Scooter
Community

Smoke pouring out at higher speed

Last post 06-03-2013 01:38 AM by INMA. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2011 11:23 PM

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

Smoke pouring out at higher speed

I went for a little ride on the Riverside Expressway Brisbane tonight on my 50cc scooter (naughty I know because mopeds are banned-oh well its faster than a tractor!), I only went in the 50-80km/hr area which I can comfortably keep up.

Anyway I got the fright of my life, had only been riding for a few minutes and in the mirrors I could see this massive pile of white smoke, looked down and it was coming out of the exhaust! Like a smoke machine at a metallica concert. About a month or so ago I had drained the whole oil and replaced it with new quality stuff, dont usually get any smoke at all (maybe a smidge on start up). but tonight no smoke on start up/warm up but POURED out when I was up to about 70km/hr full throttle going down a slight slope on the REX topping the scooter out at its max speed. I had only been going top speed for maybe 1 minute and only riding for say 5-6 minutes in total.

Was I revving/pushing the scooter too hard? Was the smoke from unburnt oil deposits previous, sitting in the exhaust now heating up (doubt it because it was a cold night), or does my scooter need adjusting the oil flow to lower it because the oil pump is mixing too much oil into the fuel causing the smoke (is this even possible? how do I find/adjust it)??

The other thing ive noticed is on roads that are quite busy in peak/stopped traffic, there is a line in the middle of the lane of peoples oil drips, which if I go around a slight curve in the road and cross over this line could be deadly. Got a fright from that too.

Scooter is a Mojo GT-50 no mods except derestricted CDI.

2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 - Red
    Fuelly
  • 02-24-2011 11:39 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

Re: Smoke pouring out at higher speed

(ignore)

• 02-24-2011 11:40 PM In reply to

did you just brush your teeth or have you blown a seal

dont get struck by a truck
  • 02-24-2011 11:46 PM In reply to

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

Josh- not sure what you mean!

rebuild time? its only done 3500km and isn't even 1 year old!

didn't really stop long enough to smell it, although I think i have smelt it a little before when the scooter was hot. I did also do a change of oil on the gearbox oil approx 1 month ago too. It was dark so can only assume it was white smoke because cars behind in their headlights it glowed/seemed white.

do i go for a ride in daylight to see what colour the smoke is to recreate it or wont that do more damage if there is an issue? it def wouldnt be the oil:mix pump ratio thingo?

Fuelly
  • 02-25-2011 12:05 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

dammit:

I went for a little ride on the Riverside Expressway Brisbane tonight on my 50cc scooter (naughty I know because mopeds are banned-oh well its faster than a tractor!), I only went in the 50-80km/hr area which I can comfortably keep up.

Anyway I got the fright of my life, had only been riding for a few minutes and in the mirrors I could see this massive pile of white smoke, looked down and it was coming out of the exhaust! Like a smoke machine at a metallica concert. About a month or so ago I had drained the whole oil and replaced it with new quality stuff, dont usually get any smoke at all (maybe a smidge on start up). but tonight no smoke on start up/warm up but POURED out when I was up to about 70km/hr full throttle going down a slight slope on the REX topping the scooter out at its max speed. I had only been going top speed for maybe 1 minute and only riding for say 5-6 minutes in total.

Was I revving/pushing the scooter too hard? Was the smoke from unburnt oil deposits previous, sitting in the exhaust now heating up (doubt it because it was a cold night), or does my scooter need adjusting the oil flow to lower it because the oil pump is mixing too much oil into the fuel causing the smoke (is this even possible? how do I find/adjust it)??

The other thing ive noticed is on roads that are quite busy in peak/stopped traffic, there is a line in the middle of the lane of peoples oil drips, which if I go around a slight curve in the road and cross over this line could be deadly. Got a fright from that too.

Scooter is a Mojo GT-50 no mods except derestricted CDI.

Now i wonder if it could be as simple as the last lot of fuel being contaminated with diesel fuel , if this is the case then i suspect that being a 2stroke it would probably still run ok but it would definately blow white smoke & heaps of it too ,how long before this smoke issue did you fuel up ? , maybe a good starting point to ditch the fuel & refill it & see what happens.

good luck

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-25-2011 07:33 AM In reply to

• dammit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2010
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 64

its been about a week since I filled up and I have ridden a good 50km on various trips across the week since, not noticing any smoke at all. last night this was the first time i have had the scooter maxed on top speed/above 60km hr for more than a few seconds, this was going full speed for about 2 minutes for the smoke to happen. does this indicate it wouldnt be the fuel? I got shell ultimate which i get every time from the same servo.

should I try a new spark plug?

edit: just had another thought, could there have been a little water pooled in the exhaust because the scooter has been sitting outside in the rain? the other thing may sound silly but my dog may have pee'd on the exhaust? trying to think if it is water and did not heat up enough to evaporate until i got to the high speeds/heated up a bit.

Fuelly
  • 02-25-2011 08:31 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

dammit:
    should I try a new spark plug?
    NO

dammit:
    silly but my dog may have pee'd on the exhaust
    Funny but No

Does the scooter now idle OK, Does it start OK, Does it run and accelerate well under 50Km/h.

If it is still doing all these things well and all seems OK maybe the oil pump mixture is not right.

If the scooter is running fine, starting fine and still going well under 50 providing nice acceleration and not stuttering, it doubt it has seized.

On a hot day does it lose performance?

If the scooter is still going well I would take it back to the dealer and have him adjust and check it out. One thing I am sure of is that you shouldn't be adjusting the oil pump yourself.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 02-25-2011 11:16 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

dammit:
    my dog may have pee'd on the exhaust
    dammit:
    should I try a new spark plug

Not sure about the spark plug , but i would be definately cutting off the dogs sparkplug broBig Smile lol

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-25-2011 06:36 PM In reply to

• 02-25-2011 07:26 PM In reply to

You can tell if the oil fuel mixture is about right by recording  / remembering how much petrol you use to how much oil you put in. My NSR uses 1 bottle of oil very 2 -3 tankfulls of petrol so about 40:1 mix.

It's CVT so there is no gearbox so no seal to let gearbox oil in. If a crankcase seal was blown it would probably not run at all.

It is not water cooled so no coolant is entering the engine. Ie. blown head gasket. 

With two strokes, when used at part throttle, sometimes oil accumulates in the bottom of the crankcase and only gets blown out when operating at maximum throttle. You will know if this is likely if you monitor the oil consumption. 

When you emptied out the oil are you talking two stoke oil or the rear gear casing. If 2T did you change to fully synthetic 2T oil? 

Do you have any technical ability? Checking the oil pump is not difficult if you do. There will be two marks one on the oil pump quadrant and one on the oil pump or crankcase. They line up usually at full throttle but sometimes at idle. As long as they line up you will be OK. Where is the oil pump? At the end of the rubber tube going to the inlet maniold and at the end of the second cable coming from the twist grip. Still unsure? take it to the dealer for a check.

This is NOT an Mojo GT50 but you get the idea? neither is this

pump

• 02-25-2011 09:42 PM In reply to

i dont know how auto 2t scooters work but if it was amanual no not tommy amanual but one with gears that you change,, then you can drop the gear oil and sniff it to see if youve got petrol in it that would again indicate youve just brushed your teeth or had oral sex with a seal

does anyone know for certain if that test works on auto two strokes

dont get struck by a truck
  • 02-25-2011 11:16 PM In reply to

dammit:

Dammit....  Just before you think it's terminal... and before you consider changing your crankcase seals.... The gearbox is nowhere near the engine in question...Blam?

Anyway, consider this..... You did say it was a cold night?   You had been reving it/pushing it hard?  Adding to the fact that it's putting out 2 stroke "exhaust", but the extra smokiness of the exhuast could have been due to the vapour like steam or condensation adding to the exhuast smoke. Like when you breath out on a cold night?  Example:-  When a smoker exhales on a cold night it would be much thicker smoke than usual??

So, to check, try going for another blasty ride on a warmer night repeating the same things and see if the smoke will be as thicker.

Just before you start diving into thinking the engine is going cactus....

Hope that helps...

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 02-26-2011 04:33 PM In reply to

Im thinking broken oil ring, you need to see if its consitent, go for another ride.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 02-26-2011 05:11 PM In reply to

danceswithdingoes:

Im thinking broken oil ring, you need to see if its consitent, go for another ride.

Its a 2 stroke me thinks it will only have compression rings

• 02-26-2011 06:41 PM In reply to

2T? yep you're right, Ignore my last Stick out tongue

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au