Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Winter Gear

Last post 06-01-2011 10:24 PM by cheapyscoot. 59 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2010 08:59 AM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Winter Gear

Baby its cold outside! When the temperature drops lots of scooter riders hop into their cars with mods like windshields and roofs and heaters but there are some tragics out there who still hit the road in morning temps below 10C. So what are you tragics wearing to survive the cold?

I've got the thermals on, T Shirt and long johns ski wear from Kathmandu. 4 layers on the top plus a woolen neck sock full face helmet and leather jacket. Long johns, knee socks, leather pants, & boots below. Bought a new pair of Dririder Nordic gloves and a pair of woollen glove liners for the hands. Takes an extra 10mins to kit up and I feel like the Michelin Man and Im still not warm.

The Nordic gloves are heaps better than my old gloves but my fingers are still chilled. Tony W was even seen to have the underseat casing out and his hands on the engine of the Vespa at Road Warriors early on Saturday morning. Everyone is raving about heated grips but I cant figure out how they keep the tops of the fingers warm. Also not really sure about the leathers vs textile. Someone said that the leathers get cold. I prefer leather for safety coz Ive seen how quickly the nylon melts but my leather pants are the coldest part of my kit.

Anyway enough about me. What are you wearing?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-14-2010 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Winter Gear

I can recommend down vests. I have a sleeveless one from Mountain Designs, but you can also get them with sleeves. It's like wearing a doona and packs up small if you want to take it off.

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 06-14-2010 01:07 PM In reply to

A jumper under the jacket and a scarf seems to do just fine with the draggin jeans.

Honda Elite 1990-1996
    Bug Bandit 2004-2009
    Piaggio X7 250ie 2010-
  • 06-14-2010 01:27 PM In reply to

for cold but clear mornings I head out with Corazzo 5.0 with a thin jumper underneath, scarf, full face helmet, Draggins & thermal underwear (although am starting to think it's time to drag out the warmer DriRider pants), DriRider gloves (I think Assen?) & glove liners.

Wearing all of the above I'm toasty on the cold mornings, except fingers which are cold & causing me agony by the end of the 30 min trip. Last year, when I would take the long way around riding for a good hour in the cold to avoid the freeway, I would shove my hands infront of the headlight at every red traffic light. This year I'm braving the freeway for a 30 min commute & no longer have the luxury of being able to do this.

I've decided to drop the Hotgrips idea as they're too ugly for the Vespa & go with the heating element that sits under the existing grips instead. They should arrive this week. I hope.

Pete the Hotgrips are WONDERFUL & managed to keep my whole hands warm during the hour long commute I did during winter last year, maybe because of the insulation that the gloves provide possibly meaning the warmth is spread throughout, instead of leaving the finger tips frozen. I also never had any dramas with the grips draining the battery, maybe because I was using the scooter every day & the friend who installed the grips wired them to the ignition so there was no chance of accidentally leaving them on.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-14-2010 02:28 PM In reply to

No heated grips for me - regular winter gloves plus Rain-off overgloves works well enough for my needs. In dry conditions, overgloves reduce wind chill factor to manageable level. And of course, they keep my hands dry when it rains - something that no heated grip could manage.

I do however use an electric vest and I swear by it. It's Jett brand, Australian made and powered by its own battery so there's no wiring to get in the way and make things complicated. I also quite often use it at home; in fact I'm charging the battery right now so I can put it on in a couple of hours...

• 06-14-2010 02:37 PM In reply to

ferrix:
    No heated grips for me - regular winter gloves plus Rain-off overgloves works well enough for my needs. In dry conditions, overgloves reduce wind chill factor to manageable level. And of course, they keep my hands dry when it rains - something that no heated grip could manage.

I have a set of those & will have to give them a try one of these cold mornings... although have used heavy duty rubber gloves in the past with little success

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-14-2010 03:11 PM In reply to

Scooternut:

I have a set of those & will have to give them a try one of these cold mornings... although have used heavy duty rubber gloves in the past with little success

I started out with gardening type of rubber gloves and I agree they weren't great. I think this is because: a) they have individual fingers and b) they tend to be tight once pulled over your riding gloves. Rain-offs present a nice, solid area to the wind outside, while allowing for insulating air inside... whatever the reason is, I just find them a lot more effective.

• 06-14-2010 04:05 PM In reply to

Have got some  black cotton thermals at Target $17 each for long sleeve top & long johns . I like cotton because it breaths better than synthetics but they will be useless if you get them wet

• 06-14-2010 04:38 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

petegailey:
    What are you wearing?
    On top, long-sleeved cotton skivvie, wool sweater, scarf and then armoured thermal (DriRider) parka over the top.
    On the bottom, thermal long-johns, thickish cotton socks, Draggin jeans (the Kevlar seems to be a thermal insulator...certainly warmer than ordinary jeans).
    Motorcycle boots.
    DriRider thermal gloves.

Comfortable enough on Canberra's cold mornings. The coldest part of the body? Fingers.

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 06-14-2010 04:42 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Jushavinfun:
    A jumper under the jacket and a scarf seems to do just fine with the draggin jeans.
    I should hope so, in Brisbane! Big Smile

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 06-14-2010 08:11 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

SharonVespaGirl:

I can recommend down vests. I have a sleeveless one from Mountain Designs, but you can also get them with sleeves. It's like wearing a doona and packs up small if you want to take it off.

I like the idea of these.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-14-2010 11:28 PM In reply to

As long as you can keep it dry it will work good

• 06-15-2010 01:51 AM In reply to

Merino wool thermals top and bottom

Thermal Jeans

T shirt - Hooded jumper - Wind proof scooter jacket

Scarf thingy/neck warmer 

Held polar gloves (review in the review section)  That have proven to be water and wind proof.

also on the way is grip heaters...  have not bought any yet as i am trying to investigate how hard to install on the Beo and BV

Oh yeah most important... a screen or some sort...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 06-15-2010 08:13 AM In reply to

Merino thermals top and bottom, Motodry jacket and pants with liners in. neck tube and winter gloves. On the scoot I don't need the HotGrips  but when on the bike I do. I also wear thick socks and make sure the neck tube goes over my collar. It is probably a bit colder here than in Brisbane so probably would be overkill for someone there.Wink

Previously many road/trail bikes
    Honda Spacy , Scarabeo 200
    Hyundai Rally 100, Scarabeo 500
    MP3 250, Hyosung gv650
    Fuoco, Bonniville
    Piaggio Fly 125
    Scarabeo 500ie (2010)
    Piaggio Fly 150ie (2012)+
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    http://www.coffeescoffer.com
    http://tastag.coffeescoffer.com (forum)
  • 06-15-2010 08:53 AM In reply to

BunnyBasher if you want to have a look at a set of the grips let me know as I have a set here. you're welcome to buy them off me too Wink

I can also put you in touch with the guy who installed them on my LeGramde, he lives in Vic Park so not too far away

Wanda
Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au