Scooter
Community

The new Honda PCX 125 Scooter raises the bar!

Last post 10-02-2012 02:37 AM by pyrah. 267 replies.
Page 1 of 18 (268 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-15-2010 09:23 PM

The new Honda PCX 125 Scooter raises the bar!

Well,

I just read the press release for the new Honda PCX 125 and I'm impressed.

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-3479-honda-pcx-125.aspx

This is the first time I've seen a scooter with an idle stop feature. The scooter seems well priced and has a few other interesting features and excellent economy. And it looks modern and very sharp to me.

Good one Honda!

Why Be Normal?
  • 07-15-2010 09:40 PM In reply to

Re: The new Honda PCX 125 Scooter raises the bar!

Didn't know we where getting it in Aus they sell them in the UK for 2270 pounds otr . Sounds like it will be a good commuter

• 07-16-2010 12:06 AM In reply to

Idle stop is one of those features I'd happily pay for NOT having on my vehicle. Fortunately, this time it appears it can be turned off.

• 07-16-2010 08:36 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Good value , nice features , could be a winner for honda.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-16-2010 02:21 PM In reply to

I've been riding 50cc scooters for 25 years.

In the 80's I had a few Honda Elites and then I had a fleet of Honda Dio's in the early 90's. They were great, bulletproof bikes. I have been a fan of Honda ever since.

But every now and then new technology comes along that makes me excited.

In 2002 it was the Aprilia Ditech. I rode one and was instantly amazed and hooked. I had to have one! Here was a 50cc with performance, ride and handling that simply blew everything else away! I soon bought one!

Then a couple of years ago, I was again impressed when the MP3 was released. And after it received an award last year and all the reviews were positive, I was dreaming of getting one...but the price stopped me!

And now comes along the PCX 125 and again there's a bike on the scene that makes me want to go out and buy it straight away! And at the price they're asking, I could easily afford to!

So I hope Honda does well with this bike, because it sure looks the goods and it has the sort of technology that interests me!

In the meantime, I'll keep riding my recently purchased '07 Aprilia SR50 Factory. I'm very happy to be riding a bike that still showcases the brilliant Direct Injection technology, and also looks and goes great! It's the sort of bike that makes it easy for me to explain why I still ride a 50cc!

Why Be Normal?
  • 07-16-2010 04:09 PM In reply to

Styling of this scooter (the front, and the instrument panel to some extent) mimics their flagship bike, VFR1200... which is either cool or pathetic, depending on your point of view. It seems OK but I think it just needs something more than gimmicky idle stop to be really exciting... and personally I'd happily swap idle stop for ABS.

Edit: Also... a point of order - $4,000+ORC is hardly a bargain for a 125cc scooter!

• 07-16-2010 06:29 PM In reply to

ferrix:
    $4,000+ORC is hardly a bargain for a 125cc scooter!

Really? You priced an Aprilia Sr50 lately? And it's only 50cc...and the current model in Oz is now only a carb...!!!

Anyhoo, if you want features, how's this...

• Idle stop. When the Idle Stop function is enabled, the engine will automatically stop running after 3 seconds of idling. It then re-starts when the throttle grip is twisted. Idle Stop mode is enabled or disabled via a convenient switch on the right handlebar. The PCX delivers an impressive 28.6 miles per litre (130mpg)* with Idle Stop , which means plenty of riding enjoyment between trips to the service station to fill up its 6.2-litre tank. * Honda figures, obtained in test conditions (WMTC mode)
    • A brushless ACG starter also contributes to fuel economy. This system has a dual purpose, functioning as a starter motor at ignition and afterwards generating electricity for such functions as the spark plug and lights. The brushless system was pioneered on our 50cc Zoomer, and is applied here for the first time on a 125cc scooter. Its compact size allows the engine’s size and weight to be reduced, while its low-friction operation results in high fuel efficiency and prolonged durability. The system also creates an amazingly hushed engine start-up.
    • Lightweight, compact SOHC configuration integrates a liquid cooling system with the radiator built into the engine for compact size and light weight.
    • Honda PGM-FI fuel injection system ensures seamless, effortless power delivery.
    • Smooth V-belt transmission.
    • Short turning radius allows easy manoeuvres in tight spaces.
    • Smooth-acting Combined Brake System provides smooth, progressive braking that adds to stability and boosts confidence.
    • A dark-tinted windscreen gives the scooter a modern image as well as providing wind protection for the rider.
    • Low seat height and long, spacious footrests create a secure and relaxed ride feel.
    • Comfortable seat incorporates back support for the rider and a generous pillion area.
    • Lockable storage compartment holds a full-face helmet with room to spare.
    • Convenient glove box is provided at the front.

It may not have ABS, but it does have combined braking...and at it's price point, I wouldn't expect ABS anyway!

Why Be Normal?
  • 07-16-2010 06:43 PM In reply to

Haribolman:

ferrix:
    $4,000+ORC is hardly a bargain for a 125cc scooter!

Really? You priced an Aprilia Sr50 lately? And it's only 50cc...and the current model in Oz is now only a carb...!!!

Really. Nope, I have not priced Sr50 lately as it is of zero interest to me but I have looked at prices of 125cc and 3,990 is definitely at the high end of the price range. Basically, only Vespas and Aprilia Mojitos cost more. And that feature list? As I was saying before, in my view idle stop is a gimmick at best and nuisance most of the time - hardly a selling point then. And try as I might, i just cannot get excited about a brushless starter motor, excellent though it is. The rest is just a marketing blurb, perhaps with the exception of combined brakes.... sadly, no - I don't expect ABS either - but including it (at this price point, and why not when it costs them less than 100 bucks to actually put in) would make this scooter stand out from the crowd.

• 07-16-2010 09:09 PM In reply to

Honda don't generally need to bring themselves 'down' to compete with the bulk of the Asain market- they're more of a Vespa or Aprilia in that respect, without the romantic European pedigree, of course. And given the @125 used to cost the earth (and still sold!), this new scoot will certainly be a hit and will snatch a few sales from the cheaper Kymcos and SYM's in the process...

• 07-16-2010 10:06 PM In reply to

TasCam:

Honda don't generally need to bring themselves 'down' to compete with the bulk of the Asain market- they're more of a Vespa or Aprilia in that respect, without the romantic European pedigree, of course. And given the @125 used to cost the earth (and still sold!), this new scoot will certainly be a hit and will snatch a few sales from the cheaper Kymcos and SYM's in the process...

Well said! I think you well understand where I've been coming from in my comments.

The Honda name is synonymous with extremely well built, well engineered and reliable vehicles, usually priced at a premium. It's a good point that the @125 was more expensive, and by comparison, this new bike is very well priced for a Honda and for being the first bike with idle stop on the market.

It's been priced well and I'd expect it to be a hit. And tonight I spoke to someone with 50 odd years of motoribke experience and he also believes it will do very well.

Why Be Normal?
  • 07-16-2010 10:18 PM In reply to

Haribolman:

The Honda name is synonymous with extremely well built, well engineered and reliable vehicles, usually priced at a premium.

Except this one is made in Thailand. Yes, I know lots of vehicles are made in Thailand these days... I just question what exactly are we paying that premium for in such case.

• 07-16-2010 10:40 PM In reply to

ferrix:
    what exactly are we paying that premium for in such case

Service, Support, Marketing and executives to run the company, they get paid heaps.

Yellow Peugeot - Speedfight II 2006 - sold
    White Piaggio - X7 300 2010
  • 07-16-2010 11:01 PM In reply to

The @ was built in Italy what difference does it make where things are built as long as the quality is there . The motorcycle/scooter industry is only following how the car manufactures have factory's all over the world . Chasing cheep labor & tax incentives i suppose . My personal view is that more manufactures will concentrate on the development of smaller machines for the expanding markets like India & China where they can still make a profit by scale of sales . Me thinks interesting times are ahead such as in India where small motorcycles seem to be the thing rather than scooters now

• 07-20-2010 06:57 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Full euro release with specs now on Scootersales

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-3490-honda-pcx-125.aspx

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
Page 1 of 18 (268 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au