Scooter
Community

Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

Last post 08-27-2015 03:16 PM by Brighton Belle. 76 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (77 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2011 08:13 PM

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

I'm looking at getting myself another scooter, its been years since I owned one (1987 to be precise) and I have a preference for the classics, I've previously owned a 58 GS and various vbb/super 150's.

I've been weighing up my options with about $5,000 to spend, and have seen lots of horror stories about vietnamese imports.

Are there any reputable restorers in Vietnam?  I read about some Aussies and some Americans running restoration projects over there.

Anyone got a comment on this, or should I just bite the bullet and buy an LML or PX when they become available. 

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 03-12-2011 08:55 PM In reply to

Re: Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

I haven't heard of any restores there that i would 100% recommend . http://scootrs.com/ probably the best one . You will get a new LML for less than $5000 otr now

• 03-13-2011 12:38 AM In reply to

Unless you're mechanically adept, with all the horror stories I wouldnt take a risk. Have a look on ebay theres always ones for sale in Australia, usually a twin seat VBB, unregistered with low mileage. Presumably people have imported them and now cant get them registered without spending truckloads and want to cut their losses.  By buying a new LML or PX You can see it feel it and touch it, plus you've got a warranty that actually means something.

Gavin
  • 03-13-2011 08:00 AM In reply to

I bought one in nearly six months ago, the restorers were Planet Vespa, run by an Aussie bloke, they were good to deal with and as far as the bike goes, I got mine registered no problems, I have had a host of small things go wrong and I've found some dodgy stuff, old and worn out stuff, the wrong bits, in saying that I spent a bit on a new exhaust and the right parts and it goes really well.

I know of a guy that has just bought one in too, not sure who did it, but he can't ride 5kms without seizing and is trying everything to find out whats wrong. You will always hear the bad stories, there are plenty of them, and most people I know with imported bikes they are happy with have pretty much replaced everything anyway.

Would I do it again?, probably not, but I went in with my eyes open, took a gamble knowing the possibilities.

I agree with the other posters, go a new scoot.

2006 GT200
    1971 Sprint Veloce
    Best of both worlds.
    http://71sprintveloce.blogspot.com/
  • 03-13-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Thanks for the feedback, I think that confirms my research.

Plans at this stage are probably an LML, and if I feel rich and adventourous in the future an import to "play with" as it will probably need work.

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 03-13-2011 01:30 PM In reply to

ska_let:

Thanks for the feedback, I think that confirms my research.

Plans at this stage are probably an LML, and if I feel rich and adventourous in the future an import to "play with" as it will probably need work.

Hi Ska Let

I purchased my Lambretta from Plant Vespa in Vietnam on the basis is was an Aussie owned and run set up 3 years ago and got myself a whole lot of mess.....I had to replace the engine/electronics/carbi/exhaust, new brakes & cables,new tyrers and on and on...spent over $12K in the end...when I first got the Lambretta it failed after 20kms riding and when I tried to address the issue's with Plant Vespa,the response was hopeless...so again, buyer beware.

I toyed with the LML replacement or even a PX to stay with the classic scooter(geared model) but opted for a Vespa GT200...You can get new LML for $3900 + ORC at the moment and a good used PX around $4000 to $4500......I picked up my 2007 Vespa GT200 @ $4500.

I hope you find the right one for you

cheers Mike

• 03-14-2011 09:28 AM In reply to

• bloodnut
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-23-2010
    • Wollongong
    • Posts 24

Hi Clare,

I got mine from Planet Vespa too - but several years ago when he was starting out. (mine is the orange sprint you saw in Kangaroo Valley yesterday)

Sure some things are done using non-genuine parts, so maybe I got lucky. If you think about it, the less good scooters there are left in Vietnam to use a a basis for restoration, the more you are going to see crap jobs made with bits and pieces. So maybe the market will dry up, especially with all the negative feedback and bad news stories. And probably soon!

Having said that, you still can't restore a vespa in Australia for anything like the money - unless you are a panel beater and a machanic and a painter and an importer of parts.

Maybe an LML is the go - that one of Jason's goes great and he has only spent a couple of hundred on the mods.

Or a second hand PX like Mike said. With the new ones coming out you may find the prices on PX200 drop... but don't hold your breath!

Good to meet you yesterday, and that crazy friend of yours with THE BOOTS.

Scott

• 03-15-2011 04:24 AM In reply to

Go for an LML. You won't regret it.

I'll even get around to reviewing mine at some point ;)

• 03-17-2011 08:58 PM In reply to

My mate in Melbourne bought a 150 super from Vietnam. I believe it owes him about $12,000 now.

He ended up replacing the engine with a PX's. He's keen to sell it for about $5000 I think.

Why on earth would you take the chance on one fresh from Vietnam that hasn't had the bugs worked out by a hapless Aussie buyer instead?

You could always buy my white Vespa PX 200 08 with 3300 kms on the clock for a measely $4500.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don't worry the sheepskin seat cover doesn't come with it.

"Vespista" is not actually Italian slang for a drunken Vespa rider.
  • 04-03-2011 12:45 PM In reply to

One of my friends is Pat Joynt from Saigon Scooter Centre. He says that all the good ones, particularly with Lambrettas, are gone now. What's left is the rubbish. As much as Pat tries to guarantee his work, even he has been caught out. You see, a business may be run by a European/Australian/American but the work is done by a Viet and whilst some of them are good, some will cut corners. I know of one machine in Sydney that Pat supplied that he ended up sacking staff over.

From Vietnam, I really only know of 2 companies really run by foreigners. SSC and ScootRS. The rest are just front pages, such as lambrettas.com.au - heard VERY bad reports about their stuff.

Essentially, the only way to get a guaranteed good old scoot is to:

1) Buy one from someone you trust and know is a good mechanic

2) Buy one from someone who bought one from a trusted and good mechanic

3) Buy a barn find, and give it to a trusted and good mechanic

4) Do it yourself, if you trust yourself to be a good mechanic

Remember, you are often dealing with 40 to 50 year old machines. To expect them to be as reliable as a modern P series, unless you've had a complete rebuild, is naive at best. It took Piaggio 30 years to get the P series as reliable as it is today, and that's on top of the 30 years of previous experience they already had.

Siobhan Ellis
    Vespa!
    Keeping the riff-raff off Lambrettas since 1947.
  • 04-04-2011 11:29 AM In reply to

siobhanellis:

1) Buy one from someone you trust and know is a good mechanic

2) Buy one from someone who bought one from a trusted and good mechanic

3) Buy a barn find, and give it to a trusted and good mechanic

4) Do it yourself, if you trust yourself to be a good mechanic

5) Join a local Club and get advice.

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 04-07-2011 01:26 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

ska_let:

I'm looking at getting myself another scooter, its been years since I owned one (1987 to be precise) and I have a preference for the classics, I've previously owned a 58 GS and various vbb/super 150's.

I've been weighing up my options with about $5,000 to spend, and have seen lots of horror stories about vietnamese imports.

Are there any reputable restorers in Vietnam?  I read about some Aussies and some Americans running restoration projects over there.

Anyone got a comment on this, or should I just bite the bullet and buy an LML or PX when they become available. 

www.scooteritalia.com  are very good , i bought mine through them & had absolutely no problems , but if you want to keep it as simple as possible then go for an LML or a good second hand late model PX200e

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 04-02-2012 01:44 PM In reply to

pyrah:
     I haven't heard of any restores there that i would 100% recommend . scootrs.com probably the best one .

I know I'm picking up on an old thread, but scootrs is widely regarded as the shop to avoid. Sorry, Pyrah - but read anything on him on US scooter sites and you'll see what I mean.  That guy is a total nightmare.

I would heartily reinforce Siobahn's recommendation of Pat Joynt's Saigon Scooter Centre.  My riding mate has a restored (in effect, re-manufactured) Lammie from them and the work is beyond reproach.  Plus there is a strong connection in Sydney

From my reading and remarks fro riders in Vietnam, the main problem with Vietnemese scoots seem to be that disreputable US (and maybe Aussie) operators import "restorations" that are not done to western expectations, and then on-sell them to patsies as though they are perfect.  In Vietnam, scoots are kept going by any means possible and with considerable ingenuity.  Labour is cheap, so replacing a short-lived repair isn't the problem it would be with Aussie workshop costs.  But these machines don't go fast or far by our standards so a they don't need to be finished as we'd expect ... So the issue is not with vietnam, it's with unscrupulous re-sellers.

The Siagon Scooter Centre scoots are far too expensive for local sale - they use the labour cost advantage to turn out a western-class resto at cheaper prices than if it were done here. 

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 04-02-2012 02:51 PM In reply to

Caroanbill:

pyrah:
     I haven't heard of any restores there that i would 100% recommend . scootrs.com probably the best one .

I know I'm picking up on an old thread, but scootrs is widely regarded as the shop to avoid. Sorry, Pyrah - but read anything on him on US scooter sites and you'll see what I mean.  That guy is a total nightmare.

I would heartily reinforce Siobahn's recommendation of Pat Joynt's Saigon Scooter Centre.  My riding mate has a restored (in effect, re-manufactured) Lammie from them and the work is beyond reproach.  Plus there is a strong connection in Sydney

From my reading and remarks fro riders in Vietnam, the main problem with Vietnemese scoots seem to be that disreputable US (and maybe Aussie) operators import "restorations" that are not done to western expectations, and then on-sell them to patsies as though they are perfect.  In Vietnam, scoots are kept going by any means possible and with considerable ingenuity.  Labour is cheap, so replacing a short-lived repair isn't the problem it would be with Aussie workshop costs.  But these machines don't go fast or far by our standards so a they don't need to be finished as we'd expect ... So the issue is not with vietnam, it's with unscrupulous re-sellers.

The Siagon Scooter Centre scoots are far too expensive for local sale - they use the labour cost advantage to turn out a western-class resto at cheaper prices than if it were done here. 

What he said !

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 04-02-2012 03:02 PM In reply to

Big Smile Don't be sorry Sad Good to know Yes

Page 1 of 6 (77 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au