Scooter
Community

Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Last post 02-17-2011 10:39 PM by captainpotato. 78 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2011 09:02 AM In reply to

Re: Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Day 10's entry is now up. Hanging out in Melbourne, reflecting on the world. Nice, relaxed day. More of the same today.

• 01-05-2011 10:52 PM In reply to

Day 11's entry is up. Hardly any riding today, as I'm still in Melbourne, catching up with friends and seeing the sights. Still fun riding around though.

• 01-06-2011 08:42 PM In reply to

Day 12's entry is now upount Macedon, Woodend and back to Rockbank. Most of the day was spent trying to work out n which direction to head, so I've chosen to head back into Melbourne. Easy.

• 01-08-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

Day 13's entry is up. Werribee Zoo, RAAF Museum and back to Melbourne to see friends.

Heading home tomorrow. For sure, this time.

• 01-09-2011 01:47 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

(Btw, I'm not creating my own adventure ride thread (alan: maybe an idea for a toplevel forum topic?), as I consider this a forum for Scooters, not motorbikes.. It's looking more like CP will have finished the ride by the time I make SA/VIC at this time too, so I'm likely to miss the cameo in his blog. :)

"The Easyrider Postman Fantasy That's Gotten Out Of Control" has made it to Alice Springs, helped along by losing my tent poles somewhere between Daly Waters and Katherine-- I'm riding longer as there's less time needed to set up a camp (I'm sleeping out in the open on a towel... :P)

Publicity pic! http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_b/5335142043/

The Honda Postie has been a great bike for touring on-- largely because I've been able to find all the parts I need (new drive chain, rear tire, front brake lever, etc.) at the next stop. (From the looks of it, the Honda range of scooters are well-supported in the Northern Territory too.) I'm currently taking a 2-day break at the YHA in Alice Springs, and on Monday I'll bet getting new tentpoles/tent, S4 headlight globe, and hopefully a new speedo cable, before I start on the Alice->Port Augusta->Adelaide stage.

• 01-09-2011 09:11 PM In reply to

..., you might be in luck, as I won't be home until Thursday, I think. I haven't decided which direction I'm going from Daylesford (where I am currently), but I now beginning to lean towards Swan Hill, then following the Murray, before stopping off in the Barossa for a couple of bottles to celebrate my arrival home. You never know, we may cross paths on that last stretch if you are heading through there on Thursday.

Two entries for today:

Day 14: no scootering at all, but a lot of drinking

Day 15: heading home from Melbourne, unsure as to the direction yet. 

• 01-10-2011 10:21 PM In reply to

Day 16 is now over. I set off in a different direction from the way planned, wished for an Ark at various stages. It's appropriate I ended up at Ararat when the rain eased.

• 01-12-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

That's it, people, I'm home - the final on-the-road entry is up.

Don't think that this is the end of the blogging. It isn't ;)

• 01-12-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

well done capn. I've loved readoing your blog!!

• 01-12-2011 01:08 PM In reply to

Thanks for the trip mate Yes

• 01-14-2011 02:13 PM In reply to

As mentioned previously, I may be back, but it isn't the end of the blogging about the trip. Here's the first entry - some panorama shots from the first five days of the trip.

• 01-19-2011 10:51 PM In reply to

Hi Anthony

Love reading your blogs.

well done on completing your trip its sounds like you had a great time

Nice panorama photos

From

David & Dorothy camp site in Warrnambool 

• 01-23-2011 03:20 PM In reply to

Hi David and Dorothy,

Nice to hear from you - glad you've been enjoying the blog.

For those of you who haven't been looking at it of late, there are a couple of new posts added in the last week.

• 01-23-2011 07:43 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

An update from me-- I've now completed my adventure ride: the Newcastle - Brisbane - Darwin - Adelaide - Sydney trip on the Postie bike being over 9550 kilometres, over 42 days (about half being riding days). I certainly enjoyed the whole experience, although the part of trying to find accomodation in some places sucked ($22 for an unpowered tent on mud in Wagga? pfft. *1*).

In another thread a while ago, I mentioned the plans to try the 1000km In A Day challenge on the humble little CT110--- the attempt was thwarted by bad weather and a failed taillight, so most riding in a day was from Mildura (where I did a runner on a dodgy campsite at 4am in the morning :P), to Jugilong (where the locals invited me to camp in their park :), which was 734 kilometres.

I'll certainly do another adventure ride, although not exactly like this one-- with a different (small) bike, to a different place, and likely not as intense. I would say that only the Postie would've survived this trip (and the 2 accidents--would've been quite bad on a 'big' bike). The carrying brackets and frame for my gear worked -very- well, and I will have to write it up for the CT Trail and Bike Adventure forums.

[*1* Central Australia spoiled me. $3.30 to stay at the Devils Marbles and Henbury Meteorite Craters... I also found several 'free' tent sites with -full facilities- (toilet, showers, electricity), like the Drillham Community Hall-- when I found where the key to everything was hidden. :-D)

• 01-23-2011 08:21 PM In reply to

Nice to hear that you made it back intact as well. $22 for a campsite wasn't too bad - a far cry from the $50 I had to pay for New Year's Eve or some of the others around $40 around that time.

Never occurred to me to look for keys at community halls - thanks for the tip for the next adventure ;)

Page 5 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au