Scooter
Community

Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

Last post 08-27-2015 03:16 PM by Brighton Belle. 76 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (77 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2012 07:16 PM In reply to

Re: Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

Elwood in Melbourne

• 05-16-2012 07:12 PM In reply to

(Was in the wrong thread, sorry.)

Hi Rob.

We have 3 Scooters 1 Vespa 50S, 1Vespa PX 200, and a Lambretta LIS 150 that was fully restored and purhased from ScootRS. The Lambretta is Spot On we have only had some minor easy fixable problems.

(1) Shipping the clutch handle was broke. ScootRS sent a new 1 free of charge no problem.

(2) Clutch and Gear Cables needed to be reset now all fine no problem.

(3) Fast fuel tap had to be fitted but that was our choice now no problem.

(4) The Carberetor and Air Filter are not the original Lambretta set up the Air Filter tends to keep coming loose all you have to do is fit a better hose clamp or leave it off Scooter runs ok with it off anyway.

Overall the Restoration, Quality Workmanship, and Service we have experienced from ScootRS has been nothing but good. We have parked in our Garage next to our Lammbretta a original Lambretta TV 200 restored in Australia and the quality is no way as good as ScooRs all though it is a lovely looking Scooter that 1 belongs to Our Daughters Boyfriend who we call a Plastic Mod as he is trying to relive the 60s a great lad and we wined him up all the time. He even said to me he wouldnt mind getting a Scooter from ScootRS.  We have also bought a lot of  gear for our Vespa PX from ScootRS Chrome Side Panels, Spot Lights, and a Moderated Black and White Seat. We originally bought a Black and White Seat Cover but we had problems getting it to fit. So I would allways recomend if you are thinking about changing your Seat go for the full Seat.

My Wife Sandra and I are original Old 60s Mods from the UK and now live in Australia. Our first Scooter was a Lambretta Series 1 I paid 5 Quid for it our 2nd Scooter was a Lambretta Series 2 in them days we could never afford a Lambretta Series 3 but in them days most of us Mods where riding around on Lammbretta Series 1 and 2 and Vespa 125s fully Moderated up and then our last Scooter in the UK was a Vespa 125 by this time the 60s Mods where starting to fase out but now the Mod revivale seems to be coming back big time. Happy Scootering.  

Jim and San a couple of Old 60s Mods.

• 05-17-2012 04:41 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2012
    • Lincolnshire UK
    • Posts 74

Hi Jim and San, it appears that ScootRS are getting some good feedback regarding their workmanship. Which is good to hear as it offers credibity that there are good SE Asian restorers out there, and if they do get it wrong are willing to back up there words with action. Greg at Planet Vespa has been like that with me. Great communication and good workmanship. I have actually decided to go for a 2nd scoot, a daily runabout, it doesnt feel so much like an unknown quantity now that I know Planet Vespa arent going to send me a lemon or box of bits.

Loved the bit about plastic mod, my Dad calls me that all the time. He says I try really hard, but trying shouldnt come into it, being a mod comes naturally !!!!!!!!!!! Also he keeps calling my 150 Super a Sportique on 10 inch wheels. Just cos he has a GS and thinks its the bollocks. He is a wind up all the time.

It seems to be crazy here for vintage scoots at the moment, I think with the price of fuel, no tax on vintage scoots and just how good they look, its a viable alternative to the 2nd car.

Loved your story Jim and San, hope to speak to you soon - and thanks for the positive feedback on your Asian experience, as with mine, Planet Vespa did a great job and I couldnt fault them.

Cheers Rob

• 06-01-2012 10:02 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to this question.  I am 18 months later still trying to save for a scooter, but as they say life is something that happens when you are planning something else.

I am hoping that at some point in the next 6 - 12 months I will be able to afford a scooter of my one.

I am a "mature" 80's skin so only a vintage vespa will do for me.  The all metal 2 stroke manuals are the only thing I can imagine riding again, but I fully respect the decision of any rider to choose any make and model that suits them.

I'm still considering a vietnamese import, but the LML may win.

I'll keep you all posted, because when I do finally buy something, I will be shouting it from the rooftops.

enjoy yourself its later than you think
  • 06-01-2012 10:13 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

should be something pop up in the local club eh

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 06-01-2012 10:17 PM In reply to

ska_let:

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to this question.  I am 18 months later still trying to save for a scooter, but as they say life is something that happens when you are planning something else.

I am hoping that at some point in the next 6 - 12 months I will be able to afford a scooter of my one.

I am a "mature" 80's skin so only a vintage vespa will do for me.  The all metal 2 stroke manuals are the only thing I can imagine riding again, but I fully respect the decision of any rider to choose any make and model that suits them.

I'm still considering a vietnamese import, but the LML may win.

I'll keep you all posted, because when I do finally buy something, I will be shouting it from the rooftops.

Have gone off LML Australia as they cant be bothered to reply to enquirers Sad

• 06-02-2012 02:30 PM In reply to

My Vietnamese Import lands by ship tomorrow in Melbourne. I have gone into this with both eyes WIDE open and having received heaps of good tips and pointers from many Vespa enthusiasts, particularly Brett who has written extensively on the subject. I think I know just what to expect and will share pics and experience as soon as it is home.

Sid

• 06-03-2012 02:13 AM In reply to

Hope it all goes smoothly sdhog. Yours is a PV bike isn't it?

• 06-03-2012 10:20 AM In reply to

SGN Scott:

Hope it all goes smoothly sdhog. Yours is a PV bike isn't it?

Thanks, SGN Scott,

Yes, it is indeed a Planet Vespa scoot.

• 06-14-2012 09:15 PM In reply to

My scoot is home. Big Smile

Have only had a brief chance to look her over, but pretty happy thusfar. Can't wait for the weekend.

Sid

• 06-17-2012 01:51 AM In reply to

Lovely colour. Looks really nice. I think you had a lot of input into how that went together. I can tell because the lack of bling! 

One thing to keep an eye on is the paint under the seats. They usually use a silver spray paint which looks nice but rusts quickly. If you ever want the 2 pop stud original look seat I know where you can get one reasonably! Wink

Break it in nicely. Have a look what you've got in the carb as these can sometimes be a mismatch. Especially if it's a new SPACO.

Keep us updated and enjoy.

• 06-18-2012 08:10 PM In reply to

Good to hear from you again, SGN Scott,

Thanks for the advice.

The scooter does have a new Spaco 20/20 carb - are you saying I should check what jets are fitted? I do know the scooter fired up very well and has had me up and down my street and to the post-office without any problems at all. I am a little cautious in venturing too far from home at present. Brakes are excellent (new shoes) and all the electrics work as intended (is a 12V upgrade). Tyres and wheels are brand new, as are shocks, so I feel safe riding. You might have seen some pictures I posted on the MV forum, and the body work, as delivered, certainly gives me confidence in what I  saw during the rebuild is what I've received.

Intend to run it in carefully - am using 4% mixture at present, so there is a fair amount of smoke. Have a new barrel (LML) and piston, so will go gently for the first 500k's or so. Am carrying a spare plug with me 'cos I wouldn't be surprised if the plug clogs up.

Once the rain passes, I will take more pictures

Sid

• 06-18-2012 08:58 PM In reply to

• Rob
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2012
    • Lincolnshire UK
    • Posts 74

Sid, good idea about the spark plug, I changed out my PV Scoot at 498 KMs as it was having a terrible time starting (having an increase on the oil to petrol ratio). Now its all run in and running well, its a dream.

Rob

• 06-21-2012 04:50 AM In reply to

Hi, who told you to use 4% oil mix? Normal break in procedure is 2% in your case and not to use a fully synthetic oil until after 500km's or so. There has been plenty written about this so I won't regurgitate. You'll coke up your head, foul your plug and run a greater risk of soft seizing. 

Regarding the jets. Just have a look when you get a moment. Ive seen them come with 88 main jets. You need a 98 really. You may have it already but best to check. Only takes 4 screws and then remove the main jet stack.

Cheers.

• 07-01-2012 10:31 AM In reply to

Sorry it's been so long. Bad weather and work have conspired to keep me otherwise occupied.

Checked my jet - it has a 92. It has been running well, but I bought a new 98 yesterday and will put it in before I run my scooter again. Have a roadworthy - the most difficult part was reading the original, unaltered frame number. Once I gave them the number, it was clear that it was correct. I noticed my front end was tight when turning the handlebars to the right, with an associated creak. Yesterday took the headset off and found that the bearings were overtightened - as soon as I took the top lock collar off, the creak and tightness disappeared. It seems as if the locking plate between the bearing top cap and the locking collar does not completely stop the bearing being tightened that last little bit extra when the top collar is tightened up tight. Took the opportunity to drop the forks and the fork itself is in excellent condition for its age. Replaced the front brake outer cable as it was cracked and (just 'cos I'm obsessive) I put new inner front brake and clutch cables in. I am most impressed with the body of this 48 year old scooter. The tinwork really is in excellent condition. It is quite amazing how well these little marvels can last, despite the stories of how they are abused. I'd suggest mine wasn't that abused!

Scott, Greg from Planet Vespa suggested the 4% initial mix. Given the fact that a higher mix leans out the fuel, I agree with comments that one needs to be careful with this as the engine will run hotter. That is compounded by the lean jet that was in the carb, but be aware that in Melbourne it has been in the low teens temperature-wise -  that does compensate a little.

Sid

Page 4 of 6 (77 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au