Scooter
Community

50cc NOT suitable for Sydney?

Last post 07-23-2009 08:29 AM by Jax. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-20-2009 12:08 PM

• Olz07
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2009
    • Marrickville
    • Posts 4

50cc NOT suitable for Sydney?

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum - I've been reading around and it looks like a worthwhile hub.

I just finished my learner's course and am keen to get a scooter.  Been looking at used ones, and called a place near Annandale.  The salesman said they no longer sell 50ccs because no one was buying them.  He said that I'll need a 125cc for Sydney traffic.

What's everyone's opinions on this?  If a 50cc can go up to 80k/hr, then what's the difference?

I might look at getting a 50cc for the next 3months till I get my P's, but I'm worried about resell value.

Am planning to test-ride a 50cc Bolwell Jive this afternoon - lady is selling for $1400 (but the electric start doesn't always work).  Miliage is only 1500km and it's a 2005 model........Also is this a decent deal?

Thanks in advance,

Leanda (newbie!)

Kymco Agility 125 (newbie)
  • 07-20-2009 12:16 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: 50cc NOT suitable for Sydney?

Hi Leanda, welcome to the forum.

Personally I wouldn't be going for a 50cc - it just doesn't cut it.

I bought my daughter a 125cc as her first scooter and it's a good size for the commuting that she does.

I'm also inclined to think that $1400 for a 50cc is too much - but I'm not really up on the going rate in Syd.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 07-20-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

Olz07:
    What's everyone's opinions on this?  If a 50cc can go up to 80k/hr, then what's the difference?

50cc scooters are known as LA class vehicles, under 50cc & speed limited to 50km/h. It is illegal to make them go over 50km/h. In Qld, WA & SA you can ride them on a car licence, everywhere else you need a bike licence which is why 50's aren't popular where they don't allow you to ride them on a car licence.

If you are only niping around a good derestricted 50 does the job, but its illegal.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-20-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Under ADR 50s are only allowed to go to 50km/h

In NSW you have LAMS and that will let you ride upto a 600cc Burgman.  You can get your dream scoot now and don't have to upgrade later.

The Jive with a faulty starter is way too much.

50s aren't too slow in Sydney, Kiwi was getting around on a 50 for ages.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 07-20-2009 01:45 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

It is correct in what he was saying a 125 for Sydney is always going to be better then a 50. Only because of the arterial roads system we have, and that is if you see yourself using it. So areas like the city link or victoria Rd etc are going to be uncomfortable on a 50.

Now that said Ive just been getting around town on a Vmoto Monza for a couple of weeks and for a scooter to duck down the shops or travel on the backroads then its fine. Truly no problem at all.... fun even. A 50 is light nimble and easy to handle. But to say a 50 will hold a steady 80 even in an unrestricted form is really stretching it.

Alot of the streets around the inner west where I live are now 50km/h , gee even Lyons Rd is now 50 Km/h all the way to victoria rd. So in areas like this then the 50 is perfect. Go outside the boundaries and then you will need to accept the limitations

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-20-2009 01:56 PM In reply to

• Olz07
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2009
    • Marrickville
    • Posts 4

Thanks everyone for your replies - I think I'll get a 125 straight-up after all!  If anyone hears of any deals on Aprilia Mojitos... :)

• 07-20-2009 05:36 PM In reply to

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again: 125cc offer significant advantages and no downside whatsoever compared to 50cc so the choice is clear to me.

I don't know of any deals on Aprilia Mojitos but I could do you a good deal on Kymco Agility: less than a year old, cosmetically a bit banged up but mechanically sound - perfect for a new user I reckon!  I'll let it go cheap and I'm just around the corner from you in Newtown. Get in touch with me if interested...

• 07-20-2009 08:33 PM In reply to

• Olz07
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2009
    • Marrickville
    • Posts 4

ferrix, thank you so much for the offer - but I'm looking for a more retro look - and thanks for your advice as well.

• 07-20-2009 08:59 PM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

In NSW you need your licence anyway so I'd go for at least the 125cc.

The Jive is too expensive.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 07-21-2009 07:29 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 457

Hi Leanda,

In my opinion it really depends on what and where you plan to ride your scooter.

I myself have a Vespa LX125 and i can tell you that i wouldn't want anything smaller if anything something bigger.  I've taken it on the F3 freeway for a short trip from Gosford to the end a few times and it maintains speed of about 100k/h, but that is ringing it's neck the whole time!  It keeps up well in Sydney traffic no problem but again i ride it quite hard.  One thing that helped me with my decision at the time was i paid special attention to the speeds that i was doing when i was driving and thought that i would probably be doing the same speeds (in order to keep up with traffic and not be a hazzard on the road) on my scoot so i would need something that could do this as a minimum, anything it could do over that would be a bonus!

Your scooter journey might start as a zip here or a zip there but it does become quite addictive and as you build your confidence and your experience you will probably find yourself wishing you had something bigger - and the confidence won't take long either!

Look forward to hearing what you end up with! Happy shopping and happy test riding

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!! IT'S A VESPA AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 07-22-2009 12:43 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,033

Olz07:

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum - I've been reading around and it looks like a worthwhile hub.

I just finished my learner's course and am keen to get a scooter.  Been looking at used ones, and called a place near Annandale.  The salesman said they no longer sell 50ccs because no one was buying them.  He said that I'll need a 125cc for Sydney traffic.

I might look at getting a 50cc for the next 3months till I get my P's, but I'm worried about resell value.

Am planning to test-ride a 50cc Bolwell Jive this afternoon - lady is selling for $1400 (but the electric start doesn't always work).  Miliage is only 1500km and it's a 2005 model........Also is this a decent deal?

Thanks in advance,

Leanda (newbie!)

you want something suitable for the city--get a dailim 125--they are fast,fussfree,cheap,reliable,bulletproof  and will be freeway useable--any smaller and you will most certainly get mowed down and killed

sorry to be so blunt,but in sydney you do need to be able to defend yourself.

happy scooting

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 07-22-2009 01:27 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

I personally think that 50cc aren't suitable anywhere in Australia.  Except maybe in small cities like Fremantle provided that is the only place you ride them.

We don't have the same cycle lane infrastructure like they have in Europe and the speed of the 50cc is very restrictive. I had one for 3 months and was mostly terrified so I quickly upgraded to a 250cc.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 07-22-2009 08:09 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

Pegasus:

I personally think that 50cc aren't suitable anywhere in Australia. 

After riding a 50cc for 1 year now, I totally agree.

• 07-22-2009 11:45 PM In reply to

• Olz07
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2009
    • Marrickville
    • Posts 4

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this post and give advice. :)

I ended up buying ferrix's Kymco Agility...now to practise practise practise!!

• 07-23-2009 08:29 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Congrats Olz - welcome to the madness.

I think you'll be very happy with the Agility

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au