Scooter
Community

Life to the T MAX!

Last post 06-30-2016 09:15 PM by fluffy. 455 replies.
Page 20 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2015 07:19 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Life to the T MAX!

Nice write up Ian. Geeze that frame looks sweet. Have you got race tech springs in? Tomorrow showers clearing and Eccles is champing at the bit to see if his C650Gt is still the fastest maxi on the block. I've got the Beaver 350 to shoot so we'll be out if you want to join us. Pete

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-23-2015 02:29 PM In reply to

Has there been a test ride yet??   Very interested to hear what different this made.

The guy at my dealer said the biggest improvement he got when modifying his TMax's was the variator. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-23-2015 02:48 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

Has there been a test ride yet??   Very interested to hear what different this made.

The guy at my dealer said the biggest improvement he got when modifying his TMax's was the variator. 

Oh yes - did probably 220km yesterday on a variety of road types. There is a big climb on the freeway just out of Sydney going north - here previously the T-max would accelerate but slowly...yesterday I had much more under the right hand (sorry officer)...excuse my grin again!

Away from the lights it too is a different machine. The engine is not stressed and is far from reaching the redline even when really trying. Generally seems like in a lower gear ratio. However when cruising still seems relaxed as before.

These sliders certainly do work and as I've stated before are the best bang-for-buck modification for any scooter period.

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 03-23-2015 02:58 PM In reply to

I haven't been around on the forum for a while. What did I miss? Last I read Ian had just bought a VStrom? :) Enjoy the TMax.

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 03-23-2015 03:32 PM In reply to

jshowyin:

I haven't been around on the forum for a while. What did I miss? Last I read Ian had just bought a VStrom? :) Enjoy the TMax.

Thanks - yes still got the Vstrom for now - this effing Tmax is so good and such a brillant all-rounder I'm thinking of selling the bike...

• 03-23-2015 04:49 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

White Fang:
    Oh yes - did probably 220km yesterday on a variety of road types.
    Oh Yes Its certainly one sweet maxi!

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-24-2015 02:01 PM In reply to

Windscreen is back on......

Whitefang.... what sort of distance are you getting from a tank of fuel?   I ride mostly in city traffic and filled up the other day.  It's dropped to around half after 130km riding. Based on the computer i'm averaging around 5.5L/100km

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-25-2015 08:42 AM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

Windscreen is back on......

Whitefang.... what sort of distance are you getting from a tank of fuel?   I ride mostly in city traffic and filled up the other day.  It's dropped to around half after 130km riding. Based on the computer i'm averaging around 5.5L/100km

Yes - windscreen back on - was concerned about rain getting into the works up front. Have a sports screen on order.

Consumption - looked just now 4.6 - mixture of fast rural and urban riding and newish engine - happy with that.

See the site has been hacked....bugger!!!

• 03-25-2015 09:24 AM In reply to

Revisit the Belt Drive Grease Issue

Remember this at 507km 

Then I cleaned and replaced the grease and now at 815 km pulled the cover off and found this - 

Happy with this - the grease is not discoloured or breaking down as before and no oil separation.

Used Shell Gadus S3 T100 2 - the T signifying polyurea type grease

Or maybe this is the answer? A sprocket and chain kit for the 530 - found on fleabay out of Taiwan - but at US $460 - well too much!

• 03-25-2015 06:32 PM In reply to

Battery Location/Removal Tmax 530

Ever wondered where the battery is located, how to charge it or add aux power - then here is a photo guide.

Tools required - #2 Phillips screwdriver, 4mm Allen T-key, 10mm spanner or nutdriver.

First remove the black centre trim panel - remove the 2 Allen head screws and lift off the panel

Next open the sliding draw and careful pull out

Then remove the 4 Phillips screws and pull the cover 

Thus

To reveal this - 

Use a 10mm nutdriver or spanner - tip ensure the red cover is in place covering the positive terminal when using a spanner - remove the negative wire first. Unclip the rubber strap to remove the battery if required. Remember to set the clock after re-fitting the battery.

Of course my aim was to get to this screw (just above the red terminal cap) - access is gained with the battery out - the upper fork tube clamp on the LH side - but that's another story...

• 03-26-2015 04:05 AM In reply to

T-Max has double fork clamps like on a motorbike unlike on my scooter I see, which I think is nice.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 03-26-2015 08:33 AM In reply to

scoot-agogo:

T-Max has double fork clamps like on a motorbike unlike on my scooter I see, which I think is nice.

Yes makes for a nice solid feeling front end.

Other scooters (maxi's anyway) with double fork clamps include Tmax, Burgman 650, Beemers C600/650 & Kymco Xciting 500...may be others too? 

But double fork clamps have negatives for smaller scoots - adds weight, limits steering lock and needs space which takes away from compactness or storage...

• 04-02-2015 01:51 PM In reply to

Hot Grips for the Tmax 530

Another farkle just in time for winter rides - 

Mounted the controller on the left brake master cylinder - couldn't do this with the original handlebar covers...

The Oxford version 8 controller really works and will not flatten the battery. In the past you really needed a relay to isolate the controller from the battery.

Also the "Sport" hotgrips are longer than the OEM grip fitments - I allowed for this when swapping the handlebars. But there are shorter "scooter" grips available that should fit the standard bars...

Routed the cables towards the battery (located under LHS draw) which made for neat and close connection to the battery.

• 04-02-2015 02:59 PM In reply to

Fork Removal for the Tmax 530

OK another farkle hidden away inside the forks...

To get the forks off the Tmax requires much preparation and time...

Disclaimer - this work needs good mechanical knowledge and the right tools and involves working on the brake, wheel and suspension systems of the scooter - all of which can be life threatening if carried out incorrectly. Don't blame me if you hurt yourself!

Tools required - 

#2 Philips, sockets 10mm 12mm & 22mm, 10mm & 22mm spaner, 4mm Allen key, torque wrench, 5mm & 8mm Allen socket bit, 19mm inhex or 4in1 axle tool & support apparatus.

My aim was to replace the standard fork springs with new springs with a higher rate to match my weight, reduce the preload and lessen diving under braking. Previously I had pulled the forks to examine the OEM springs. While acceptable (and much better than most similar forks I've worked with) the spring was a little light for my weight of 86kg, excessive preload of 30mm and some brake dive. My results later.

The work - firstly one needs to detemine how to support the front of the Tmax so the wheel and forks can be removed. I use a brake type hand winch mounted to an overhead beam. Other methods include block and tackle or chain winch. My method uses a nylon sling about the handlebars (will have to remove the handlebar covers) be careful not to damage hoses or wiring. As a safety measure I also placed a mechanical screw jack under the scooter - I used the radiator support.

Before lifting the scooter remove the front mudguard. Can be done on the Tmax with the wheel in place. Then release the tension on the brake calipers mounting screws, ABS sensor, axle pinch bolt, axle, upper and lower triple tree screws and brake hose clamps. Now lift the scooter so the front wheel is just touching the ground. Remove the brake hose clamps then brake calipers and hang them from the mirrors using light rope. Remove the ABS sensor if fitted, then remove the axle being careful of the LH spacer plate.

To reveal this - ensure the front brake lever is secured and not bumped while lifted

With a 22mm socket or spanner release the tension on the fork cap. Then undo the LH upper clamp screw - note the battery has to be removed!

Same on the RH side - 

Remove the horn and mount with a 12mm socket - 

Then undo the lower clamp screws - RH side and lower the fork out of the scooter

Repeat on the LH side - 

Move each fork to the bench for further work - to be continued.

• 04-02-2015 03:34 PM In reply to

Big Smile  Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 20 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au