Scooter
Community

Piaggio Fly 150 Review

Last post 08-01-2011 02:32 AM by bunnybash. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2011 06:25 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Piaggio Fly 150 Review

What the conditional licence means is that you can just sit the MOST test and not do the 1day preprovisional training course and recieve a conditional licence which restricts you to riding nothing bigger than a 160cc auto. IMO the 1 day training course is well worth the money, There is heaps of great information for new riders plus skill development in preparation for the MOST test plus you get riding instruction. It seems crazy to me not to do the preprovisional course and miss out the good info, as well as being restricted to a 160cc auto and a conditional licence. Do the course.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-18-2011 08:14 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

If you sit your learners licence on an automatic you have to ride a auto up to your p's test and if you pass you are able to ride any scoot as long as it is automatic. Yes you can skip the day course and just do the last part, MOST test which allows you to ride an auto up to 160cc. But the day course sets you up to pass the MOST test. So do it. It isn't hard and then you can ride any auto scoot.

The fly is an excellent learner or inner city scoot. It suffers a bit at higher speeds, but it is fun to ride. I'm loving my time on the fly 150cc, I would like a bit more power and when I'm off my p's I will look at a larger scoot.

PS I would love to finish that conversation Jax, about scoots. We got stopped in the middle after you said the x7 was a bit of an armchair. I would love to hear your opinion on other scoots.

Cheers

Ansur

Piaggio Fly 150, Traded at 6000km's to Red GTS 250 20 000km's
    Full license 10/11/11.
  • 05-05-2011 08:51 PM In reply to

2 months with my Fly 150 and over 3,800ks on it already.

It is just getting better and better. 100ks no probs on the highway. Only mods I have done is to bend the tab that the sidestand rests on and cut the little rubber block in half so it is well up out of the way so it doesn't scrape anymore.Just had to get a large screwdriver and bend down the bit that your foot looks for so it doesn't rest on the bodywork. And pulled out the low beam warning light and twisted off the glass and reinstalled as it was annoying me.

Mine has never stalled, but did misbehave once whilst thrashing it up a long and bumpy section on the way to Beechmont. But after a 15 min rest it has never reaccured. Loose lead or fuel dirty/ vapour lock methinks.

All in all, this scoot has exceeded my expectations. Considering the rideaway price, I can see why it's number 1 on the sales charts.

Kawasaki LTD 440
    Kawasaki Z1000H
    Honda CBR250R
    Piaggio Fly 150
    Yamaha MT-07
  • 05-05-2011 09:08 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

Nice work. I'm just of 4000km and a few more months of ownership so I must not be riding enough. Can they get up to 100km/h? I really wouldn't know as I'm on my P's Smile. I would like to test out the speedo to see how accurate it is. I rode to work for the 1st time in 3 weeks on Tuesday and loved it. To bad I have had to carry a fair bit of stuff and have gone back to the car for most of the trips. I can't wait to get back to normal commute, 3-4 days per week.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 05-05-2011 09:41 PM In reply to

On mine, 105 indicated is 100kph.

Kawasaki LTD 440
    Kawasaki Z1000H
    Honda CBR250R
    Piaggio Fly 150
    Yamaha MT-07
  • 05-08-2011 08:23 PM In reply to

Just to add: Friday night (06/05/11) was my first ride on the M4, I entered via the Cumberland Hwy on-ramp on my way to the city. The Fly 150 was able to reach 90kph without any problems and I also had it up to 100kph at some stages, this was only achieved at full throttle. I'm 5'11 and weigh 75kg.

On the way home though via the M4 the Fly was able to hold a speed of 90kph comfortably but due to the M4 being somewhat up hill all the way to the old toll booths, the scoot found it hard to push beyond 90/95 and I was riding against a slight breeze.

All in all, I was happy with the Fly 150's speed, I would like a little more power (who doesn't Smile) and will purchase a Sito + exhaust and install it before the 1000k service, there's only 450k's on the clock so far. Other people have told me that when the Fly is run in, approx 2000kms, the engine will perform better.

A small wind screen will also be handy, it'll provide a little more top end and also keep the winter chill off your chest. I'm currently looking into whether a Falco LX 150 screen will fit a Fly. 

Piaggio X8 250ie - 11g Dr Pulley Sliders - Michelin City Grips
    Next upgrade: Leo Vince exhaust
  • 05-10-2011 06:36 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

I would love to hear about you mods and the effect on the fly. Looking forward to your future posts.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 05-25-2011 04:33 AM In reply to

• bmac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2010
    • Perth, WA
    • Posts 10

What kind of distance do you get on a full tank?

I picked up my new Fly (also white) on Friday and have only got approx 200km on the clock and I have filled up twice already. Admittedly I have filled up when the guage has inidicated that I am pretty much empty but I am guessing it can't be very accurate, or thats what I am hoping otherwise it is drinking fuel.

I ride a 70km round trip everyday and sit on 80km - stop/start - all the way.

• 05-25-2011 04:43 PM In reply to

The economy won't be the best as the scoot is new but because you're riding a round trip of 70kms a day you'll break the engine in quickly. I've just gone over 500Kms on the Fly 150 and I've filled it up 4 times already, it also depends on how you ride it and the petrol you use.

If you gun it at every opportunity you'll burn through the fuel, I've also noticed the economy is better using 95 octane.

Piaggio X8 250ie - 11g Dr Pulley Sliders - Michelin City Grips
    Next upgrade: Leo Vince exhaust
  • 05-25-2011 05:36 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

bmac:

What kind of distance do you get on a full tank?

I picked up my new Fly (also white) on Friday and have only got approx 200km on the clock and I have filled up twice already. Admittedly I have filled up when the guage has inidicated that I am pretty much empty but I am guessing it can't be very accurate, or thats what I am hoping otherwise it is drinking fuel.

I ride a 70km round trip everyday and sit on 80km - stop/start - all the way.

Yes I filled up twice in 210km, I started getting up to 130km per fill up. I know that it will loosen up and you will be able to travel further as you add more km. I'm almost 5000km now and I think I'm going to write down how much petrol and the amount of km's again (I did it when I first got it then stopped). So if all you fly owners want to do the same we could get a comparison. Say a 2 week period.

One other thing. I learned this and I'm guessing a few others may not know it either. The fly 150 has a 7.2L tank. I was only putting in 4.5L in regularly ie when the light came on. So there was still another 2.7 L's left. I now wait until the light comes on and make a call when it is convenient to fill up. So if the light goes on just as I'm getting home I ride to work and fill up on the way home. (35km trip to work one way). The most petrol I have ever put in is 6L so still had a reserve. You could work out how many Km's you are doing per L and be a bit more scientific.

I hope this helps

Ansur

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 05-26-2011 11:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

It's not too hard to figure out the range of a scooter once you know the size of the tank. Just fill it up, take note of the milage, fill it up again, check the new milage and work out the number of Ks/litre.  I reckon at 7.2 litres a fly would get at least 200ks/tank. It won't take long to get to know your fuel gauge.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-27-2011 04:26 AM In reply to

Yep and ones you now how far you can go on a tank then its sometimes easier of fill up from distance traveled on the odometer

• 07-30-2011 08:38 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

Hi,

I'll add a last note on the fly 150 as I've upgraded to a Vespa GTS 150.

I was going to add to the review after the 6000km service but that didn't happen. I had the fly 150 for almost a year. After its first service it never let me down. I never thought that I would ride to work very often, but towards the end it became my main form of transport. My commute has a large section of 80km/h zones and it had no trouble coping with that. The only problem was having to fill up a fairly often due to the distance of the commute (70ish km round trip). I would recommend the Fly 150 to anyone starting out or living in the city, but in the end I always wanted a Vespa and a larger engine helps as well. Good luck with your Fly's I will always be interested to read how you get on.

Thanks Fly, you got me into scooting and I will never forget you. I'm sure this review will continue in other hands.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 08-01-2011 02:32 AM In reply to

The fly is indeed the entryway scooter of choice for many... it was for me!  Kind of like a gateway drug... leading to other options for a bigger thrill!!!

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au