Scooter
Community

Recommendations for new and very tall rider

Last post 04-21-2010 05:20 PM by pyrah. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2010 10:46 AM

• grazer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2010
    • Posts 2

Recommendations for new and very tall rider

I'm new to motorcycle riding and I'm 208cm (6'10"), so I'm looking for suggestions for both the new and the tall rider.

I've seen a few posts about scooters for tall riders, and no disrespect, but it seems most suggestions are for people around 6'4".  6'4" is tall but I can say that extra 6" makes a difference. 

I have had a sit on a Honda Silver Wing and thought it would be adequate for my height without being ideal. I haven't tried a Burgman yet but I imagine that would be good too.  The issue with a maxi like those is I'm not sure as a newbie that I want to spend that much on my first ride.  On the other hand a maxi might suit me more in the long run as I would eventually want to do freeway riding rather than just short local trips.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

• 04-21-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

Re: Recommendations for new and very tall rider

Welcome to the forum grazer. You pose a somewhat unique requirement when it comes to scootering. 

The scooters you mentioned are both top end, superb examples with ABS brakes too. Just plain sitting on them (off the centre stand) will tell you heaps. I am a mere 6'1" and did the same test when I started this caper 2 years ago. And on much smaller capacity scooters. So many were ruled out due to lack of legroom.

I ride a Honda SH300i which has plenty of knee and leg room for me. Try it out when next at your Honda dealer. It is a very capable tourer. And almost as nimble as a 125 around the city. The Scarabeo 300 and 500 should also be tested for size. Both are top notch scooters.

Also the Aprillia Mana auto motorcycle is worth a look. It has been accused of being too tall by those with a different challenge to you. 

I look forward to the conclusion of this thread.

• 04-21-2010 02:37 PM In reply to

Not totally sure if you'll fit, but Yamaha Jogs despite how small they look actually have a fair bit of leg room, I'm about 185cm, my wife 187cm and neither of us are short of leg room on the 1993 model Jog I just bought, and there is a review by Jeremy Boulder on www.scootersales.com.au for the jog and he is 195cm and wasn't pressed for leg room when he test rode one.

Maybe try a Sym Red Devil, or TGB 101S, they are both larger than normal 50cc's, built for larger riders, look more like 100cc's instead of a 50cc, they both have plenty of leg room for a 50cc and are a good price new, or secondhand and easy to find and research.

• 04-21-2010 03:54 PM In reply to

Grentes:

Not totally sure if you'll fit, but Yamaha Jogs despite how small they look actually have a fair bit of leg room, I'm about 185cm, my wife 187cm and neither of us are short of leg room on the 1993 model Jog I just bought, and there is a review by Jeremy Boulder on www.scootersales.com.au for the jog and he is 195cm and wasn't pressed for leg room when he test rode one.

Maybe try a Sym Red Devil, or TGB 101S, they are both larger than normal 50cc's, built for larger riders, look more like 100cc's instead of a 50cc, they both have plenty of leg room for a 50cc and are a good price new, or secondhand and easy to find and research.

If you do test ride one, please, please, please take a photo or two!  But I agree that the Red Devil is a good 50cc for taller riders without being massively expensive.  Though I'm not sure that 50cc will give you the power that you need/want.

The scooter in our range that we've found most appropriate for tall riders has been the Vespa's.  Which does surprise a lot of people, but they are actually quite roomy and they have a decent length of footboard too which I reckon that you are probably going to need as I suspect you wear barges for shoes.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 04-21-2010 04:07 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    as I suspect you wear barges for shoes.

and you know what they say about men with big feet... oh dear I'm not going to get any more work done today

Sorry, I've just fallen off my chair laughing thinking about someone your height on a eeny-teeny-bitty scooter.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 04-21-2010 04:12 PM In reply to

I think a tall bloke looks out of place on a Vespa. Funny even. I saw one outside PS here in Melbourne a while ago. And that was the pretty white 300i. 

Looks like grazer has got the budget for even a Burgman 650 exec. I would go for something thats looks right as well as feels right and is right with you on it.

• 04-21-2010 04:53 PM In reply to

• grazer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2010
    • Posts 2

and you know what they say about men with big feet

They've got big hands?

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I got itchy feet and lunchtime and went down to the bike shops in Elizabeth St Melbourne.

I sat on a Yamaha T-Max - the salesman told me as soon as I walked in the door that nothing else would suit me. It seemed OK, but like the Silver Wing not ideal.  Haven't got to the Burgman yet but that is looking like the last one on the list.

I tried a Gilera 500 (the one with two wheels at the front) and that was definitely not a goer, unless I can find a way to ride only in straight lines.  I tried the Silver Wing 400 too, and that is the same as the Gilera, straight line work only. The salesman told me that the 600 Silver Wing is not going to be imported anymore, so if true there is another possible option gone.

I didn't try a Vespa, although I did have a look.  Does anyone do invisibility cloaks yet? I don't want anyone to see how I would look on a Vespa.

I think I will pay a visit to an Aprilia dealer to look at the Scarabeos, and will also go to an SYM dealer.  Aprilia also has a road trail bike that might suit me.

I might unfortunately not make much of a contribution to the scooter community, because I also had a sit on a Kawasaki Ninja 650RL, which was perfect for sizing.  Mind you, the salesman told me I looked like his son on a peewee minibike.

• 04-21-2010 05:20 PM In reply to

Big Smile Me thinks you need to get a dual sport motorbike they have a tall seat height

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au