Scooter
Community

Just bought a used scooter!

Last post 11-15-2010 02:05 PM by CrEsT. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2010 11:42 PM

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

Just bought a used scooter!

I am now the proud owner of a scooter! Yes, starting small/entry level, trying to learn learn and learn.

I got my motorcycle learners at QLD Transport (only have to answer 5 questions, sweet!) then went straight and did QRIDE course - I did it with Ride Smart in QLD - Warren and another guy on day 1 (sorry I've forgot his name) and just Warren on day 2. These guys really know their stuff and taught me heaps. Even though I only wanted to get a 50cc scooter that's auto, I felt it would be good to do my full motorcycle training. Cashed in my certificate at QLD Transport and graduated to an Open RE Class licence which means I can ride up to certain 660cc/ml bikes.

Now, I'm not much of a mechanic, but I am very keen to learn as much as I can about this new scooter,, so am reading/watching heaps of videos etc to try and figure things out. Correct me if I'm wrong but a 2 stroke you don't ever need to do any oil changes because the engine just continually 'drinks' a little bit of oil as it takes in fuel.

This scooter I bought is only 7 months old, and has done 2500km. It's a Mojo Scooter Co GT50 (long name Longjia Riviera 50).

What should I be checking on the scooter?

Oil levels are good, don't know what brand/type of oil the previous owner put in it- should I ask, or is it ok to just buy a good motorcycle oil and mix it with whatever's already in the reservoir? Manual says Mineral or Semi-synthetic oil API-Norm TC, Jaso-Norm FC??

It has front & rear disc brakes, so has a brake fluid reservoir on both sides of the handlebar, each with a little circular window to see inside. When I did my motorcycle course I could see the brake fluid sploshing back and forth as I rode but no matter how close I look I can't see any brake fluid in mine. To me this either means its very empty, or very full (maybe its so full thats why I can't see any level)- is it worth pursuing further or given it's only done 2500km theres no need to investigate that.

Looking at the service schedule, the transmission oil should have been replaced at 1000km. I unscrewed the plastic cap on the trans oil and no oil flowed out, couldnt figure out how to check what level it was at. Maybe should put my finger in the hole to try and determine how much transmission oil is in there? The 3000km service says the only thing to do is clean the air filter. If so these things are very maintenance free!

Here is a piccy!

2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 - Red
    Fuelly
  • 11-08-2010 08:35 AM In reply to

Re: Just bought a used scooter!

Good morning, Dammit. Welcome to the scooting fraternity.

Congrats on the wise choice of licencing. It just opens up your options when wanting to try bigger and better things.

You're pretty much on the money with what you're saying. SOunds like you've been studying up on the right things. The mojo is a great little scoot from what I hear and one we were hoping to get hold of a few to start racing on at Lakeside.

regarding your master cylinders fluid levels. If you're having trouble seeing a bubble or level. Apart from checking to see an discolouration behind the glass eg slightly yellow that would signify that there is fluid in there. Apart from that and to be absolutely sure, you could take the caps off carefully and check the levels internally in case you might need to top up anyway.

Whereabouts in Brisbane are you as someone might be close to help you get intimate with your Scoot.

I'm at Rocklea and have a little workshop for rebuilding the odd scoot.

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 11-08-2010 04:14 PM In reply to

Marsden here and I'm happy to help out if I'm close enough.

• 11-09-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

hey guys, thanks for the hospitalities, I am in Milton just near the city. Keeping my eye out for any rides that people are organising (that I can keep up with!).

The mojo's fuel tank seems pretty small, 4.7L. I have used half a tank and only done 30km, does that seem normal or like it is using a bit more fuel than it should be?

Fuelly
  • 11-10-2010 12:24 AM In reply to

Are you going by the fuel gauge or looking into the tank as some fuel gauge needles can drop fast at first and then steady out . You should get over 100ks on a full tank . I would fill the tank then refill again after 100 ks to see what the fuel consumption is 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-10-2010 03:04 PM In reply to

dammit:

Oil levels are good, don't know what brand/type of oil the previous owner put in it- should I ask, or is it ok to just buy a good motorcycle oil and mix it with whatever's already in the reservoir? Manual says Mineral or Semi-synthetic oil API-Norm TC, Jaso-Norm FC??

We use Shell SX2, the engine is a Minarelli clone, air cooled 2 stroke so it doesn't need a full synmthetic super oil. We often find they (full synthetic) burn too dry in these engines anyway. Two strokes hold oil in the bottle & use as required, don't need to change just keep topping it up (Preferrably with the same oil).

dammit:

It has front & rear disc brakes, so has a brake fluid reservoir on both sides of the handlebar, each with a little circular window to see inside. When I did my motorcycle course I could see the brake fluid sploshing back and forth as I rode but no matter how close I look I can't see any brake fluid in mine. To me this either means its very empty, or very full (maybe its so full thats why I can't see any level)- is it worth pursuing further or given it's only done 2500km theres no need to investigate that.

Lean the scoot on its side and check the level, if its very full you will see.

dammit:
    I unscrewed the plastic cap on the trans oil and no oil flowed out, couldnt figure out how to check what level it was at. Maybe should put my finger in the hole to try and determine how much transmission oil is in there? The 3000km service says the only thing to do is clean the air filter. If so these things are very maintenance free!

That plastic cap is the filler, more air than oil in there. They hold 100 to 110ml to change you unscrew the dran (at the bottom) and let the oil drain out re secure the drain plug & put in 100 to 110ml.

At 3,000 you will have to do more than the air filter, the variator and rollers will need inspection and trans oil replaced, check/adjust steering head bearings etc etc. A lot of inspecting - depending on how it has been used (or abused) will dictate whether consumerables will need replacing.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 11-10-2010 03:20 PM In reply to

Do you have a trip meter? Do you ride a lot in the city?  how hard are you pushing the motor?

All those things play a factor in the fuel consuption

I know my fueltank stays on full for 2 days then goes to half, by thurs its  a smidget over the red. Never tested how much the red would give me, I just fill it up then and that's about 320km for me. And I ride that on backroads back and forth to work.

On my little one I go by the trip meter. and it seems to  use less, but then it's my " I have ll the time in the world" ride, never push it, just cruise along.

I now think it's just something you have to test

• 11-10-2010 03:27 PM In reply to

cute little power pipe its got on there

dont get struck by a truck
  • 11-10-2010 05:35 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

being in Milton, you are in the perfect spot for a trip up Mt Cootha.  A great ride for 50cc - 50km limit, double lane for heading up to the lookout &  Nice twisties down the back way.  Have fun.

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 11-10-2010 08:12 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

t2bitha:

being in Milton, you are in the perfect spot for a trip up Mt Cootha.  A great ride for 50cc - 50km limit, double lane for heading up to the lookout &  Nice twisties down the back way.  Have fun.

Hmmm...got me thinking....summer is back.....time to start doing the night rides again! Wink

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 11-11-2010 06:45 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

On a scooter like this you have very few things to worry about, that is the beauty of a 2 stroke 50 cc scooter.

If all fluid levels are fine and the scooter runs suitably well then you should be fine. The good thing here is that you have the basis for varying forms of performance and the fun has just begun. Find yourself an expert.....

As others have suggested keep the good quality 2 stroke oil flowing, it will help......

I would just be looking at the factors of keeping it clean and tidy, in good condition. This will help with the life of a scooter like this.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 11-12-2010 04:28 PM In reply to

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

Thanks for all the input!

Re: Fuel economy - I was going off the fuel gauge - will get 100km distance then refill and see how many L were used - good idea.

no trip meter just the odometer (noted it when filled up then what it now is on), just been riding in the city, stop start at intersections/lights and from zero to full to get away from cars.

Mt Cootha ride sounds great - one problem though, this scoot is derestricted (I think just by a different CDI), which means on the flat it accelerates well, gets to 50-60 quite easily and you feel like its hit top speed, then it gets this burst of energy after that out of nowhere and gets up to 70-75km/hr. One thing I've noticed is if you are going up a big hill, if you don't have a really good run up with speed, and have to start the incline from a low speed, I find myself chugging up the hill at about 25-30km/hr which is not good with cars behind me, it seems to sit on 30km/hr and not get above that until you are at the top of the hill or it gets a bit flatter. These are big hills around Paddington/Red Hill, but it would be good if I could get the  scooter to be a bit more zippy going up these hills - any ideas or is this a problem all 50cc's have? Because I would love to go for a ride up Mt Cootha or Mt Glorious but don't want to become road kill!

Doing some research into Oil - going to go with the Shell SX2 I think following scooter hq's reco.

I have noticed theres not many planned scooter rides around Brisbane, esp for us 50cc owners,, hopefully we can plan a few rides!

Fuelly
  • 11-12-2010 04:57 PM In reply to

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

you know I should also mention I weigh 75kg, in case you were wondering re my speed/hill issues.

Fuelly
  • 11-12-2010 07:16 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

no, not just you - all the 50cc seem to die in the a$$ on a hill. Ask i5uzu!! LOL  Even my 100 Bali chugs up the steep hills at around 40kms.

since Mount Cootha is two lanes up the front road, you don't need to worry about the cars. 

I am heading to GC for ride to Binna Burra tomorrow morning.  I think the lads are taking their 50cc, if you want to learn the service roads down and join in I can meet you (would be early about 6.45, to get there for 8.30am).

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 11-12-2010 07:39 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

t2bitha:

no, not just you - all the 50cc seem to die in the a$ on a hill. Ask i5uzu!!

Yeah.....but don't forget mine had to haul my fat 107kg a$s around......Stick out tongue

Sounds like the scooter needs the rollers & contra spring adjusted to make the mos of the torque that you have with your weight.

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au