Scooter
Community

Is this true - you don't need to know road rules to ride a scooter/motorbike?!

Last post 03-09-2013 11:05 AM by awa355. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 07:50 PM

Is this true - you don't need to know road rules to ride a scooter/motorbike?!

According to the Dept of Transport, you can get an R-N (moped) or R-E (250cc) bike licence without first having a car licence. All you need to do is correctly answer 12 out of 15 really basic questions. What they call the "motorcycle theory test". 15 questions!

So you an get a scooter/motorbike licence without knowing anything about road signs or any other rules about driving.. nothing about traffic lights, signs, lines on the road, pedestrian crossings, nothing!

I'm a newbie to bikes and only just getting my R-E learners, but this doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it terribly dangerous to send a teenager out on a motorbike without needing a normal car licence or know anything about road rules?

• 02-26-2010 08:22 PM In reply to

Re: Is this true - you don't need to know road rules to ride a scooter/motorbike?!

If you don't have a car license then you have to pass the road rules theory test first

• 02-26-2010 08:52 PM In reply to

Re: Is this true - you don't need to know road rules to ride a scooter/motorbike?!

That's a relief.. it seemed to say, particularly for mopeds, that all you need is to be 16 or a parental signoff. Seemed a bit odd.

• 07-18-2011 02:14 PM In reply to

You have to take a similar test to get your (car) L's - so L's drivers don't know the road rules either.

• 07-18-2011 02:38 PM In reply to

nascentrider:

According to the Dept of Transport, you can get an R-N (moped) or R-E (250cc) bike licence without first having a car licence. All you need to do is correctly answer 12 out of 15 really basic questions. What they call the "motorcycle theory test". 15 questions!

So you an get a scooter/motorbike licence without knowing anything about road signs or any other rules about driving.. nothing about traffic lights, signs, lines on the road, pedestrian crossings, nothing!

I'm a newbie to bikes and only just getting my R-E learners, but this doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it terribly dangerous to send a teenager out on a motorbike without needing a normal car licence or know anything about road rules?

Not necessarily true. Here in the golden state of WA we have to do a theory test to get your LEARNERs permit. This is true for R-N and RE. That's where the 15 questions come into play. From there you attend lessons up until a point where you or your instructor (hopefully a good instructor who will teach you how to remain alive on the road rather than just showing you what you need to pass the test) feel confident that you have some chance of passing the practical test. You attend the practical test, rocking up with your instructor who waits while you do the test with an examiner. If you're lucky & pass then you're free to ride proudly displaying your red P plate. If not then... it's more lessons & another test until you do pass.

Even this explanation is a little simplified but it's all my poor sleep deprived brain is capable of coming up with right now.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 07-18-2011 02:59 PM In reply to

Wink And to make it interesting every state & territory have there own way of doing things Stick out tongue 

• 03-04-2013 07:05 PM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

Looking at some of the riding AND driving on this side of the ditch, you dont need to know too many rules to pass any licience test. 

Awa and Buggsy
  • 03-05-2013 12:20 PM In reply to

awa355:

Looking at some of the riding AND driving on this side of the ditch, you dont need to know too many rules to pass any licience test. 

Ick! Yep when i moved from UK to NZ in 87 was amazed at the standard of driving Big Smile

• 03-09-2013 11:05 AM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

We dont have a 'standard'???  Anything goes over here.

An english man told me that in the UK, as part of his test,he had to be able to reverse around a rt angle corner keeping the same distance out from the curb. Nothing like that here. 

Reversing into a  parallel park is a basic skill that seems to to be beyond many drivers ability. 

Motorcycle licence testing has toughened up a lot recently. but then riding in NZ seems to be an easy target for those wanting to be seen to be droping the road toll.

Awa and Buggsy
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au