Scooter
Community

Life to the T MAX!

Last post 06-30-2016 09:15 PM by fluffy. 455 replies.
Page 3 of 31 (456 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2010 10:50 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Went and bought a T MAX!

The Vespa for the city always!, the TMAX for the open road. The Suzuki hasn't gone yet and it still puts a grin on my face.  Everyone makes fun of the DR but Its a great bike to ride. I love all three.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-21-2010 11:45 AM In reply to

petegailey:
    Everyone makes fun of the DR but Its a great bike to ride. I love all three.

Oh! You mean That Thing? Big Smile

Allen & Cameron, I want an animated laughing icon! Smile

Keep the Vespa, get rid of Niks. Oops! Did I say that? Must have been a Freudian slip. I meant the That Thing.  Stick out tongue

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-21-2010 08:10 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Scooternut:

petegailey:
    Everyone makes fun of the DR but Its a great bike to ride. I love all three.

Oh! You mean That Thing? Big Smile

Allen & Cameron, I want an animated laughing icon! Smile

Keep the Vespa, get rid of Niks. Oops! Did I say that? Must have been a Freudian slip. I meant the That Thing.  Stick out tongue

cheeeeeeees the things we have to put up with since we let women out of the kitchen and onto the roads no wonder we have a safety issue LOL

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 05-22-2010 12:07 AM In reply to

Sleep 

• 05-22-2010 08:13 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

pyrah:

Sleep 

Sorry mate, cant give medical advice LOL

• 05-24-2010 09:27 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Took the TMAX for a good run on Sunday. 380ks along the Old Putty Rd up to the Hunter Valley and back home again. The Old Putty Rd is one of the great motorcycle roads in NSW, 160ks starting with tight twisties, then long fast straights and sweepers and then finishing up with 20ks of tight twisties again. Was travelling with 4 road bikes on a dry track. They let me lead as they thought the scooter would be easy to catch. After warming up the tyres and getting my eye in I opened the TMAX up. I left three of the bikes in my wake pretty quickly. The TMAX was really fast through the tight corners and up and down the mountain ridges. When I got up onto the straight stretches there was only one Yamaha 650 in my rearview mirrors. I was easily able to cruise at 130/140kph with the tacho around 5500rpm and I was able to open up to 160k/h a couple of times. It was fun watching the road bike fall back and then catch up again. He was sticking to my tail but didn't get near to overtaking me. We soon settled down to a 130k/h high speed run across the tops of the ridges. The TMAX was beautiful through the long sweeping corners and had heaps in reserve up the hills. After about 90ks of this, the road started snaking down the mountain and suddenly the bike behind me was gone. He couldnt match the TMAX when the corners got tight. The 14" front wheel and the excellent handling ment that I was way faster on this sort of road. 

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 05-24-2010 09:42 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

I was practicing counter steering keeping my head level and pushing the handlebar forward. On one corner I heard the centre stand scrape. A few corners later I was doing it again. This was the first time I'd scraped a stand on a bike or a scooter. About 10ks into the twisties I pulled over to let the others catch up. One by one they pull over, everyone with huge grins across their faces. There were a few comments re the amazing performance of the TMAX.

• 05-24-2010 09:45 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Ian asked me if the TMAX was a keeper and I nodded yes. The TMAX  had certainly showed me that it could handle itself in company and these riders are no slouches.

• 05-24-2010 10:02 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

We continued down into the Hunter and then headed east through Wolombi then south back to Sydney on the Old Pacific Hwy, another super road 50ks of 45k/h corners and good tarmac. The TMAX has been blooded and proved it self to be an excellent tourer totally able to mix it up with the road bikes. It has heaps of acceleration for easy overtaking and that superb handling for a grin a mile wide. My ass was always comfortable and the air hawk wasnt needed. I found three riding positions, feet forward cruiser style (not my favourite), feet flat on the floor below (best for hard cornering) and feet back on the pillions foot pegs (good for a change in posture). I found the TMAX really responded to counter steering. The reports re wind buffering from the high screen were true but managable and I found the wind noise lessened with my visor one notch open. I got 20k/l from spirited riding which is on par with most 500cc engines. The 13 litre tank gives a safe cruising range of about 250ks. Im very happy with my choice so far and think the TMAX definately lives up to its hype.

• 05-25-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

i think you are having too much fun. keep goingYesWink

argentum melle
  • 05-25-2010 05:04 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Although the TMAX has two headlights only one is connected to low beam. There is a simple mod to connect both lights that I picked up  from an American TMAX thread. Feel up to it Tony? I rode my TMAX on a wet night on a road with poor lighting and found the 1 light low beam only just adequate. Would be really good to have both beams.

This is lifted from
    MajestyUSA: Yamaha Majesty Enthusiasts Forum Index -> TMax

Yamaha must have thought that we would want to have both headlights on, so the plug on the back of the headlights have an empty socket for a female spade-type connector. You'll want to go to Radio Shack and pick up:

1. One right-angle (90 degree) spade connectors for 12 gauge wire.
    2. One wire tap
    3. About 4 feet of 12 gauge wire
    4. Inline fuse (just in case)
    5. Electrical tape
    6. Some plastic wire loom (if so desired, but not strictly necessary)
    7. Soldering gun or good crimp tool.

From under the headlights, you should be able to get your hand up behind the headlights. Start with the left headlight (the one closest to the rear brake lever.) You'll see that only 2 of the 3 blade type connectors are used. Using a flat-blade screwdriver, pop off the "lid" of the connector. You'll be able to insert the 90 degree female spade connector there. (making sure, of course, that you've cut and crimped the 12 gauge wire to an appropriate length and attached it to the spade connector.) Once you're satisfied, just reconnect the headlight socket to the headlight bulb.

Next, run the wire through the wire loom and zip time to the wire bundle. This will help give it a "factory look." Run the wires until you get to the right-hand side of the bike. Insert an inline fuse if you'd like (I did - 10 amp fuse is plenty.) This will help ensure that if there's too much draw, the fuse will pop before anything bad happens (like burnt wiring.)

Once you're ready to connect the right hand headlight, reach up and pull off the headlight socket. Once you pull down the connector, you'll see the low-beam wire. Tap into that wire with the wire tap. Be sure to seal up the tap well with electical tape. Once you're satisfied, just reconnect the headlight socket to the headlight bulb.

Before tucking the wires away, check that both headlights are on in low and high beam mode. If all looks OK, then tuck up and zip tie the wires. That's it

Left side three prong bulb that only has 2 wires hooked up to it Confused

and the connector with the 2 wires.

Opened up the connector to see what you need to make the connection with that elusive third prong:

Pulled out that wire to guage the new part :

I used a standard connector that I tweaked with some needlenose pliers and it worked.
    NO pic, sorry.
    Then tapped into the other side:

Now it works!

• 05-25-2010 05:41 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

petegailey:

I was practicing counter steering keeping my head level and pushing the handlebar down. On one corner I heard the centre stand scrape. A few corners later I do it again. This was the first time I'd scraped a stand. About 10ks into the twisties I pulled over to let the others catch up. One by one they pull over, everyone with huge grins across their faces. There were a few comments re the amazing performance of the TMAX.

Yah big hoon scraping the sidestand hehehehehe good run i like it, nice road wish I still lived in Newcastle i would be on it every chance I got. Maybe you should remove the side stand for safety reasons mate. My mate has done this to his tmax. maybe you should think about fitting a HID to your right light then night riding will be very safe also daylight as well.

Just noticed you took of top box for the ride so that accounts for the extra 20kph heheheheDevil

• 06-01-2010 09:48 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Life with the T MAX

Another pic of the TMAX  at Road Warriors on Sunday.

• 06-06-2010 06:20 AM In reply to

Re: Life with the T MAX

This is all great to read as I started to think I was the only one who was totally wrapped in his TMax.. Cool

I sold my Honda 750 V4 Magna as I found the TMax was soooooo much fun I wasn't riding the Honda anymore. also the TMax holds so much I could use it for work as well.. yeah yeah I have a topbox but its easy to remove when not needed

I now ride the TMax every day all day in all weather plus its all taxable Geeked .. and I get paid to ride it.. talk about a win win Stick out tongue

Even with the cutest pillion on the back, who by the way loves being on the TMax, its doen'ts lag to much on the road.

After two years and 28,000k's later, it has not let me down once.. glad to hear your enjoying it.. Wink

I ride a TMax 530 2013 and work in IT
    Member of Ulysses Club Bunbury
  • 06-06-2010 07:14 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Life with the T MAX

Hey DrChip, Ive just found some of your threads. Ive got a mate who got a TMAX some months ago and he made the mistake of letting me ride it for a few ks. It was lust at first sight and I had to have one.  I got mine last month. We're still getting to know our TMaxs.

Tony on the blue max

Page 3 of 31 (456 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au