Scooter
Community

Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

Last post 08-27-2015 03:16 PM by Brighton Belle. 76 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (77 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2012 05:17 PM In reply to

• Aly H
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-28-2011
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 39

Re: Is there such a beast as a reputable vietnamese import

All this talk about Vietnamese imports has got me thinking...

Would it not be safer to buy an unrestored Vespa that's currently registered and running in Vietnam, still used for hauling milk crates or boxes or whatever? It seems that all the dodgy work happens while the scooters are being "restored", what with making one frame out of several and all - which makes me think that the base scoots are the ones that are too damaged to be still working in one piece.

Could one not find a worn out and rusty but mostly original, unmolested and running Vespa to import?

• 10-12-2012 10:42 PM In reply to

Probably not. The way I understood the scene in S.E.Asia, the bodges are during the forty plus years of hard abuse, and the covering up is in the 'flogging it off to the western world' phase of the development.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 10-23-2012 02:21 PM In reply to

Aly H:

Would it not be safer to buy an unrestored Vespa that's currently registered and running in Vietnam, still used for hauling milk crates or boxes or whatever? It seems that all the dodgy work happens while the scooters are being "restored", what with making one frame out of several and all - which makes me think that the base scoots are the ones that are too damaged to be still working in one piece.

Could one not find a worn out and rusty but mostly original, unmolested and running Vespa to import?

Buy one localy from a reputable dealer or seller and join a club for local knowledge.

http://scoot.net/faq/Asian_Restorations

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 10-23-2012 02:23 PM In reply to

wombat:

Probably not. The way I understood the scene in S.E.Asia, the bodges are during the forty plus years of hard abuse, and the covering up is in the 'flogging it off to the western world' phase of the development.

Fair point\s also consider they have different standards from ours.Ever seen the wiring in their streets?

• 10-23-2012 02:29 PM In reply to

Basically at the end of the day you get what you pay for ,spend $50 bucks get a $50 scooter.There is no magical cheap safe Asian import in my humble opinion. And i make that statement for many reasons...one of which ,yes only one of which is, if it is an Asian import many many Australian workshops will not touch it with a barge pole no matter how good a restoration it is.Then what do you do?? Think about it............

Also,I have personally seen people knowingly  buy cheap Vietnamese Lambrettas then soo it when they have issues.

• 10-25-2012 02:28 PM In reply to

Aly H:

Would it not be safer to buy an unrestored Vespa that's currently registered and running in Vietnam, still used for hauling milk crates or boxes or whatever? 

Check this out http://www.cargosupport.gov.au/site/documents/ImportingaVehicleFactSheet_Nov09_Final.pdf

Also............

http://www.tauruslogistics.com.au/motorcycle-shipping/australia

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 10-25-2012 02:44 PM In reply to

• Old Mod
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-15-2010
    • Legana, Tasmania
    • Posts 7

There is a hard to find website that I got my Lambretta from (collectionsvintage.com). I was wrapped at the quality of their work.

If you look at their site they do have Vespas as well and a gallery of happy customers in Australia, I am one of them on the maroon Lambretta.

Hope this helps.

Filed under: , ,
  • 10-25-2012 02:58 PM In reply to

Old Mod:

There is a hard to find website that I got my Lambretta from (collectionsvintage.com). I was wrapped at the quality of their work.

If you look at their site they do have Vespas as well and a gallery of happy customers in Australia, I am one of them on the maroon Lambretta.

Hope this helps.

Which scooter is yours ? please post some pictures up ? Where are you ?

Cheers Nick.

• 10-27-2012 11:01 PM In reply to

I only looked at the VLB's but those are $1500 restorations here. Exactly the same. Actually, probably better because they wouldn't use a PX centre mat on a non PX bike.

They are selling them for $4300. That's just eye popping for an incorrect restoration. 

• 10-27-2012 11:19 PM In reply to

Hi,

That's not really the way it works here. Nobody is using them for business in terms of lugging stuff around. They do that in Thailand. The ones on the road here are ridden by enthusiasts and a cheap VLB will sell for $800 in the private Vietnamese ads, a nice VBB will sell for close to $2000. These are still scooters that have been ridden every year of their life mostly and are still going strong.

I've yet to see a Vespa or Lambretta fold in half here. I've yet to see the shops weld two bikes together. Why would they do that when they make replacement floor pans, legshields, cowels etc right here? I'm not saying that VN restorations are good because some are done by expats with no idea about scooters with $$$ in their eyes. They don't do the work themselves, they just take your money, order the bike from a local shop on Ly Thai To street who sells it to them at $1400-$1500, they then flip it for 4k plus shipping. 

You should only ever buy from two places here IMO. ScootRS and SSC. That's it. Why? Because they have been around a long time, want to be around longer and therefore actually care about their reputation. Others will sell absolute crap, whip up some bad press, change their name and start selling again. Repeat ad infinitum. You can get an excellent restoration here for $4k (vespa) or $6k (lambretta). Just choose wisely who you pay to do it. Or fly over here on holiday, go to Ly Thai To and buy a questionable bike for $1500, ride it around for a week and pay $300 to ship it back. That would be the same bike other places are selling you for $3000 more on the net.

• 03-15-2013 11:50 PM In reply to

Hi,

As far as I know the best guy in Australia is Dave Mackay, he owns Vesp2 www.vespa2.com

He also builds Exile bikes and has some really cool scooters for sale, I looked on his site and he is now doing Lambretta and also has a GS160 for sale, Yes I would love it but I hate to think how much he wants.

• 07-24-2013 12:45 PM In reply to

SGN Scott:
    I've yet to see a Vespa or Lambretta fold in half here. I've yet to see the shops weld two bikes together. Why would they do that when they make replacement floor pans, legshields, cowels etc right here?

I most certainly have seen this happen and why would they do that? To save the restorers outlay.

Many of These restorers  are trying to make a quick buck and that is all. They do not have the same standards as Australian scooter shops.Hence the price differance.

Ive said it before all that glitters is not Gold.

• 04-12-2015 06:01 PM In reply to

• earpbru
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-21-2012
    • Aussie
    • Posts 7

Yes there are reputable restores in Vetnam, I really can't understand why people are putting down reputable companys as for Planet VESPA. Several years ago  I brought a 1967 vbc vespa from planet Vespa. The customer relationship I Have had with planet Vespa has been second to none, they guided me step by step through the intire importation procedure of my bike into Australia. My bike was perfectly crated for the shipment to Australia. This was my third Vespa since I was a old enough to ride. After uncrating I kick started it, started second kick,it purred a little different to what I was use to, but with new sports muffler they use was a fantastic new sound. Now back on track, I've had no major dramers with my Vespa I must admit a few teething problems like with cables. But to some up, I enjoy riding my Vespa, and it runs on the smell of an oily rag. Don't believe the negitive remarks of some of these blogs, talk to the supplier. Thank you Planet Vespa for your kind support. 

B Wyatt
  • 04-12-2015 07:58 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Most Vietnamese need reliable transport and buy new Hondas or clones of Hondas.

They get good life out of these new bikes because they don't work them hard and don't do much mileage.

I won't comment on Vespas from Vietnam but I can advise on motorbikes in Vietnam.

My experience is as a tourist over the last five years watching gullable backpackers buy secondhand bikes and try to tour Vietnam.

There is a second hand market in Vietnam rebuilding small motorbikes for tourists (no local would buy these pieces of junk). The dumb tourists who clearly have no motorcycle experience then zoom around like there is no tomorrow until the bikes break down which has probably saved many young lives.

Having witnessed what they sell to tourists, I would never consider buying anything secondhand from that market.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-12-2015 09:59 PM In reply to

Was a good market for russian 2 strokes (Minsk) once upon a time and they were poor relations to the mighty MZ 

Devil This picture proves Kiwis can't fly or at least not very fast Stick out tongue

Page 5 of 6 (77 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au