Scooter
Community

Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Last post 02-17-2011 10:39 PM by captainpotato. 78 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2010 04:00 PM In reply to

Re: Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Keep it up mate ( that could be the wrong saying considering where you spent the night ) Big Smile

• 12-28-2010 10:05 PM In reply to

Day three's entry is now up - I'm in Port MacDonnell, having narrowly avoided disaster at the end of the day. Otherwise it's been a fun day, again.

• 12-28-2010 10:49 PM In reply to

Keep an eye on that Shaun

• 12-29-2010 07:42 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

...:
    ...and if anyone was wondering about me-- I'm now in Mt Isa, about 3,000 kms into the trip. :)

looking at the rain, I am amazed you are still full steam ahead.... Well done

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-29-2010 09:13 PM In reply to

Today's entry is up. Almost completely smooth, other than for the first gremlin rearing its ugly head... Grr.

• 12-30-2010 01:36 AM In reply to

Check to see if your speedo drive as come disconnected at the wheel after the fall  . Don't now if the drive is off the front or back wheel but normally the front .Just had a look at a picture of your scooter the speedo drive (that cable thing ) goes from the center of your front wheel (right hand side ) up in to the speedo head . make sure it as not got kinked & is fastened in to both ends the inner cable inside the outer cable  is like a square drive  

• 12-30-2010 03:54 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

...:
    ...and if anyone was wondering about me-- I'm now in Mt Isa, about 3,000 kms into the trip. :)

Highjacking CP's thread once again, I'm now in Darwin! :)

The Postie Bike is doing well. There have been a few things to attend to along the way (broken brake lever, replacing speedo cable, drivechain, tire, and headlight), however I've had no problems in the least in getting them taken care of-- I spent Xmas Eve getting drunk with the Motorcycle Mechanic at Longreach. :)

My favourite part of the trip was the big run along the Barkly Highway, from Mt Isa to (but not including -_-) the Threeways where it mets with the Stuart Highway, but the trip through Queensland was a very close second, with the pub accomodation at the Barco Hotel in Blackall, the Drillham Community Hall camp site, and being able to visit some people in Charleville. The Barkly Homestead was (justifyably) expensive, but the camping there was great, at $8.

The sucky part was the Stuart Highway up NT-- it's not a great travelling road... Decent rest areas are few, dodgy roadhouses, lously accomodation options, and I had a whole day of rain before I arrived. Not finding the Stuart that great, I hooned through, managing to do 583 kms and 564 kms on the two days-- usually I've been doing 360-400 kms/day.

As for the rain and flooding-- it's all be avoiding me! Roads that were closed, were opened by the time I arrived, and closed back up right after.

• 12-30-2010 05:28 PM In reply to

Big Smile May your luck with the weather continue Cool

• 12-30-2010 08:46 PM In reply to

Thanks, Pyrah. Really appreciate that. Will go take a look now and report back tomorrow,

Day 5 is now upWarrnambool to Apollo Bay, taking in the hilly stretches of the Great Ocean Road.

• 12-31-2010 11:51 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Both you guys are awesome. mad but awesome. well done!

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-31-2010 09:09 PM In reply to

Thanks, petegalley :) If this is as mad as I get, then I'll cope. Already thinking to the next ride after this one :)

Day 6 - the final day of 2010 - is now live. The last of the Great Ocean Road and sweltering heat made for a memorable ride.

Happy New Year everybody.

• 12-31-2010 10:05 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

captainpotato:
    Already thinking to the next ride after this one :)

Of course there's been the several former Harley riders on this trip who've gone "You'll have to do a **BIG BIKE** next!"... but I'm thinking of getting a Mini Moke.

I've done the moped thing-- a 39cc motorised pushbike over a 1200km trip back in 2004. Walking? :)

• 01-01-2011 09:06 PM In reply to

I used to have Minis (never a Moke though) - they are great fun.

Day 7's entry is now up. I'm in Foster tonight, did around 275km today.

• 01-02-2011 09:46 PM In reply to

Today's entry - day 8 - is upTidal River, Mount Oberon (not a fairy in sight) and overnighting in Warratah Bay.

• 01-03-2011 09:31 PM In reply to

Day 9's entry is now upI managed to lose my sense of direction, almost became the bonnet ornament on a horse float-towing ute and found a road covered in ducks. All in a single day.

Page 4 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au