Scooter
Community

Can someone explain why this test question was wrong?

Last post 07-04-2010 04:48 PM by TRA. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 08:10 PM

Can someone explain why this test question was wrong?

I just answered a set of road rules questions online for fun, and got this one wrong.

I'm not sure why it's wrong though... can someone explain? I thought the car going straight had right of way?

• 02-26-2010 08:28 PM In reply to

Re: Can someone explain why this test question was wrong?

i think its a unmarked junction so the give way to the right rule would apply

• 02-26-2010 08:49 PM In reply to

ahh.. I thought that might be the case, but still seems a little ambiguous. The two rules contradict each other.. a) give way to the right, or b) give way to traffic going straight.

• 02-26-2010 10:06 PM In reply to

nascentrider:
    seems a little ambiguous. The two rules contradict each other.. a) give way to the right, or b) give way to traffic going straight.

No, not really. This is an "uncontrolled intersection" (no signs, no markings, no lights etc) and in that case you give way to the right.

THERE IS NO SUCH RULE AS "GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD"- never has been, never will be. We only give way to traffic going straight ahead when we are being directed to do so by a sign, marking or light etc. There is no "uncontrolled" situation where the traffic moving straight ahead has the default right of way. Sorry to harp on a bit about this, but if you're on the road thinking that straight ahead traffic has right of way, then we're in trouble- especially if you're the one going straight ahead through an uncontrolled intersection.

• 02-26-2010 11:16 PM In reply to

I would be very surprised if a driver, approaching a crossroads at say 60km/h, will think, "hm, no signs, and there's a car wanting to enter and turn in front of me, I had better slow down so he can."

The rule may be that he must stop to let the car turn in front of him, but perhaps that's a dangerous rule (in that situation).

I'm thinking about a car in motion, not two people sitting still at the intersection with time to think about it.

But I'll remember the rule in that situation it and apply it - ONLY when I'm the one going straight. If I'm the one turning, I'm sure as anything going to wait for the cars to whizz by before I turn out, not assume they will remember this rule and let me. That would be dangerous.

• 02-27-2010 02:03 PM In reply to

nascentrider:
    I would be very surprised if a driver, approaching a crossroads at say 60km/h, will think, "hm, no signs, and there's a car wanting to enter and turn in front of me, I had better slow down so he can."

Mate!, You're an idiot!!! because the only person thinking that would be you. Everyone else would be more conscious of the rules and rights on the road.

Nuff Said. I bet you'll realise your error when you plow into the side of a bus who's turningor heading straight across from your right.

nascentrider:
    I'm thinking about a car in motion, not two people sitting still at the intersection with time to think about it.

This is irrelevant because you should be expecting the need to giveway to the right regardless  no matter what you're doing. Stopped or moving or otherwise.  It's the same as arriving at a giveway sign.  You GIVEWAY to any traffic Stopped or moving that's on your right (and left as well because you're controlled by a sign, not just trundle forward expecting them to giveway to yield to you. The only time you don't need to giveway to traffic on your right is if they are turning left but then the best thing to do is not trust anyone and wait until you're sure the are turning left.

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 02-27-2010 03:32 PM In reply to

K-star:
    Mate!, You're an idiot!!! because the only person thinking that would be you. Everyone else would be more conscious of the rules and rights on the road.

"Mate", you didn't read what I said. Read it again before being abusive thanks.

Oh, and keep in mind that hardly anyone knows what to do at a friggin roundabout, nevermind a situation like that, so your assessment of everyone else's perfect road skiils is somewhat illusory. I've saved myself from accidents at roundabout MANY times, from assuming that other people (from the left) aren't going to slow down for me, don't know what to do or are indicating incorrectly.

That's basically what I'm saying about the above situation - which is basically a roundabout without the roundabout, or any signs. I take on that I didn't understand that one point, but I will still be cautious about other people knowing what to do. If accepting I was incorrect and discussing it makes me an idiot in your eyes, then perhaps that says more about your eyesight, or you just didn't understanding what I'm saying.

Why don't you try doing the online driving test and if you get 100% then come back and feel superior. Otherwise just accept that everyone has a hole in their knowledge here and there. I asked the question and accepted the answer, saying I'll still be cautious. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• 02-27-2010 08:13 PM In reply to

nascentrider:
    If accepting I was incorrect and discussing it makes me an idiot in your eyes, then perhaps that says more about your eyesight, or you just didn't understanding what I'm saying.

Kapwing!!!! Yeah, my eyesight is really crap. Let's hope I give way to the right ( or the wrong...) But basically it boils down to the fact I don't really give a rats. You can drive/ride however you like. Just be prepared to accept the consequences.

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 02-27-2010 08:37 PM In reply to

K-star:
    But basically it boils down to the fact I don't really give a rats.

That's not quite true. You give a rats enough to criticise someone. Just not enough to back it up with any reasonable discussion. Top stuff mate.

• 03-10-2010 05:51 PM In reply to

• GarryL
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Hornsby, NSW
    • Posts 173

straight from Road Users Handbook page 83

give way RULES WHERE THERE ARE NO SIGNS
    Some crossroads have no traffic lights or signs. Generally if you’re turning across
    another vehicle’s path, you must give way.

Road Users Handbook

• 03-10-2010 06:11 PM In reply to

GarryL:
    Generally if you’re turning across another vehicle’s path, you must give way.

Woah.. Thanks for that Garry. if I understand correctly, that seems to contradict the test answer.

I did think the turning car had to give way, which is why I got it wrong.. I don't understand why the test case is an exception?

• 03-10-2010 08:24 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

nascentrider:
    can someone explain? I thought the car going straight had right of way?

I just confirmed with the Tasmanian Road Rules Handbook (I understand that all states are in agreement on most road rules now) and it states

for an uncontrolled intersection....before going straight ahead, give way to traffic coming from your right that is going straight ahead or turning right.

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 03-10-2010 09:30 PM In reply to

miketl:
    before going straight ahead, give way to traffic coming from your right that is going straight ahead or turning right.

Ah, it makes perfect sense now - I didn't think of the car to the right going straight ahead. If you're both doing that, and it's uncontrolled, then the give way to right rule applies. doh... didn't consider that, I was only thinking of the "turning" situation. Cheers!

Good thing they're a rarity. Never come across one, except in the country, in which case I always slow right down to check for cars crossing, can't be too careful. If there's any doubt there I always give way to the right, or to anyone really.. especially if it looks like they live there. :)

• 03-10-2010 09:44 PM In reply to

Living in rural north Queensland town for 2 years sharpened me up to the give way to the right rule

• 03-11-2010 08:06 AM In reply to

• GarryL
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Hornsby, NSW
    • Posts 173

Vehicle X is turning across vehicle Y's path therefore must give way

There is no mention of giving way to a vehicle on your right which would entail vehicle Y giving way

The test answer is correct

This is for NSW but i assume the other states are the same

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au