Scooter
Community

Honda SH300i timelaps review

Last post 07-16-2012 08:12 AM by White Fang. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2011 03:33 PM

Honda SH300i timelaps review

I had a quick search through this forum to see if there is a SH300i review thread, as I found Allen's Scootersales.com.au review good.  But what about a long term test report.

Well yesterday I registered the scooter and took it for it's first ride around town.  The first things i noticed was the look of the SH series the rear of the sccoter is a beaut but the front is more like only something a mother could love.  As for the topbox ditched to the garage.  Secondly the seating was very upright and you feel like your sitting up very high, but as soon as you fire up that Honda engine and roll the throtle on you know your in for something special.  As this is my first big wheeled scooter it has taken me a day of carpark weaving to work out how much you can lean the bike opps scooter over.  If I had to describe the SH300i i would call it more of an automatic bike as the road mannors remind me more of what a bike is like than other scooters ive riden. 

Stay tuned for some future updates

Tin Toppers look but your the one living the dream

Fly 125 traded at 4900km Honda SH300i 4000km Sold 2009 Vespa GTS250ie (Ivy) 28000km traded 2014 Vespa GTS250ie let the adventures continue.
  • 02-12-2011 05:02 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Honda SH300i timelaps review

Gee digitalscoot, all you need now is a Tmax and you've got the trifecta. I know Gary has almost got 32,000ks up on his and will be posting a review on the 32,000k club thread soon. Jen's got to have the fastest SH300 with Dr Pulley sliders an a J Costa variator. No one can get near her off the lights. The SH300 has to be the fastest 300 on the road.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 02-12-2011 05:24 PM In reply to

Big Smile We just need a bit of Aprilia V Honda rivalry now Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-12-2011 09:45 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

I tried to drag her off with a Sportscity cube 300, twice, and at 80k/h she left me for dead.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 02-13-2011 11:17 PM In reply to

petegailey:

Gee digitalscoot, all you need now is a Tmax and you've got the trifecta. I know Gary has almost got 32,000ks up on his and will be posting a review on the 32,000k club thread soon. Jen's got to have the fastest SH300 with Dr Pulley sliders an a J Costa variator. No one can get near her off the lights. The SH300 has to be the fastest 300 on the road.

Well unless I see a new Tmax at a price I can't say no for i'll settle for just 2 out 3 Smile Actually this year i'm hoping to add a Honda CB1100F to the collection and maybe next year ill get my maxi scooter a Honda VFR1200 DCT.  Well there would be no doubting that the VFR would be the fastest scooter of all time.

Well today I put a few 100 more km on the clock of the SH300i and what can i say i feel alive.  The good and bad point today;

- storeage: underseat storage is annoying but luckly there is a helment hook.  Would like a second hook on the otherside.

: shopping bag hook is good easy to operate with gloves on and a flat floor for the bags to sit on.  Something I have missed on the Vespa.

: top box, personly I dont like top boxes and you need a degree to open and lock the honda top box included with the SH300i.  On the plus side it is so easy to take off and carry like a bag.  This feature gets a huge double plus from me take note Piaggio all factory topboxes should be this easy to install/remove.

: glove compartment is a little small and unlockable but there is a nice 12v power outlet in there.  Not sure what I will be storing in there yet.

Today was the first day of filling up the Green Hornet at the servo and i noticed today that the filler neck of the tank has a metal bar that stops the petrol nozzle being inserted to far.  My first thought were oh no im going to end up with over fill like with the vespa gts unless you are very careful.  To my surprise no problems, I forgot that Honda just makes things that work first time everytime.

Hope to soon take the green hornet down through the twistie of the great ocean road soon.  Handle will be my next topic Smile

Fly 125 traded at 4900km Honda SH300i 4000km Sold 2009 Vespa GTS250ie (Ivy) 28000km traded 2014 Vespa GTS250ie let the adventures continue.
  • 02-23-2011 06:24 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    Jen's got to have the fastest SH300 with Dr Pulley sliders an a J Costa variator. No one can get near her off the lights. The SH300 has to be the fastest 300 on the road.

Pete - nope Jen's SH300i just has a J Costa variator. On the other hand Dr Pulley's sliders are re-fitted to the OEM variator. They are completely different designs...but hey effing fast, there is immediate getup-and-go the second you open the gas! Just the thing for odd Sydney traffic light derby.

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 03-20-2011 11:09 PM In reply to

1000km update

Well I’ve tried really hard to not like this Honda scoot but things aren’t going to plan.  After taking the SH300i down the great ocean road to Lorne for a shake down on seeing how it handles the twisties, I can say it is mighty impressive.  I find it very hard to feel the difference between a naked bike and SH300i in corners.  The throaty low grunge noise that the exhaust makes me smiles a mile wide.

My highway trip to Melbourne was excellent too where I found myself feeling at home in the right hand lane.  Something I find a little uneasy doing on the Vespa GTS as there isn’t much left in reserve if a cager comes up and sits on your ***.  Plus with the bigger wheels I spent less time scanning the road looking for bad parts to avoid.

Running cost for a 1000k service on the green hornet wasn’t that bad considering it is a Honda.  $217 is pretty reasonable for a first service I thought so I’m now looking forward to clocking up a few more k’s.  The biggest issue I can see if the green hornet is in desperate need for a wind screen for highway use.

• 03-23-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

• Kiwiscoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 174

great review. The SH300i is one of my favourite scoots. Here is Givis list of screens/accessories

http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=HONDA&mo=SH-300i-11

The sliding screen look like an interesting concept. I have a Givi screen for my SYM Citycom 300i and it does a great job. I ride with the factory screen in summer, but shortly the Givi screen will go back on for winter is at the door here in Kiwi land.

Kiwiscoot
    2008 Xingyue XY150T-5100kms of fun. Gone.
    2008 SYM Citycom 300i 47000+kms, was a blast!! Sold now
    In the market need scoot will do 190kph, 3l/100km, 20 000km service intervals,under $10 000, dual purpose to explore back country - where is it?! sigh!
  • 03-26-2011 01:14 AM In reply to

Kiwiscoot:

great review. The SH300i is one of my favourite scoots. Here is Givis list of screens/accessories

http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=HONDA&mo=SH-300i-11

The sliding screen look like an interesting concept. I have a Givi screen for my SYM Citycom 300i and it does a great job. I ride with the factory screen in summer, but shortly the Givi screen will go back on for winter is at the door here in Kiwi land.

The sliding screen looks interesting but im going to keep things small and simple im looking at puig screen

http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/honda-scoopy-sh-300-inyec-2007/city-touring/c171en/f227-r26-m1564/ 

• 01-23-2012 09:32 PM In reply to

Hi, can you tell me where Jen got the work on her SH300 done, or where would be a good place to get it done? I live on the north side of Sydney. Thanks.

Sydney /Piaggio Beverly 350
  • 01-23-2012 09:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Jens partner Ian is a bike engineer extraordinaire and he fitted the Honda with the J Costa Variator. You should be able to source one on line and then find someone to fit it for you. You could ask Peter Hull from Club Shed if he"d be up for it. Even Sydney City Motorcycles? or Scooter Central?.

• 01-24-2012 05:14 AM In reply to

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm about to buy a SH300 and have owned one before. My only complaint, performance wise, was the lag getting away from the lights. This or the Dr Pulley Sliders seem to fix the problem.

• 01-24-2012 08:14 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Yep those SH300 Hondas are very good! Pity that they look so homogenised. The Dr Pulley option is much cheaper than the J Costa and a fair way to being as effective.

• 01-31-2012 06:28 PM In reply to

Well I've done some research and thought I might as well post some of my research here in case someone else finds this thread. The Dr Pulley information can be found at:

http://www.drpulley.info/drpulley_docs/Typenliste.pdf

The Scooter Doctor in Dee Why imports and fits them. He's an English guy who seems to know what he's talking about. He didn't have the SR2318 ones I needed so he's getting them in on his next order. I'll be going for the 17g ones; a little conservative.

Pete, I agree with your opinion of the SH300i. If only they would drop the engine and mechanical bits inside the body of a PCX125 scoot, that would be nice.

• 01-31-2012 10:49 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

darrellf1:
    If only they would drop the engine and mechanical bits inside the body of a PCX125 scoot, that would be nice.
    That would be VERY NICE!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au