Scooter
Community

Various Maxi scooters on the market:

Last post 04-18-2008 03:48 PM by Scooter HQ. 61 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2007 05:58 PM

Various Maxi scooters on the market:

Thought I'd start a thread listing the Maxi Scooters on the market:

Yamaha Majesty, TMax

Honda Forza, Silverwing

Suzuki Burgman

Piaggio X8, X9, MP3, X Evo

Bug (Kymco) Hawk, XCiting

Bolwell Firenze, Legrande

Gilera Nexus, GP800, Fuoco

Aprilia Scarabeo, Mana (technically not quite a scoot, but it's automatic, so I consider it close enough)

Peugeot Satelis 

There's probably another half dozen or so that I can't think of at the moment, so if anyone else wants to help and post them for me I'd be most appreciative.

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.

Cheers :)

(edit: thankyou gerbi, I had forgotten them!)

(further edit: thankyou for the extra info gerbi) 

• 10-10-2007 06:05 PM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

Re: Various Maxi scooters on the market:

Hi.

I'd add the Gilera Nexus 500, the Kymco Xciting 500 (eventually, it has been on the cards for ages so hopefully before the end of the year will in the Showrooms) and I think the Scarabeo 500 falls into the Maxi category.

I'd love to see the new Gilera GP800 imported as well but I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you.

• 10-10-2007 11:15 PM In reply to

• flasho
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 116

What about the caf'e-late 1200cc !!! nah just kidding ! but one day maybe?.......Pete.  { X9 500 }  

• 10-11-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

I don't think that will be too far away;-)

Have a look at this:

http://www.apriliamana.com/index.html?lang=eng

Aprilia has just launched this bike which is fully automatic with some interesting twists.

The gap between bikes and maxi scooters is getting smaller and smaller... 

Cheers! 

• 10-16-2007 02:23 PM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

Spoke today with the importer for Peugeot and the Satelis 500 should be available around January/Feb next year.

It looks really nice and the reviews so far in Europe seem positive.

• 12-12-2007 09:34 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

gerbi:
    http://www.apriliamana.com/index.html?lang=eng

have a look at the fuel tank at the rear

the helmet storage where the tank normally is.

very scooterish indeed.  

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-12-2007 03:28 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Very interesting bike.

Might be a sign of how good scooter design is getting and the big guys finally realising it!?!

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 12-20-2007 11:25 PM In reply to

There looks to be a rash of automatic bikes hitting the market in 2008. Arqin have imported the Chinese CFmoto V3 & V5, Honda have one coming & this one. There's bound to be more. I wonder how they ride compared to the big wheeled scooters? I saw what was said about these & it would be interesting to see if the auto bikes handle any better.

How do the maxis handle on the road? I have looked into them but kind of like the feel of the smaller scooters, not that I would consider my Montego to be one of those. Strength is a bit of an issue with me so I'm a little concerned that the maxi would be too heavy. The 10-12 inch wheels matched with such a large seemingly cumbersome body make me cringe too.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-20-2007 11:35 PM In reply to

• flasho
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 116

Scootanut, rest assured not all maxis are cumbersome beasts, I have the X-9 500cc piaggio maxi and its effortless to ride, its true when at a stand still like red lights it does seem a little on the heavy side, but under way is very nimble and turns on a dime, take one for a test ride, I think you will be amazed at the ease of riding.....Pete.  

• 12-21-2007 08:26 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

ScootaNut:
    How do the maxis handle on the road?

Its all a choice really. Some maxi scooters are a bit more cumbersome thn others and it does to some degree come down to weight . But remember weight in a scooter is different from on a motorbike. The weight is a lot lower and as such hauling a 210kg scooter around is far more simple then getting on a 210kg bike and rolling that around. But anything that is this big will be a big change from a 100kg 125 commuter. So the toss up is do i want the ability to do 125 km/h all day in comfort and the ability also to ride in town or do i just want town work and the odd ride.

But maxi scooters vary too with flashes x9 far easier to handle then say a 236kg burgman. But then on the open road the burger wins out.

these auto bikes i think are a big part of the future and you can see the r and d that the big names are putting into it. So watch this space.....

Ive spent some time on the arqin v3 and some may laugh but you get off the thing with a big grin thinking hey this thing is unreal. Made by cf moto the scooter just feels good, twist the throttle , go and have some fun....  

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-21-2007 08:28 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

gerbi:
    I'd love to see the new Gilera GP800 imported as well but I'm not holding my breath.

calling gerbi, this is a big negative. And we wont be seeing the gilera  

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-21-2007 08:57 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

ScootaNut:

How do the maxis handle on the road? I have looked into them but kind of like the feel of the smaller scooters, not that I would consider my Montego to be one of those. Strength is a bit of an issue with me so I'm a little concerned that the maxi would be too heavy. The 10-12 inch wheels matched with such a large seemingly cumbersome body make me cringe too.

Hi ScootaNut,
    I am vertically challenged (159 if I stretch) and not strong by any means. I ride a Honda Foresight 250 wet weight about 180kg I think and I weight 53kg. I had the seat altered so I can get my more of my foot on the ground, this enables me to feel more comfortable with the weight when I'm stopped. I also ride a Mio 100cc, the difference is like chalk and cheese between them. I would encourage you to have a ride on one of the newer maxi's, the ride is so different,  much more relaxed perhaps because of the windscreen I don't notice the speed as much. I find the Mighty Mio a buzz, wind in your face and more in touch with your surroundings. You won't know until you give it a go,

Cheers :) 

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 12-21-2007 08:58 AM In reply to

lol Did you have a play with the mp3 player on the thing? How do the onboard speakers sound? I have to admit that I didn't like the look of the bike initially but now... I could go for either the V3 or V5...
    Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-07-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

Scootanut - if you are worried about height and weight, but like the maxi style, then the scooter for you is the Bolwell LeGrande.  They have a very capable 171cc liquid coolled engine, and so can run all day at freeway plus speeds.  But they also have a very low saddle, so even you should be able to quite happily plant both your feet firmly on the ground when you stop.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 01-07-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Plenty of articles in this months Scooter magazine on Maxi's.

They ride the Gilera GP800,  Aprilia NA850 Mana, Peugeot Satelis, Yamaha XP500 T-Max, and Bug Xciting R.  Some very interesting and sweet rides there. Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
Page 1 of 5 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au