Scooter
Community

Good riding scools in Perth

Last post 02-27-2010 05:34 PM by Scooternut. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2010 02:07 PM

Good riding scools in Perth

Hi, I'm after the standard 250cc motorbike lessons, so I can ride > 50cc scooters legally. :)

Are there any suggestions as to good riding schools in the Leederville / North Perth area or thereabouts?

Many thanks!

• 02-22-2010 04:06 PM In reply to

Re: Good riding scools in Perth

you want a motorbike lesson so you can ride a 50cc scooter? Do you think you might want to upgrade later? If not, and I'm assuming you don't have a car license, you could always go for the "moped" or R-N license.  This is the same test as the motorbike license but restricts the rider to 50cc scooters. You can also go for the RE-A license (if you're 17 & over) which is just like the motorbike license but restricts you to automatic vehicles, just like a car license. What you will go for will depend on your circumstances, needs & what you turn up to the test on. ie if you are on an automatic you'll get the auto license, manual & you'll get the manual license.

Your best bet is Alert Motorcycle School. They're in Bayswater so not too far away from you. These guys are great in that they teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about riding safely on the road, not just what you need to know to pass the test.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-22-2010 04:22 PM In reply to

Thanks. No, I want the 250cc licence so I can ride "> 50cc" (">" means "greater than").

I've booked in for Alert, they will provide a bike and everything (I don't have one yet) so that's excellent.

• 02-22-2010 10:18 PM In reply to

hmph. Yeah I know that, just missed it while having a quick peek at the site from work. Stick out tongue

I've done Alert's Advanced Roadcraft course & found it fantastic value for money, so much so that I intend to do the course every couple of years ot keep on top of any bad habits that may creep in. I'm currently in the process of seeing if they will do a similar course for the smaller engined scooters... stay tuned.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-22-2010 10:31 PM In reply to

But such a well thought out reply after just a quick peek? I'm not convinced. ;)

I'll report back after my first 90-minute lesson. It's good to learn from someone into their stuff. If all motorists were like that about cars, we'd probably have less accidents.

• 02-22-2010 11:39 PM In reply to

Don't bite the hand that feeds you Big Smile

• 02-22-2010 11:53 PM In reply to

I'm just kidding around. ";)" = wink. heh.

pyrah:
     Don't bite the hand that feeds you Big Smile

• 02-26-2010 07:00 PM In reply to

Turns out I need to get learner's permit before I can take lessons.. doh!

Is the learner's permit for a bike just a set of questions, or do they do the whole shebang - eye test, etc?

Is there somewhere online I can get the background reading for the questions?

• 02-27-2010 02:21 PM In reply to

Eeps! silly me, didn't even think to mention that very important fact! Sorry.

Yes you will fill out a form stating medical conditions, a friend recently had to get a medical certificate stating she was right to ride for her learner's permit(!), have to do an eye test then the practical test. If you need glasses to read take them along although it will mean you'll have to wear prescriptions while riding.

To have a look at the test (study hard, it's SO difficult! *sarcastic laugh*) go to the Dept of Transport website

Wanda
  • 02-27-2010 03:30 PM In reply to

Thanks Sn. If you already have a normal car drivers' licence, do you have to do the eye test etc, or just answer the questions?

• 02-27-2010 05:34 PM In reply to

unfortunately you do. but then, I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I'm legally blind in my right eye. When renewing my license a few months back I had an eye test with the DPI, an eye test with an optometrist & again with the DPI, as well as jumping through a variety of other hoops, before they would renew my license.

Wink

Wanda
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au