Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

The MC thread

Last post 06-05-2017 08:13 PM by Eccles. 857 replies.
Page 1 of 58 (858 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2010 08:10 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

The MC thread

A lot of scooter riders eventually venture over to the darkside and upgrade to a motorcycle, so what are the motorcycle choices for people who have cut their teeth on scooters? After starting off on a Daelim NS125 and upgrading to a vespa GTS 250 last year I traded the Daelim in on a near new Suzuki DR650, a single 650cc enduro.

PROS: At $7000 it was massive bang for buck, loved the extra power and acceleration that the 650 single provided, super reliable and pretty well bullet proof, great fun to ride, handled pretty well through the twisties too.

CONS: No storage, 880cm seat height meant that I was on tip toes, so high that I dropped it a couple of times in the bush, bit windy above 140k/h. 20k/l fuel consumption, and all my riding buddies made fun of it.

UPON REFLECTION: Would have been better off with a supermoto format with smaller wheels and road tyres. Still love the 650 single thumper as a concept.

Eventually went back to scooters with a Yamaha TMax500.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-22-2010 11:59 PM In reply to

Re: The MC thread

petegailey:

A lot of scooter riders eventually venture over to the darkside and upgrade to a motorcycle, so what are the motorcycle choices for people who have cut their teeth on scooters? After starting off on a Daelim NS125 and upgrading to a vespa GTS 250 last year I traded the Daelim in on a Suzuki DR650, a single 650cc enduro.

PROS: At $7000 it was massive bang for buck, loved the extra power and acceleration that the 650 single provided, super reliable and pretty well bullet proof, great fun to ride, handled pretty well through the twisties too.

CONS: No storage, 880cm seat height meant that I was on tip toes, so high that I dropped it a couple of times in the bush, bit windy above 140k/h. 20k/l fuel consumption, and all my riding buddies made fun of it.

UPON REFLECTION: Would have been better off with a supermoto format with smaller wheels and road tyres. Still love the 650 single thumper as a concept.

Eventually went back to scooters with a Yamaha TMax500.

Interesting reading. I have looked at a few larger capacity motorcyles. eg Kawasaki Ninja650, Kawasaki Versys, Yamaha XJ6, Suzuki Gladius & Suzuki GSX650f. Any of them might be fun -- or I might really regret swapping to one. I have also sometimes thought about downgrading to a motorcycle. The Honda VTR250 looks quite good because it has a low seat, is very light & nimble, almost as quick as my scooter, and sounds nice.

But this VTR250 is about $9,000 new, has no storage, no fuel gauge, no factory fitted alarm & no weather protection, and as result of the CTP price hike it will not be much cheaper to insure.

Right now, I'm still happy riding what I have, but tomorrow is a new day....Wink

Mack Truck
  • 06-23-2010 12:10 AM In reply to

the VTR is a good bike from what I remember of the lessons. It's certainly easy to ride, even for one with duck's disease.

I can't go past the Bonnie myself. I saw one on the road while I was at lights the other week & just sat there drooling while the rider looked my way smiling as he rode past. B4stard. Smile

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-23-2010 12:31 AM In reply to

I suppose you first have to decide the style of bike & the purpose you want it for . The days of the universal motorbike have gone with the exception of a few models 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-23-2010 01:15 AM In reply to

Scooternut:

the VTR is a good bike from what I remember of the lessons. It's certainly easy to ride, even for one with duck's disease.

I can't go past the Bonnie myself. I saw one on the road while I was at lights the other week & just sat there drooling while the rider looked my way smiling as he rode past. B4stard. Smile

That's good to hear about the VTR. Definitely seems an excellent learner bike.

I agree, the Bonneville is a nice looking motorcycle in the retro style. I test rode one in 2008. It had a lowish seat but it was a pretty heavy machine, I remember. It's essentially a modern cruiser, with the weight & handling that that implies!

Mack Truck
  • 06-23-2010 06:17 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

pyrah:

I suppose you first have to decide the style of bike & the purpose you want it for . The days of the universal motorbike have gone with the exception of a few models 

There is one motorcycle that really stands out as a universal motorcycle in my opinion. The Suzuki VStrom 650 twin.  Ian (White Fang) rides one. Probably one of the most sensible motorcycles around and very reasonably priced. (under $10,500 on road with ABS brakes) Very comfortable to sit on with surprising low seat. I havn't ridden one but I trust Ian as a discerning rider.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 06-23-2010 06:21 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Scooternut:

• 06-23-2010 07:55 AM In reply to

have a luggae rack The bonny is actually light for its size. At 205kg wet it is lighter than a lot of 500cc scooters. I really enjoy riding mine. I will not put up a pic as the previous post has a pic alreadyBig Smile

I have a lugage rack,Staintune pipes and knee pads on the tank, otherwise identical.

Choosing what bike to get is a lot like choosing a scoot. First does it fit as too tall will be a large pain. Second will it do what you want? I prefer singles or at most a twin so the 4 potters and the sports models were out for me. I have had dual purpose bikes before but these days they are too tall. A simple machine is what I prefer so in the end the only choice was the bonny.

Previously many road/trail bikes
    Honda Spacy , Scarabeo 200
    Hyundai Rally 100, Scarabeo 500
    MP3 250, Hyosung gv650
    Fuoco, Bonniville
    Piaggio Fly 125
    Scarabeo 500ie (2010)
    Piaggio Fly 150ie (2012)+
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    http://www.coffeescoffer.com
    http://tastag.coffeescoffer.com (forum)
  • 06-23-2010 09:04 AM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

I bought a new GS500F a few months back (actually my wife bought it for me). 500cc Twin for $7400 on road, yup, and that is brand new. The naked version was a couple hundred cheaper.

The wife bought it cause I was whinging that I want another road bike, and how I want a hayabusa. It was a stop gap measure to shut me up until I can get onto the busa! Its a fantastic little bike, not super powerful but certainly not short of grunt. And I cant get over how light the thing is.

• 06-23-2010 10:00 AM In reply to

Hmmm.  I'll bite. I've had a few middle weight bikes that did both cty and touring work (my vice is BMW but there are plenty of good optons about).

The pick of the current Japanese middlewight bunch seem to be: Honda CB400 (4 cyl); Kawasaki ER 6N; Suzuki Balius (650 Vtwin), Suzuki DL 650 VStrom (if you're tall - seat hieght is 820mm) ... these seem to be around the $10K mark and a few have ABS available.  Some have good luggage options. More power and generally better brakes than a scooter ...

I'd have to say, these aren't scooters and you have to realise you're changing your riding from scootering to biking.  Sounds trite, but what you get on a scooter - light and zippy, twist and go, upright posture - isn't easily found on a bike.  I ran my BMW F650CS (fuel-injected 652cc single, 37Kw / 60Nm; 193Kg wet) as a citybike / scooter alternative for years (also as a light tourer, doing 3500km in a week a few times) and I thought I was effectively scootering, if slightly faster and with better suspension, luggage and brakes (ABS). I was wrong!  Even the wee FLY 125 is quicker than the 650 around town because it's so light and so easy.  City riding is rarely about power - though it is sometimes about brakes and horn!  Scootering is just so easy, I wish I'd come to it a decade ago (back then I couldn't adjust quickly from large road bike to small scoot - all the test rides I did just made me nervous on both).

Seems to me the bike you'd choose is one to complement your scoot (unless you consciously want a different experience, like a crotch rocket) - so an upright posture, neutral steering ("quick" bike steering isn't at all like quick scoot steering, IMHO), supple suspension, flexible torque spread - these 'd all be more important that outright power.  So I'd be looking at naked bike capable of the bit a scoot ain't so good at - eating up country miles. I'd include the Triumph Bonneville in that group, even though it's pricey for the performance you get (two other interesting bikes in that retro style are Guzzi V7 (750cc, shaft drive) and Ducati GT1000).  Other surprises if you're going for complementarity would include the "huge" naked bikes from Suzuki & Yamaha - incredible value and the power is still controllable.   The big BMWs are there, but they're a lot more expensive.  BWM do now make factory lowered bikes in their roadster range - F650GS, F800R, R1200R - so they're a  little less intimidating for te vertically challenged (i.e. me!).  My R1200R  + wee scoot is a great combination .. even if I find the big one's steering a bit slow at first, after the scoot. 

If I were buying on a budget, could cope with the seat height  and could stand a chain, the Suzuki DL650A VStrom with ABS and luggage at $11K ride away would be very hard to go past.  A true all rounder - a much nicer bike than its 1000cc sibling - and will run with anything, all day, on any road, unless you're doing silly speeds.  (If you have a Vespa, then I guess it's retro Bonnie @$16K, V7 @$15K ... or nothing).

My 2 cents from 30 years road riding, after learning on an Auto Union 70cc rope-start step-thru ... YMMV.

[ps .. to me, the GS500 and similar are a waste of money - cheap enough, but lack power, have decades-old handling (no rigidity in their chassis), poor brakes, soggy suspension.  They are quite a few bike generations behind current standards.  For the money, I'd get a large scooter and have more fun.  A GS500 does make sense if you think of it as buying an old bike with all-new parts ... I guess.]

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 06-23-2010 10:51 AM In reply to

oh the Guzzi is beautiful! It's also lighter, although the seat height could be an issue... I wonder how much padding is there & whether it would allow for the seat to be lowered with the removal of a little padding?

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-23-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Scooternut:
    oh the Guzzi is beautiful!

You got in before me , my thoughts if you had the cash the V7 Classic or Cafe sport are both great step up bikes.

I dont think you could compare in value to bikes like Gladius etc but for me they fit the bill .....

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-23-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Caroanbill:
    Hmmm.  I'll bite.

great reply , you show great knowledge

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-23-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

Scooternut:
    oh the Guzzi is beautiful!

Oh, ain't it!  The irony is it looks more faithful than the Ducati GT1000 .. which is probably more of an exact replica.  Plus shaft drive (i hate chains).  Its Breva-derrived motor is willing and flexible, if perhaps underpowered compared to the new Guzzi four-valve heads.

Scooternut:
    It's also lighter, although the seat height could be an issue... I wonder how much padding is there & whether it would allow for the seat to be lowered with the removal of a little padding?

Seat height is 805mm, but the bike is narrow - so maybe not a killer.  Slightly shorter rear shocks and raising the forks a bit would probably give you 15mm at the cost of a little suppleness in the rear (don't go there).  Beware of shaving the seat for two reasons - comfort under you bum, and cramp in your knees. I've got a low seat on my R1200R and have lowered the footpegs to un-cramp my old knees!

Also watch the tyre size of these "retro" bikes - 100/90 18 F and 130/80 17 R means you're quite limited in rubber - Metzeler Lasertec fit these and are OK if somewhat old tech compared to say a Metzeler Z6 Interact for more "modern" tyre sizes like 120/70 17 F and something like 160/60 17 or even 180/55 17 R (yep, that's big, but it's a common size for good sport-touring tyres).

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 06-23-2010 02:29 PM In reply to

Oops! I made the mistake of showing the pic of the lovely white Guzzi to a m/c rider here at work. He instantly started with the hard sell pushing me towards buying his wife's red version of this beast, even offering to put me in contact with an instructor mate of his who he thinks could help me deal with my u-turn phobia...

I wonder how long I'd live riding that thing around? Tongue Tied

Wanda
Page 1 of 58 (858 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au