Scooter
Community

Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Last post 02-17-2011 10:39 PM by captainpotato. 78 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2010 10:42 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

Re: Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

what an excellent adventure, tattie.  i also have enjoyed the challange on getting the bali around on some major trips.  i still have to see your route.  i don't know what the climate would be like, but i think from some of your other trips, you have been travelling on major highways,and are confident to ride with large trucks etc overtaking.  my tip would be, do hook turns if you are taking  a right off the highway, always.

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 12-11-2010 12:00 AM In reply to

Thanks, t2bitha. The hook turn idea is a good one - I'm hoping it won't be peak hour traffic for most of it, but I'll be certainly watching out for the road trains.

As for my exact route - that's going to be a daily decision, I suspect. I'm looking more into it each day (especially as I now know how to make Google Maps save the route I've plotted out - hint: don't tell it to avoid highways and tolls, but make the changes manually), so it's slowly getting definition to it.

• 12-11-2010 05:56 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

...:
    Keep a lookout for a Postie bike with two large mortar/ammo containers as panniers. :)

I've changed the setup there a little, ditching the ammo tins (too heavy for a really long ride..)  The setup is now this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_b/5249077456/

As for the food, my GP reckons you can live indefinitely on water, peanuts, and the occassional citris-rich item.. I've actually finished with a diet recently (I lost 23 kilos..), so I still have the habit of counting kilojoules-- 9500kJ/day will be the plan.

• 12-11-2010 08:11 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

captainpotato:
    ....(especially as I now know how to make Google Maps save the route I've plotted out....
    I use Motowhere for route-creating........its "engine" is Google Maps.

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 12-11-2010 09:40 AM In reply to

..., you make me feel positively lightweight with my planned equipment list! Mind you, you are certainly going to be going far further from civilisation that I shall be. My sleeping bag is much smaller and I am only taking a 5L jerrycan, so that's a chunk of the difference in volume. I'm also going to be looking at how I can incorporate your 'stubby holder' idea as I do really like that as an idea (if there's anywhere I can mount it).

hcrun, thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of the site before.

• 12-11-2010 10:06 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

...:

I've changed the setup there a little, ditching the ammo tins (too heavy for a really long ride..)  The setup is now this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_b/5249077456/

LOL. That looks like the original camel. Good on you mate.

Just 1 thing, those bungie straps can be a real pain. I'd use the tie down straps with a ratchet. You can get them at Bunnings, various lengths, and they won't slide about. Bon Voyage.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-11-2010 07:08 PM In reply to

The secret is to travel as light as possible i pity that poor posti bikes back wheel

• 12-12-2010 03:51 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

petegailey:
    Just 1 thing, those bungie straps can be a real pain. I'd use the tie down straps with a ratchet

Yes they were-- and the motorcycle tie-down straps I got today have made everything even more stable, and there's the intended purpose, too.

My 'Grand Tour' starts tomorrow morning..

• 12-12-2010 05:38 PM In reply to

All the best have a good enjoyable trip

• 12-14-2010 01:53 PM In reply to

I don't know if this is mentioned anywhere, but have you considered getting a CamelBak? It is a little backpack that contains a rubber(?) sleeve that holds water/gatorade with a hose coming out, that connects to one of the backpack straps. They are designed for pushbike riders and marathon runners.

The idea is, you can have a drink of water whenever you want instead of having to stop. I borrowed my sister's on my biggest pushbike ride ever (Orange to Canberra) and it was great.

The rubber/plastic or whatever it's made of has an anti-bacterial substance made into it that stops your water going gross. The bags last longer without the water going gross if you empty out as much water as possible before storing, and give it a rinse before filling up again. I think they hold about two litres or so.

The little backpack can hold a couple of things as well if you want, like sunscreen, phone, etc. It is also very flat so you can wear it underneath another backpack.

You might be able to do with a smaller jerry can, and it means you can ride for longer without stopping.

• 12-14-2010 10:44 PM In reply to

Quantumcat - thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of one of those, but it makes sense. I hadn't really worked out how I was going to carry enough water for the ride each day, but one of those would help a lot. I presume that the weight of a full one isn't an issue?

• 12-15-2010 12:03 AM In reply to

Post office sold some cheap camel back alternative last year don't now if they are still available

• 12-16-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

captainpotato:

Quantumcat - thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of one of those, but it makes sense. I hadn't really worked out how I was going to carry enough water for the ride each day, but one of those would help a lot. I presume that the weight of a full one isn't an issue?

I didn't notice mine when I was riding my bike. I guess 2 litres is 2 kilos, and it would be spread across your back rather than in one place so you don't notice it. Oh, and an extra benefit I didn't mention, was you can put your MP3 player in the little backpack and attach the earbuds to the backpackstraps so if they fall out they aren't hard to put back in (and you don't have to stop).

Oh, by the way, have you considered doing it for a charity? You could get people to sponsor you. Say, per town visited, per kilometre, etc. You could talk to your local news station or newspaper and get them to follow your trip. That would spread the word and you'd get more sponsorship. You could also set up a dedicated website for your blog, and have links on it to Paypal for people to donate and sponsor you. Also if you are doing it for the benefit of a charity, you could probably get free hotel rooms on your trip, in exchange for them being listed on  your website as sponsors.

My vote would be for the RSPCA.

• 12-17-2010 08:09 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

(Now 910kms into my trip! I'm managing about 320-350 kms per day when riding. The only 'adventure' to date was when the bike fell over yesterday and broke the front brake lever, so I had to make a 100km detour to Toowoomba to get a spare.. There's a new photo on my Flickr photostream.)

Camelbacks: For the amount of water I need to carry, 3-4 litres, I had to rule one out, from that weight on my back for long periods of time.

I can't support the charity idea. from past experiences, I have problems with donating/volunteering for groups that I can't verify as well-managed... You can also say that you're doing this 'for yourself', 'for the adventure', etc., which goes down well with everyone you'll meet. 

• 12-21-2010 08:37 PM In reply to

I've been (somewhat) busy in the last few days getting things ready (I leave in under five days), so here's the first post about what I've been up to: a test pack.

http://scooterodyssey.blogspot.com/2010/12/test-pack.html

Getting close now...

Page 2 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au