Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Repainting The Vespa

Last post 10-08-2011 08:21 PM by eviladrian. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2011 02:43 PM

Repainting The Vespa

I'm about to have a go at fixing up a scar on the Vespa's side that was the result of a gentle lay down a year ago. The Ace mechanic (he is too!) tried the touchup paint that came from Piaggio but it was too dark & I think made the area look worse.

So... any tips, suggestions or advice would be wonderful.

I have -

• Sandpaper for the initial sand back (how far back do I go?)
    • a spray can of primer (how many coats? how long do I leave it before applying another coat?)
    • sandpaper to smooth out the primer
    • a spray can of paint that was matched both by eye & a handheld scanner thingy the guy at the shop used (how many coats? how long do I leave it before applying another coat?)
    • a final sandpaper to smooth out the paint

The guy also mentioned another product that would shine up the paint if needed, but did suggest I wouldn't need it.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-28-2011 04:33 PM In reply to

Re: Repainting The Vespa

I don't think I'll give up my day job just yet to take up vehicle painting. I'm gonna sand it back again with the medium grade sandpaper & see if I can get those paint runs out. Also got to head back to the paint shop & pick up whatever the product was that would gloss it up a bit.

I'm not convinced I've made the panel look better than it was prior to my attempt at painting it. Smile

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-28-2011 04:52 PM In reply to

sand it gently with 1200 wet n dry until it flattens, then recoat and repeat, finally finish with 2-3 coats of clear acrylic with a light sand between each coat. Wait a week then buff and polish.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 05-30-2011 04:38 AM In reply to

Start by practicing on a piece of old panel or metal sheet before having a go on the Vespa  .Some googling should answer all the rubbing down preparation & spraying questions

• 06-01-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

can of satin black

then 12months later get a pro to do itWink

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 06-04-2011 01:42 PM In reply to

hank:
    then 12months later get a pro to do itWink

hehe

Ok, lessons learnt from this little exercise. If it looks anywhere NEAR ok at the first attempt be happy with it as it is or else a minor touchup job WILL turn into a major exercise. If you can't then give up & take it to a pro. I've given the m/c panel beater fair warning & will be taking the Vespa around for a quote to clean up the mess I've made of it as well as tidying up the floorwell as unfortunately the floormats don't protect the paint as I thought they would.

It was a worthy exercise & certainly worth having a go at. Although I may think diferently when I see the quote for the repaint! Big Smile

Wanda
  • 06-05-2011 04:38 PM In reply to

I had a low-side spill a couple of weeks ago, in which I also hit my shoulder hard enough for the doctor to ban me from riding for about 3 months, so I've decided to spend my down-time repairing the scratches.

I had a go with some cheap spraypaint and an old headlight cover I had lying around, but the results were less than spectacular:

Apparently this kind of cratered look is caused when you don't clean and dry the surface properly before spraying, so it looks like I'll need some more practice before I start on the real job.

First: Daelim S1 125
    Then: Honda PCX 150
    Now: Honda CTX 700
  • 06-05-2011 05:52 PM In reply to

Yep the main thing is preparation if thats not perfect even the worlds best sprayers job will look crap Smile

• 06-06-2011 04:28 PM In reply to

The paint jobs on here could be improved GREATLY simply by using a product that I have found to help tremendously with the Orange Peel effect of the paint... 

Mr Buff's Cutting Compound... 

here is a link

That stuff has worked miracles for me in fixing a really bad finish... if someone isn't happy with their painting effort I would give that a go before anything else... 

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 06-06-2011 10:38 PM In reply to

Will definitely have to give that a try. I have used Polyglaze cut & polish compound but would be ecstatic if the stuff you suggested gives a better result.

Hell, if I'm happy enough with it the floorwell will be next on my hitlist as the floormat really doesn't protect the paint as I thought it would.

Wanda
  • 06-07-2011 08:44 PM In reply to

What have you done to me Bunnybasher!?! I've gone from deciding to get this done professionally to thinking "well, if I bought myself a proper sander/buffering equipment (saw one for $40 at Repco), sanded it RIGHT back & started again...

All this from one pot of cutting compound! I couldn't find the one suggested so stuck with the turtlewax cut/polish that I bought the other day. Even that... It's nowhere near the gloss of the other panels but a vast improvement on where it was.

Now... do I buy the equipment, restock on primer, paint & gloss in order to have another go or do I just take it to the pros? It's no longer an easy choice! Indifferent

Wanda
  • 06-07-2011 10:23 PM In reply to

what you up to this week?  I am home all week, want me to have a look at it and a do some cut and polishing, i got the buffer and stuff all handy... if you want to come by south perth let me know and i will have a go at it...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 06-07-2011 10:25 PM In reply to

I have Friday off work. Could I possibly drop by in the morning for you to have a look at it please? I appreciate your offer of help. I would LOVE to be able to achieve a good look on this without having to take it to a pro, it would be so cool :)

Wanda
  • 06-07-2011 10:35 PM In reply to

can't promise results, but i can have a look and see what I can achieve!  pm or email me and i will give you my address - i think you have been by my place before to test out the Dr Pulleys and the pod filter before :)  anyways bring your sandpaper and your paint...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 06-07-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

LOL ok, I think I'll need to grab more of both if that's the case :) I suspect that's part of the problem, I've emptied almost a whole can of paint onto 2 of the scooter's panels. Big Smile

This means that if I do repaint the floorwell, I will do things VERY differently

Wanda
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au