Scooter
Community

A sad time for Tassie riders as the economy continues to take its toll.

Last post 11-27-2009 06:42 PM by steve@ace. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2009 11:11 PM In reply to

Re: A sad time for Tassie riders as the economy continues to take its toll.

I'm saddened, Cam. I had hoped to visit Tasmania one day & to spend time at your shop -- of which I have only ever heard good things. My best wishes to you & your family as you go through this difficult time of change.

Mack Truck
  • 11-26-2009 08:34 AM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

Very much a shame Cameron.  The very best to you and the family in the future. 

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 11-26-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

i am sorry to read about having to close your shop. i hope you can stay on the forum.

all the best on your future endevours

argentum melle
  • 11-26-2009 08:37 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

A sad day for Tasmanians its time small communities like Tasmania learnt to work together and help each other grow instead of the me me approach. We can turn things around by starting with the government and working together to implement the story relating to the Muddy pond called Australia, see it on www.saveoz.info

Cams story should be a wakeup call to everyone in this country.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 11-26-2009 10:19 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Growing up in the 60s people frowned at those who knocked our beloved "capitalism" and referred to such dissidents as "commie bastards" or "reds", and yet here we see another example of how the unlevel playing field of large, multinational corporations conspire as a matter of course to gradually eliminate any opposition, either by buying them out or undercutting them to the point that they can longer survive.  It is only when we have a personal link to such an event that it hits home in all its blatant greed and lust for a bigger share of the market.  Within the motorcycle/motorscooter industry, here in the great land of Oz, it is amazing how big players can agree to carve up not only the physical areas for distributorships, but also who sells what brands.

We take pride in our democratic economic system and look down on those unfortunate countries with dictatorships and dare I say it, government controlled, economies.  Neither of these have free trade .... do they?  But here in the "West" anyone can aspire to being a successful business person.  We even have legal bodies to ensure that free trade practices are upheld and that there is no collusion between large cartels for price fixing.  .... and so they all lived happily everafter.

Cam and Rosemary, again my best wises to you both for happiness.  Unfortunately, capitalism is a nasty business model and its rarely the god guys who make it.  But you certainly can both rest assred that you did make a difference and we are very grateful for the glimpses of real personal service that you gave us.  It's a pity that there isn't such a thing as a level playing field where capitalism reigns supreme.

Thanks a million, keep smiling and take care,  Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 11-27-2009 07:32 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

A big thanks Cam for everything you have contributed to not only scootersales, the community and the industry but also to me personally. I know its not the end and you will still have touch in a number of ways but a big thanks for your efforts needs to be said regardless.

All the best coming up in your new endeavor and the whole community is sad to see you go... Take care buddy

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 11-27-2009 09:54 AM In reply to

miketl:

We even have legal bodies to ensure that free trade practices are upheld and that there is no collusion between large cartels for price fixing. 

If only that were true.  It is my experience that these bodies do nothing to protect those that do the right thing as they rarely prosecute those that do the wrong thing.  How many dealers over the last two years have been prosecuted for misleading advertising?  How many back-yarders have been prosecuted or closed down?   Unfortunately these bodies are a joke. The guys that do the right thing get no protection whatsoever due to the inert laziness of these government bodies who simply let bad practice continue because its too damned hard to do anything about it.

As you say, there is nothing fair about capitalism, but Tasmanians have voted with their feet, and if that means they no longer get the quality support from their scootering needs as they did before, then unfortunately they need to accept the responsibility for that too.  Unfortunately the fixation that Australia seems to have with price often blinkers them to the concepts of service and value.  The reality is that if you don't support your local businesses with your custom, then don't be surprised when they have to close down.  And unfortunately all of us are at risk.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-27-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

miketl:

We even have legal bodies to ensure that free trade practices are upheld and that there is no collusion between large cartels for price fixing. 

Ahh.  On re-reading your post I now detect the very subtle sarcasm.  Geeked

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-27-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

If only that were true.  It is my experience that these bodies do nothing to protect those that do the right thing as they rarely prosecute those that do the wrong thing.  How many dealers over the last two years have been prosecuted for misleading advertising?  How many back-yarders have been prosecuted or closed down?   Unfortunately these bodies are a joke. The guys that do the right thing get no protection whatsoever due to the inert laziness of these government bodies who simply let bad practice continue because its too damned hard to do anything about it.

As you say, there is nothing fair about capitalism, but Tasmanians have voted with their feet, and if that means they no longer get the quality support from their scootering needs as they did before, then unfortunately they need to accept the responsibility for that too.  Unfortunately the fixation that Australia seems to have with price often blinkers them to the concepts of service and value.  The reality is that if you don't support your local businesses with your custom, then don't be surprised when they have to close down.  And unfortunately all of us are at risk.

Sorry to hear you about your business Cam, all the best to you and your family.

Steve, you have a good point. I have attempted to support not only my local dealer but other dealers in SEQ. I feel that a mistake I made was while trying to support a number of dealers at once I should have focussed with my local dealer. My local dealer has been good to me with professional service and advice and I support them fully now. In my efforts in supporting others I can encountered a number of different styles of business so the business that you support has to feel right to you. If you don't get good service or qualified advice you wouldn't go there would you?

I have also come to notice at least one dealer in SEQ that is not licenced which is genuine concern. Everybody is able to search to make sure your dealer is currently licenced which is important to our (the consumer's) security. It seems that the scooter industry is suffering so why would a consumer put their hard earned money into a shonky trader when they are likely to fall over tomorrow and not be there to support you in the long term. People have the power when it comes to a business' success so vote with your feet, I have, its time to buy local and support local.

Here is a link check if you Qld dealer is licenced...............
    http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/are-you-licensed.htm

Rob  Geeked

• 11-27-2009 01:05 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Forcing people to have licences to conduct trade is part of the problem . its time people understood what is really going on in our world instead of being mislead and misinformed on the true facts. Licences is what  slaves require, sovereign men and women dont permission to live and carry on a business as they are able to think for themselves instead of letting others think for them.

• 11-27-2009 01:20 PM In reply to

niks:

Forcing people to have licences to conduct trade is part of the problem . its time people understood what is really going on in our world instead of being mislead and misinformed on the true facts. Licences is what  slaves require, sovereign men and women dont permission to live and carry on a business as they are able to think for themselves instead of letting others think for them.

Licenses also ensure that the person looking after your prematurely born baby, or the person that builds your house, is actually qualified to do so.  If that makes me a slave, then I'll take that.  Whilst I have a lot of trust in most of my fellow humans, there is a distinct minority who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.  And whilst you may not need to, I certainly want to be protected from them. 

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-27-2009 01:28 PM In reply to

niks:
    Forcing people to have licences to conduct trade is part of the problem . its time people understood what is really going on in our world instead of being mislead and misinformed on the true facts. Licences is what  slaves require, sovereign men and women dont permission to live and carry on a business as they are able to think for themselves instead of letting others think for them

Redtape is real issues for small business but there has to be a level of accountability somewhere I would say. I am sure Bernie Madoff is a Sovereign man who is able to think for himself considering he created one of the largest Ponzi schemes in the world and he did quite well defrauding billions of dollars from people who trusted him. 

If you are a plumber you need a licence. Imagine if you got a backyard guy in to hook up the gas to the family home and wasn't qualified. Boom! 

What about if you work with children you require a blue card, proving you aren't a danger to them and that is good thing that there is a level of structure and accountability really.

• 11-27-2009 01:30 PM In reply to

rpmorrell:

I feel that a mistake I made was while trying to support a number of dealers at once I should have focussed with my local dealer. My local dealer has been good to me with professional service and advice and I support them fully now. In my efforts in supporting others I can encountered a number of different styles of business so the business that you support has to feel right to you. If you don't get good service or qualified advice you wouldn't go there would you?

I have also come to notice at least one dealer in SEQ that is not licenced which is genuine concern. Everybody is able to search to make sure your dealer is currently licenced which is important to our (the consumer's) security. It seems that the scooter industry is suffering so why would a consumer put their hard earned money into a shonky trader when they are likely to fall over tomorrow and not be there to support you in the long term. People have the power when it comes to a business' success so vote with your feet, I have, its time to buy local and support local.

Here is a link check if you Qld dealer is licenced...............
    http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/are-you-licensed.htm

Rob  Geeked

Rob - I think that's exactly the approach.  These aren't widgets we are selling - so relationships with the dealer are actually important.

I'm hugely grateful for the many great customers that we have who are genuinely concerned about how we are tracking through this downturn. 

The alternative Brave New World?  Well, wasn't it just a couple of years ago that Vmoto announced a massive deal with a Spanish supermarket chaing to sell their scooters?  And I wonder who is going to do the servicing and look after all the warranty problems?  Would you like your scooter pre-delivered by a shelf stacker?

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-27-2009 04:50 PM In reply to

niks:

Big Smile niks that is the stupidest think you have said in a while made me laugh anyway Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-27-2009 06:13 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

steve@ace:

niks:

Licenses also ensure that the person looking after your prematurely born baby, or the person that builds your house, is actually qualified to do so.  If that makes me a slave, then I'll take that.  Whilst I have a lot of trust in most of my fellow humans, there is a distinct minority who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.  And whilst you may not need to, I certainly want to be protected from them. 

Oh sorry matey I was under the impression one had to produce trade papers or a certificate of competency to prove they could build or carry out electrical work , licences were just the government imposing an illegal tax on them so they could put their training into practice. many people hold licences but do not have any evidence of competency just look at our road users.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au