Scooter
Community

Life to the T MAX!

Last post 06-30-2016 09:15 PM by fluffy. 455 replies.
Page 2 of 31 (456 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2010 06:49 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Went and bought a T MAX!

bunnybash:

interesting to read Pete!

I noticed on my ride of the Satelis the other day which has some special way of mounting the engine, which supposedly means it handles like a motorbike... anyways it was weird and freaky to not have the dash attached to the handlebars... did you find anything like that when you first got on??

Do you mean that the handle bar and front wheel move independently of the screen, dash, mirrors and headlight?  It was a little wierd the first time I tried to filter and I couldnt weave the mirrors between the cars. Other than that no problems. There are several Maxi's with this type of steering configuration.

The T Max really handles countersteering well. You should try and toss you leg over one. They're very expensive new ($14,000) so for me 2nd hand was the only option.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-17-2010 03:51 PM In reply to

Congrats Pete. A very cost effective way to get fantastic Japanese bike (scooter). Superb it is,  even though its slow to get to 100 kph. Other than that I have read lots of good stuff on the T Max. 

I see many under used (unused may be more correct) scooters up for sale. Many remain that way due to unrealistic pricing. But bargains are out there (I've sold two) and I guess yours was one too. Well done.

• 05-18-2010 07:01 AM In reply to

• Kiwiscoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 175

Congratulations on a fantastic scoot. If you want the service manual (2001) I share it here

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/nJKVAmTg/sharing.html?rnd=77

Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot
    2008 Xingyue XY150T-5100kms of fun. Gone.
    2008 SYM Citycom 300i 47000+kms, was a blast!! Sold now
    2006 Vespa GTS250ie
    In the market need scoot will do 190kph, 3l/100km, 20 000km service intervals,under $10 000, dual purpose to explore back country - where is it?! sigh!
  • 05-18-2010 05:30 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Nikko:

Superb it is,  even though its slow to get to 100 kph.

Thanks for the well wishes crew. Although Im not sure what Nikko is saying. The TMAX certainly isnt slow, in fact its the fastest scooter my sorry ass has ever sat on. Thanks Kiwiscoot but I scored a manual with the bike. A couple of pics from Peter Adderley taken on Sunday. Thanks Peter.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 05-18-2010 05:33 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Pete and Pete taken by Pete. Just wish this wet weather we're having would dry up. I want to take it for another run!

• 05-18-2010 06:11 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

petegailey:
    Just wish this wet weather we're having would dry up. I want to take it for another run!

Grounded are ya?? I really feel for ya Stick out tongue Bit of the wet stuff and you go hiding in the garage Hmm

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-18-2010 07:19 PM In reply to

petegailey:

Nikko:

Superb it is,  even though its slow to get to 100 kph.

Thanks for the well wishes crew. Although Im not sure what Nikko is saying. The TMAX certainly isnt slow, in fact its the fastest scooter my sorry ass has ever sat on. Thanks Kiwiscoot but I scored a manual with the bike. A couple of pics from Peter Adderley taken on Sunday. Thanks Peter.

"...What power the horizontally opposed 499cc v-twin does make is very smooth and quite useable. Sadly the CVT transmission is a little on the restrained side so it’s not till you hit 50kph (31MPH) that you really get full power. This means that regardless of its lightweight the T-Max is actually slower than EVERY SINGLE ONE of its competitors. It hits 100kph in 10.5 seconds which is 2.3 seconds slower than the Honda Silver Wing and a massive 5.1 seconds slower than the GP800. The GP800 can actually accelerate to 100kph (62MPH) then come to a complete stop before the T-Max even reaches 100kph. That is beyond a joke, Yamaha market the T-Max as “The Super Sport Scooter”, are they taking the piss?.." lifted from thescooterreview.com.

With due respect, Peter, maybe Ketzal points out what he records as a failing of the TMax. Thats all. Read it if you have not already.

• 05-18-2010 08:48 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Thanks Nikko, interesting read though it doesnt jade my pleasure with the TMAX. Ketzal compares it with the Gilera GP800 which looks like an awesome scoot but I cant find them for sale in Australia.  And yes, I'd expect an 800cc scoot to blitz a 500. Id also expect a motorcycle to blitz a scooter.  And yes there does seem to be a slight lag in the TMAX straight off the lights but it quickly surges and is away leaving any cars well behind. My GTS250 also does that too, as does the Honda SH300 and most other quality mid sized scooters. Where the TMAX is really awesome is through the twisties which is the riding that I like most. Im not into racing and drag times, Im just after a smile on my face and the TMAX does just that for me. My riding skills arent up to handling 200k/h, and I'm cautious about riding anything much bigger than 650cc's coz it'll probably kill me or my licence. Its all relative to what you need and where and how you ride. Personally the TMAX suits my needs and will keep me busy for some time.

• 05-18-2010 09:41 PM In reply to

that scooter review dude is a douche.... i had a nexus which is faster than a tmax in his testing, yet every time i came across a tmax on the nexus i had to ring its neck to keep up with the dude who probably wasnt even giving it it's alll

then variator clutch pipe and rejet the tmax and its fracking gone man

look up all the vids on youtube, theres heaps of tmax's bloody flying, and the carb model is easy to mod, just look at the one with nos.... that'd eat most supermotos alive

• 05-19-2010 12:33 AM In reply to

then you have God's Own Scarabeo... which the stig did some test rides on today...

0-60mph in 5.7sec...

no lag, very straight angle all the way up... it's fast... it's real fast...  but the TMax has it's own charm and advantages, on a 200km trip, the Beo is no slouch, but i can guarantee that the first scooter chosen to be ridden by every single person would be the TMax...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 05-19-2010 12:37 AM In reply to

petegailey:

Thanks Nikko, interesting read though it doesnt jade my pleasure with the TMAX. Ketzal compares it with the Gilera GP800 which looks like an awesome scoot but I cant find them for sale in Australia. Are they here yet? And yes, I'd expect an 800cc scoot to blitz a 500. Id also expect a motorcycle to blitz a scooter.  And yes there does seem to be a slight lag in the TMAX straight off the lights but it quickly surges and is away leaving any cars well behind. My GTS250 also does that too, as does the Honda SH300 and most other quality mid sized scooters. Where the TMAX is really awesome is through the twisties which is the riding that I like most. Im not into racing and drag times, Im just after a smile on my face and the TMAX does just that for me. My riding skills arent up to handling 200k/h, and I'm cautious about riding anything much bigger than 650cc's coz it'll probably kill me or my licence. Its all relative to what you need and where and how you ride. Personally the TMAX suits my needs and will keep me busy for some time.

While i have never ever ridden with you Pete, I imagine that you were made for the Tmax... the epic long rides through mountains and stuff... sounds like you have found your true scooter man!!! 

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 05-19-2010 05:28 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

great to see you have realised the benefits of a yamaha scooter LOL but your comments are similar to those we got when you got the Vespa 250 hehehe  to filter will be no difference just dont be intimidated by its size its about the same as my majesty. My mates Tmax upsets the local Ulysses boys who just claim it may beat them but its still only a scooter, they just cant handle being outclassed in the twisties and need to have this attitude to justify them spending twice as much as a Tmax and getting half as much in return performance and style so they are all sticking on more pieces of chrome hehehehe .

Oh by the way a set of  Dr.sliders will get you to a hundred k before you realise it. if you can get someone to tranlate check out the italian majesty site and see what they are doing to T maxes.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 05-19-2010 11:51 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

niks:

great to see you have realised the benefits of a yamaha scooter LOL but your comments are similar to those we got when you got the Vespa 250 hehehe  to filter will be no difference just dont be intimidated by its size its about the same as my majesty....

Oh by the way a set of  Dr.sliders will get you to a hundred k before you realise it. if you can get someone to tranlate check out the italian majesty site and see what they are doing to T maxes.

LOL. Youre right about the filtering. Have no trouble weaving the GTS thru traffic dispite inital reservations. Im sure I'll be taking the TMAX thru similar gaps before long. Had a look at youtube and saw many TMAX's doing 0 to 100 in 8 secs. With a J Costa variator 5.5 secs. There seems plenty of ways to hot them up. Will think about some of these options when I've paid the thing off.

• 05-20-2010 03:46 PM In reply to

T-max might be better on the road than DR650 but surely DR650 would be superior the moment the asphalt ends. Did you find you weren't going off-road enough to justify keeping it? Personally I think I'd keep T-Max and DR650 and sell the Vespa since between the other two it's more or less redundant.

• 05-20-2010 08:58 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

The vespa redundant hahahahahahahahaWhisper

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
Page 2 of 31 (456 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au