Scooter
Community

Firenze belt replacement

Last post 06-03-2015 05:15 PM by Oliver. 39 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2009 06:08 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Re: Firenze belt replacement

Genuine parts are not consumables and this cannot be used to decline a warranty claim unless they can prove with facts that will stand up in a court that they contributed to the failure. If a part fails other than a consumable then whats the problem if the bike is still under warranty. it will only be when its out of warranty that you may consider non original parts. then its Caveat Emptor. The other proviso is that the bike has to be regularly serviced or a warranty may be declined, again proof is required regardless of what the dealer may claim. If it was my scooter I would fit a non geuine kevlar belt as they probably come out of the same factory anyway and also install Dr pulley sliders as these last longer than rollers and also improve a bike performance without affecting warranty.

Whats this GTS windscreen business the post is about a firenze belt replacement. hoooo posts sure go of track easily.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 09-23-2009 08:24 PM In reply to

Re: GTS windshield/flyscreen

One simple Question i asked and SelectScootas cant answer with a simple yes or no . i will try again is a drive belt a consumable or do you have to buy a Sym belt from a Sym dealer to safeguard the warranty 

• 09-23-2009 08:43 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

I have sym frienze 250cc scooter /motorbike , I would perfer to use non-geniune parts to the simply reason to save money, I personally think that Sym Geniune part are expensive , way overpriced compared to the non - genuine parts or aftermarket one, I have not seen one ,aftermarket part for the sym frienze /gts 250 / joymax 250i scooter on any online motorbike or scooter online shopping.

The reason that Sym scootas Select say you have to use genuine part , is one reason , to make money out of the retail price . How come dealer who sell the Sym scootas  dealers , can get spare parts , where the general public can not get spare parts  for their scootas  , I personally it one big money spinner ,for the Sym scootas select brand .

For a drive replacement belt to cost at a reatil price between $140 - $190.00 , where you can get car fan belt for alot less. I was reading an article the other day saying the top scootas brands are vespa,aprila,yamaha,honda.

• 09-23-2009 09:00 PM In reply to

A bit of track Lavacat but i had lawn tractor and the genuine  belts to drive the blades for that were pricey . Car fan belts did the job on that OK for a quarter of the price  

• 09-23-2009 09:50 PM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

Does anyone else find it weird that this thread starts titled as "Firenze belt replacement" and then switches to " GTS windsheild/flyscreen" WTF ???

PS - stop swinging ya handbags - your agendas are showin.

I was going to write a witty and clever comment here, then thought "naa screw it" -- I'm just gunna be a smart a$$.
  • 09-23-2009 09:56 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

You can't expect any company to extend warrany on a product if non genuine parts are used AND affect performance.

Its reasonable to use someone else's oil filter but if the engine seizes because the filter did not work then the supplier of the filter is responsible.  Buy a belt from Ebay and it wrecks the variator and your stuck with the bill.  Most companies will look at claims within reason but they won't loose money on stuff you "modified" such as changing a belt or brake pads.

As for price, I am impressed with the availability and cost of bits for my Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha.  All the models I have have been around for long product runs and bits are easily sourced.

One other point, if a workshop supplies a part and it fails they fix it including labour, if you provide the part and it fails, you pay for the labour to fix it as well as a new part.  Workshops have profit on parts they supply to provide a margin that includes labour on warranty.

Scooters are so simple I don't understand why more people don't do basic motorcycle maintenence courses and do the regular servicing themselves.  A bit of training and a few tools and a $190 belt does not look so expensive. 

A friend with Rolls Royce does his own servicing, aparently a lot of owners of older RRs do their own work and the RR spare parts guy knows them and their cars intimately.  A rear shock absorber rebuild kit cost him less than $30 for his 40 year old car and it was in stock in Melbourne.  I suspect the days of that sort of service are gone.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-24-2009 10:08 AM In reply to

There is no simple answer. Would SYM warrant your top end if you had a non gen belt fitted?, That would depend on more than just the belt(and a Firenze breaking,Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.) SYM do not warrant belts. At all. Yes they are consumable. What do you mean you cant buy parts?, Ring Yamaha,kwaka,suzuki,PSI, and try order parts.  While the hand book you get with your scooter is quite explisit in the do's and dont's(wich dose say that only gen parts are to be fitted) We have a genral rule to air on the side of generosity.

• 09-24-2009 10:15 AM In reply to

In saying all that If you want to maintain your warranty beyond any doubt it is best to a; get it serviced when your little book say's so

b; Use genuine parts

c; maintain a good service history(in that little book)

d; replace all parts at said intervals .

Mind you there is a HD 200 that was presented to a service center this week for it's 1st service,12mnths old, with 25,000 k's on the clock.

• 09-24-2009 10:35 AM In reply to

Service@SelectScootas:

Mind you there is a HD 200 that was presented to a service center this week for it's 1st service,12mnths old, with 25,000 k's on the clock.

I guess he's blown his warranty then.  Wink 

But your point is a good one.  Good quality machines are far less likely to have warranty issues than cheap ones.  And cheap quality after-market parts are more likely to have, and cause problems, than good quality ones.  We don't use or advocate cheap quality after-market parts - and I'm glad you've clarified the point that using genuine parts certainly simplifies the process for approving warranty, and that using non-genuine may not negate it, but may make it more difficult to get approval, which I definitely don't think is unreasonable. 

However I can also understand that where the warranty period is long, the service frequency is reasonably high, and the cost of genuine parts is perceived to be high, that customers might be looking to see where they can save themselves some money.  Particularly for items that might be considered consumables.  And perhaps that is somewhere that suppliers might want to review their spare-parts pricing structures on so that customers are encouraged to use genuine consumables, particularly where there are after-market consumables on the market which are of better quality and can be cheaper.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 09-24-2009 12:53 PM In reply to

Service@SelectScootas:
    Mind you there is a HD 200 that was presented to a service center this week for it's 1st service,12mnths old, with 25,000 k's on the clock
    What an epic effort from the mighty HD!!

But to continue with this discussion, and offer some clarity for the consumers- it would be fair to say that no importer offers warranty on consumables. This would include (but not be limited to) belts, rollers, clutch/brake shoes, batteries, tyres, fuels, oils, filters etc etc. However I imagine if a brand new genuine belt broke within days, then the relevant importer would probably exercise some discretion and would typically help the customer with a new part. I saw this recently with a set of brake shoes on a scoot, which crapped themselves within 2 days of delivery. This supplier was kind enough to supply another set, without pulling out the old "consumables" chestnut. So, while there is no warranty, you could assume there is still some product support in place when you use genuine parts over aftermarket.

But also, if a scooter was serviced as per the manual, and everything was done right, then an importer would have a tough time arguing that they weren't going to warrant a faulty dashboard assembly, just because a premium quality Malossi transmission belt was used instead of a genuine part. Obviously the choice of belt has nothing to do with the dashboard assembly!! And, of course, there are a great many similar scenarios.

But if a manufacturer's spec calls for a belt 22mm wide, and a consumer fits an "equivalent" Malossi/Dayco/whatever belt at 22.75mm wide, and this in some way causes a malfunction within the transmission, then the scooter importer cannot be expected to warrant anything to do with that malfunction. And interestingly, some of the aftermarket manufacturers list an equivalent product, which is actually very slightly different in spec to the factory part! I've seen belts slightly wider or skinnier than factory parts, and have had to file the backing plate on brake pads to make them fit- and these are all parts that claim to be "correct spec equivalents".... So buyer beware, and check the proper specs, and ahere to them strictly. And if you don't want to buy factory parts, be sure to buy premium quality, name brand parts that are made to the same minimum specification!

I know Select is the only one that has participated in this conversation, but it applies to all importers ultimately...

Lavacat:
    For a drive replacement belt to cost at a reatil price between $140 - $190.00 , where you can get car fan belt for alot less.
    The only similarity between a fan belt and a transmission belt is the colour. Transmission belts are under a lot more stress, and in a different way, to fan belts- so never try and use anything but a proper transmission belt.

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 09-24-2009 01:25 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Lavacat :
    For a drive replacement belt to cost at a reatil price between $140 - $190.00.

At the end of the day Select are here to make money and so is the dealer. If they don’t make money then they go bust and don’t exist. It seems that on one hand people complain that there isn’t enough choice in the market place with scooters but at the same time they don’t want to support the same importers by buying genuine spare parts from them. It’s a brave move to become an importer of scooters to Australia. Instead of criticising these people you should make an extra effort to buy their genuine spares to make sure they stay in business.

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 09-24-2009 02:05 PM In reply to

I don't mind paying for a genuine part if its a reasonable fair price . Awhile back a farmer in NZ bought a switch for a John Deear tractor .Now this switch was made by the same company & was identical . In a John Deere box it was a lot more Expensive to the one in a Lucas box and you guessed it the no brand box a lot cheaper still . A lot of money for a nice box me thinks . What is a fair mark up on spares i no that you have to store them and keep them till its sold but fast sell items should be competitively priced 

• 09-24-2009 06:49 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

I totally agree with you about supporting the importer and dealer , but the mark up on geniune parts compared to after market parts ,there is a real price difference . Dealers and importers should be competitive in the market place , where the actual customer ,do not want to pay retail price anymore , customers  who are buying genuine parts , always looking for a bargin , to stay competitive in the market of selling scooters or providing spare parts should always be competitive priced , compared to your other companies who sell other brands of scootas as well.

The more the dealers and importers , put the prices up , protential customers who geniunely looking for a scooter,

will more turned way from buying a scooter or genuine spare parts.

E2W:

Lavacat :
    For a drive replacement belt to cost at a reatil price between $140 - $190.00.

At the end of the day Select are here to make money and so is the dealer. If they don’t make money then they go bust and don’t exist. It seems that on one hand people complain that there isn’t enough choice in the market place with scooters but at the same time they don’t want to support the same importers by buying genuine spare parts from them. It’s a brave move to become an importer of scooters to Australia. Instead of criticising these people you should make an extra effort to buy their genuine spares to make sure they stay in business.

• 09-24-2009 06:54 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Lavacat :
    but the mark up on geniune parts compared to after market parts

...but what if that aftermarket part is sub-standard quality? perhaps thats why there is a price difference?

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 09-24-2009 07:21 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

I worked in the heavy truck industry a long time ago.  The particular company I worked for actively bought the old trucks of their brand to wreck them at the national dealer level.

This was done to support their own reconditioning business, remove dodgy second hand parts that could affect the reputation of the brand and discourage competition from alternate spares providers.  Wreckers are a common source of pirate parts being put in re-conditioned assemblies.

There were parts providers bringing in pirated parts from South America and of course companies like Bosch who offered proprietory parts often common to several brands.

On several occasions we were provided samples of pirated parts being offered to fleets for our comments.  All the parts we examined would fit the trucks but none had the construction and features to provide durability and strength to come close to the OEM parts.

On several ocassions we were involved in helping customers who were in trouble with failures from pirate parts (some parts were even fitted by dealers as original).   This is an old story that will keep reoccuring just like faded pirate tail light lenses on cars  fitted by panel beaters to make a few extra bucks.

If you don't have the skill to understand the risks of using pirate parts then don't take the risk.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au