Scooter
Community

Vespa GTS performance mods - the results are in!!

Last post 01-29-2010 08:51 AM by Mike Holland. 91 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2009 08:35 PM

Vespa GTS performance mods - the results are in!!

After spending the best part of a day down at Ace testing - modifying - building - better - stronger - faster etc... here are the results

Stock GTS

0-50km/h    4.35s

0-70km/h    7.05s

0-80km/h    9.00s

0-90km/h    11.18s

0-100km/h   14.30s

GTS with Dr Pulley sliders (13g)

0-50km/h    3.55s

0-70km/h    6.45s

0-80km/h    8.25s

0-90km/h    10.65s

0-100km/h   13.50s

So the Dr Pulley Sliders really help with pick up off the line - REALLY help - they are an under $50 modification that automatically takes the GTS 250ie in to the 300 super territory (and maybe even quicker).  It reduced the 0-100 time by almost a full second!  That is an amazing result.

After being so pleased with these results we decided to venture furthar into the unknown and fit a K&N pod filter built especially for motorbikes and scooters.  The first thing we noticed was the AWESOME noise made by it.  All of a sudden Stebel horns are irrelevant! :D  Then I took the GTS out for a spin on the same stretch of road to do the same tests.. again... man i am beginning to hate that stretch of road!!!

0-50km/h    3.6s

0-70km/h    5.91s

0-80km/h    7.58s

0-90km/h    10.05s

0-100km/h   12.90s

WOW!  The K&N pod filter not only sounds awesome but it adds better performance figures yet again!  The K&N pod filter combined with Dr Pulley sliders cost less than $100.  And took off 1.4seconds from the 0-100 time!

Various other members of the forum were around to see the installation and the testing and then took the scooters for a ride too - every single person came back with the same expression "Wow!"  Not only that but Bill plugged in his testing thingy to see A/F ratios and Lambda info... everything was running perfectly still.  So from the knowledge that we have gained (I have made these mods to my Beverly and been riding for approx 2,000km) from experience AND now from actual scientific measurement, my conclusion is this - These two modifications have to be the best bang for your buck performance modification for a Quasar engine available.

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-22-2009 09:00 PM In reply to

Re: Vespa GTS performance mods - the results are in!!

Thats a good result for a $100 outlay

• 12-23-2009 02:11 AM In reply to

pyrah:

Thats a good result for a $100 outlay

to be honest that is a ridiculous result for that outlay - i had to put $1000+ worth of mods on my car to get that kind of improvement.  The best part of the whole thing is that the time difference is probably the least impressive result of the whole experiemnt. The best part was how ridable and how ready the power is available even at 80km/h and up now.  When you want to open up the throttle, it no longer feels like you are just "rolling a little bit faster" but you are truly accelerating.

I think if you are in Perth/WA and you own a Quasar you need to go bug Steve to "fix" your Vespa/Beverly/Sportscity/ whatever it is that you are riding.  It is so cheap and the results are excellent.

I went into the test today thinking that the Vespa would not respond as well as the Beverly did and that Adam's vespa would be disappointing in it's results - I was never so happy to be wrong!

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-23-2009 07:42 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 258

bunnybash:
    The first thing we noticed was the AWESOME noise made by it.

Did I bookmark a Kawasaki forum by accident..? >_>

• 12-23-2009 11:46 AM In reply to

Hehehehe!  Yeah, the extra noise from the Pod filter might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say, the results were impressive particularly given the financial outlay.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-23-2009 01:47 PM In reply to

angry induction sound = awesome

Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 12-23-2009 02:12 PM In reply to

angry doesn't begin to describe it! Angry

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-23-2009 02:57 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

How about a part number for the filter, heheh. Also, installation? Is it easy or hard? Looks like some formidable results, and would like to take a look into it. Wonder how those would go with a LV4R also.
    DOZER.
  • 12-23-2009 05:22 PM In reply to

• Dunit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-08-2008
    • Posts 22

Any recommendations on who can do this in Melbourne on a Scarabeo 250ie?

Big Smile

• 12-23-2009 06:04 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Dunit:

Try GPS Imports, 88 Hoddle Street, Abbotsford.  They also trade as Aprilia Melbourne.

Will be interested to hear how you go.

Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 12-23-2009 08:58 PM In reply to

Dunit:

Big Smile

Word on the street is that Ace might be stocking the appropriate parts and installing this yourself is pretty simple - or if you just take the parts down to whoever services your scooter they can do it.  It shouldn't take more than 45mins I believe.  

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-23-2009 10:29 PM In reply to

dozer.:
    How about a part number for the filter, heheh. Also, installation? Is it easy or hard? Looks like some formidable results, and would like to take a look into it. Wonder how those would go with a LV4R also.

Hey Dozer, the filter used was a K and N RD-0600 (a motorbike filter). It was fitted to the end of the pipe that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Remove the airbox, and just slide the filter onto that conecting pipe and tighten, and done! It is a tight fit on the pipe, which is preferable. On the Vespa the K and N is hidden by the body work, and will not be visible without removing the boot liner plastic.

If you look down inside, with the boot liner out, you see the  pipe from the throttle body to the airbox.

The vespa was not as loud as the beverly, probably because the filter sits right up inside the bodywork. But, still a noise comparable to a new exhaust.

The weights for the vespa were 13gram Dr Pulleys. The beverley has 11 gram weights, and is a little faster. The weights and filter are very logical modifications as they are both consumable items, which need to be replaced anyway. Replacing them with the higher performance units is more or less the same cost as replacing with OEM gear.

Bunnybash is right, the 0-100 times are impressive, but the responsiveness of the scooter is the biggest change.

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 12-23-2009 11:24 PM In reply to

adamtassell:

dozer.:

Hey Dozer, the filter used was a K and N RD-0600 (a motorbike filter). It was fitted to the end of the pipe that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Remove the airbox, and just slide the filter onto that conecting pipe and tighten, and done! It is a tight fit on the pipe, which is preferable. On the Vespa the K and N is hidden by the body work, and will not be visible without removing the boot liner plastic.

If you look down inside, with the boot liner out, you see the  pipe from the throttle body to the airbox.

The vespa was not as loud as the beverly, probably because the filter sits right up inside the bodywork. But, still a noise comparable to a new exhaust.

The weights for the vespa were 13gram Dr Pulleys. The beverley has 11 gram weights, and is a little faster. The weights and filter are very logical modifications as they are both consumable items, which need to be replaced anyway. Replacing them with the higher performance units is more or less the same cost as replacing with OEM gear.

Bunnybash is right, the 0-100 times are impressive, but the responsiveness of the scooter is the biggest change.

Hey Adam,

Are you saying that changing the airbox to one of these filters you mention will make the same change in sound as a performance exhaust? In which case, is a new exhaust not really worth the extra money?

PS..Just for fun info. My spies tell me there is now a third performance exhaust available for the Scarabeo 500. Your Giannelli is one, the Mivv CityRun is another, and a third is a G&G which is interchangeable between Nexus 500 & Scarabeo500. The G&G is black, looks very nice, but seems more expensive than the other two available. 

Mack Truck
  • 12-24-2009 12:33 AM In reply to

You are correct the sound from the filter change is like putting on an exhaust... but if you add an exhaust then you can expect more power again... so the exhaust becomes a performance modification rather than a noise only mod...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 12-24-2009 12:46 AM In reply to

Next performance mod in the works (or the mail i guess!) is a Giannelli Iperscoot exhaust.  After talking with Steve from Ace i realised that the next obvious order for mods is to go from the exhaust back.  The first performance mods (filter and sliders) is so cheap that it easily comes in as the first mod to be considered.  So here is the mod

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Exhaust-Giannelli-Iperscoot-Piaggio-Vespa-GTS-250-05-07_W0QQitemZ200413719864QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item2ea996ad38#ht_2628wt_1034

It is obviously for the Vespa GTS not my Beverly - but at the moment I am unemployed so my friend is supplying his GTS (same one all the testing has been performed on.)  When I get a job i plan on getting a Giannelli for my Beverly too!

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au