Scooter
Community

Scooters - illusion of choice?

Last post 05-18-2011 06:08 PM by pyrah. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2011 10:53 AM

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

Scooters - illusion of choice?

Hello,

New to forum and confess to being very ignorant of scooter issues. I've come to this because my friend is about to get her Ls and is interested in getting a scooter after that.

My obseravatiosn are biased from the point of view of a "regular" bike rider.

I recently got rid of a BMW 650 and bought a two stroke 224cc. That engine size is important because it gets me CTP at less than 1/2 the price of the BMW (or any other bike over 225cc). I assumed there would be a good selection of scooters around 220cc to take advantage of that cutoff, as there is with low-cost regular bikes, but I'm astonished there is not. Can't find a single one, actually. And the models sold as "200" are actually about 170cc, as far as I can see. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Interested to read the post about servicing costs being excessive for some scooters. That was a big factor in ditching the BMW - how about $700 for a 10k service? Could do it myslef, if I bought the tools, but I bought a bike to ride, not to waste time getting grease under my fingernails. Used to enjoy that sort of thing, hate it now. And the BMW was stupidly hard to work on, even for really "simple" stuff like changing a plug.

My friend has no mechanical knowledge nor interest so she won't be doing her own servicing. She only wants the auto transmisison on a scooter, otherwise I'd suggest she gets a regular 225cc bike.

I think anything less than 5k minor service interval is comical and can't understand why any manufacturer would try to sell such an impractical bike, except for high performance off-road machines that only carry tiny amounts of oil. So this makes me wonder: is there any scooter that really fits the bill for realistic servicing costs and intervals, and makes sense from a CTP point of view? My friend's proposed usage would suggest a 250cc machine - 125 is out of the question.

cheers

Colin

• 05-04-2011 11:32 AM In reply to

• Magnii
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-18-2011
    • Canberra
    • Posts 77

Re: Scooters - illusion of choice?

Not an expert at all, but my understanding is that the Piaggio, Vespa, and Aprilia scooters all have decent long service intervals.

I have a Piaggio Liberty 125 (2002 model) and the scooter mechanic I use in Canberra does his thing every 5K for me and doesnt charge me very much. I take the oil and costs under $100

• 05-04-2011 11:49 AM In reply to

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

Well that sounds promising - thanks for the tip. $100 + oil every 5k is very reasonable.

• 05-04-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

colind:
    I assumed there would be a good selection of scooters around 220cc to take advantage of that cutoff

That's because the CTP thing only affects NSW.

I have an Aprilia Sportcity - also serviced every 5k. The 200cc is a MARVELLOUS machine!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 05-04-2011 12:36 PM In reply to

Jax:

colind:
    I assumed there would be a good selection of scooters around 220cc to take advantage of that cutoff

That's because the CTP thing only affects NSW.

I have an Aprilia Sportcity - also serviced every 5k. The 200cc is a MARVELLOUS machine!

Yep & the Aprillia Scarabeo also a good scooter that punches above its weight what's the 224cc 2T bike you have

• 05-04-2011 12:53 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

very few vehicles (ie absolutely none) are made specifically for the odd registration rules of one state in Australia.

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 05-04-2011 01:17 PM In reply to

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

True enough about NSW having the 225cc cutoff for CTP, but there's probably other countries that have licensing or registration cutoff there too - hence the availability of 225cc bikes (often badged as 230). They all seem to be Japanese.

It's a competitive market out there ... you'd think one of the importers would be onto this.

But really I can't help wondering who was the genius that set the CTP limit there instead of 250cc, which has been the cutoff for "big" versus "small" forever. I think the smallest scooter with optinal ABS is 250cc, so the current NSW framework makes it harder for riders to choose the safer option. I don't know whose interest the regulators are serving - obviously not riders :(

Anyhow, looks like my friend has a few models to choose among Aprilia and Piaggio. She's got to get her Ls first though.

• 05-04-2011 01:44 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

Isn’t it all largely irrelevant anyway because of LAMS? I mean sure, the rego cost is there, but the bikes available for learners is pretty generous.

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 05-04-2011 01:49 PM In reply to

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

Ahh sorry pyrah, didn't answer your Q...my "new" bike is a Yamaha DT230, 2001 model which I bought 6 mnths ago with 650 km on the clock. After trying to ride a BMW Dakar in Borneo I realised the hard way 200 kg / 650cc/ electronic engine management is not the thing for adv riding. Never again.

I made a list of powerful, cheap, simple, lightweight dual purpose bikes with a wide range 6 speed gearbox and it had only one entry...DT230.

Pretty much the same top speed and acceleration as the Dakar. It's just a lot easier to fix on the side of the road, and will hopefully not mind the odd tank of contaminated fuel. Plus I can actually pick it up without removing the luggage, when I fall over on a muddy road somewhere.

Lost out badly on fuel economy and pollution in the swap, unfortunately. Not to mention ABS. But none of that counts for much when you are looking at an expensive pile of electronics on the side of a dirt road, trying to figure out why it won't start :(

Now if somebody would put that little 40hp engine into a scooter I could suddenly start liking scooters.

• 05-04-2011 03:14 PM In reply to

Good bike the DT230 Yes the cheaper rego bracket in SA is below 250 & most of the 250 range of scooters look like going up to 300cc class Sad

• 05-07-2011 10:56 PM In reply to

colind:
    I can't help wondering who was the genius that set the CTP limit there instead of 250cc, which has been the cutoff for "big" versus "small" forever.

I'd say they deliberately set it to bump the extremely popular 250cc bike demographic into the higher bracket and grab more cash.

Then: Daelim S1 125
    Now: Honda PCX 150
  • 05-08-2011 05:14 PM In reply to

I have a nice Scarabeo 200 for sale at below wholesale :) Its on scootersales.com.au

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 05-08-2011 06:47 PM In reply to

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

Nice try! But my friend hasn't even been to her Ls class yet!

• 05-08-2011 06:49 PM In reply to

• colind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-03-2011
    • Posts 9

Seems to be ... bikes have always been a good milking cow. What next? Maybe it's anything above 125cc? Or anything with an engine?

• 05-08-2011 09:05 PM In reply to

All states are different I think anything over 125cc in Tass pays full whack

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au