myself, which was that the end of the HID globe that fits into the reflector assembly is too large for the hole.  I will measure my HID globe to give you an idea before you try to fit it up...

G-Max owners get a better ride :-)
Page 8 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au