Scooter
Community

What's Your Scootering Soundtrack?

Last post 01-30-2013 08:49 PM by DaelimMonkey. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2011 09:27 PM

What's Your Scootering Soundtrack?

After years of strongly resisting the urge to listen to music while riding I've recently given it a go. Today while on a group ride with friends old & new I realised that even having one earplug in the music can provide a good soundtrack for your riding.

So what's your pick?

Mine recently have been some of the following -

Friends - Bobby McFerrin

Bright Sunshiny Day - There has been numerous covers but I think this one by Jimmy Cliff is my fave

Beautiful Day (in Drought Stricken Perth) - U2

Breathe - Pink Floyd

As much as I resist & resent the inevitable connections with Mod culture I just can't help myself when it comes to My Generation - The Who

Until You Come Back To Me - Aretha Franklin (it's all in the rythm & music with this one)

You Are My Sunshine I found myself singing this one day on the ride home taking the long way round Embarrassed

Most People I Know Think I'm Crazy - Billy Thorpe (definitely this one given that most people I work with think I'm loopy for riding a scooter)

In The Summertime - Thirsty Merc is an obvious choice

and in honor of our newest member, VespaLove, down in Willagee Cool

Ticket To Ride - Beatles

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-05-2011 10:15 PM In reply to

Re: What's Your Scootering Soundtrack?

How did you find it affected your concentration / aural observations, Nutty? I'd be concerned it'd interfere with hearing surrounding traffic noises, which might just aid in the self-preservation thingy.

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 06-05-2011 11:28 PM In reply to

Lizziecro:
    How did you find it affected your concentration / aural observations, Nutty? I'd be concerned it'd interfere with hearing surrounding traffic noises, which might just aid in the self-preservation thingy.

That has been my concern in the past, and still in the present. Especially since being able to hear the diesel trady ute approach from behind in the filter lane & somehow just KNOWING he was going to use the filter lane to pull infront of me in the left hand lane at the lights/ Hearing him coming & anticipating his actions saved my skin, but if you keep the music to a certain level you can still hear your surroundings. it's a matter of achieving a balance.

The only time I found the music an issue was at traffic lights when one of the other riders tried to talk with me.  I pulled one of the plugs out & enjoyed the rest of the ride with only the left plug in. Fortunately the Nolan Flashback helmet provides some protection from wind noise due to the way it fits my head.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-06-2011 06:28 AM In reply to

Wink Born to be wild Stick out tongue

• 06-06-2011 11:33 AM In reply to

I'm still listening to my internal monologue at this stage "Ohdearwhat'shedoingthereescaperoutesareherehereandhere" but Mrs. Wombat has taken to the headphones quite early on.

Later, the soundtrack will definitely be the Who, and quite a lot of unobtrusive stuff - maybe some comedy monologues - Bill Cosby 200 MPH springs to mind. I think I need something though - wind noise does get a bit boring.

It's all about balance, though, if you can't hear background noise, then the music's too loud and that's dangerous. On the scoot, I'm listening as well as looking for other cars, mainly because I'm still getting used to the restricted peripheral vision from a full-face helmet.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-30-2011 11:09 PM In reply to

Inside my head I have a constant soundtrack. It varies depending on the day and the mood, but these are regulars (in some cases, there's more than one from each artist, but I've only listed one for each):

The Clash, "Train in Vain"

Prince Buster, "Rough Rider"

Evil Conduct, "Skinhead til I die"

C*ck Sparrer, "Running Riot" (bloody filters)

Judge Dread, "Rudeness Train"

Ian Dury and the Blockheads, "Sex and Druga and Rock'n'Roll"

Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, "I Wanna Be Love By You"

Anti-Nowhere League, "F*cked Up and Wasted"

Ramones, "Blitzkrieg Bop"

You get the idea - punk, ska, oi!. But it can - and does - vary far more widely than just this. It depends on the mood, the weather and the riding conditions. But it plays non-stop inside my head.

I think I must make for quite a sight at traffic lights, especially with my left foot tapping away.

• 06-30-2011 11:19 PM In reply to

hehe oh & I thought I was the only one! Not really the music, although I like some of those, but the music in your head, toe tapping (or swaying the scooter side to side, bobbing the head etc). Like you it depends on my mood, weather etc.

I think I prefer listening to the music in my mp3 player though. Big Smile

I've recently discovered I can use my simple Nokia C5 pnone for listening to music (with earphones), with an addition of a 32Gb microSD card, AND with a data pack added to my mobile account I can use it as a GPS using the Nokia's maps program. It's a nifty little thing!

Wanda
  • 06-30-2011 11:24 PM In reply to

Oh no, you aren't the only one. I try not to sway the scooter, as I don't want to fall over at the lights ;)

I don't like riding with the distraction of music playing, as it's bad enough inside my head.

I'm still working out how I'm going to use my phone as a GPS, given that I don't have anywhere to mount it currently (but a bar between the mirrors would cut it - at least, until I forgot to take my phone with me...).

And my music is certainly an acquired taste, but it generally makes for good riding - a good beat and catchy, IMO. But it's not for everybody ;)

• 06-30-2011 11:31 PM In reply to

captainpotato:
    Oh no, you aren't the only one. I try not to sway the scooter, as I don't want to fall over at the lights ;)

haha yes, I've experienced an almost topple as a stray gust of wind has caught me on the sway.

captainpotato:
    I'm still working out how I'm going to use my phone as a GPS, given that I don't have anywhere to mount it currently (but a bar between the mirrors would cut it - at least, until I forgot to take my phone with me...).

I've found that my mobile's GPS works well enough stuck in my pocket, unlike the car GPS which has to be mounted on the windscreen. I'm just waiting on a set of noise reduction earplugs that work with the phone to arrive as the earbuds hurt like crazy after a while, especially when putting your helmet on & taking it off. Not sure how's it going to go answering the phone while riding using the earphones & mic. Time will tell Big Smile

oh I love The Clash, they get a spin on my CD player regularly.

Wanda
  • 07-01-2011 12:37 AM In reply to

Wink Think i read all those New English Library books in the 70s that are in the Evil Conduct film clip Stick out tongue

• 07-01-2011 02:54 PM In reply to

Speaking of listening to music, this is probably the stupidest idea ever, but...

I think it'd be pretty cool to actually install some wireless earphones (if they exist?) into the helmet itself.

Your iPod nano or similar would be mounted inside the front panel of the scooter, and connected to the battery.

Buttons would be integrated into the other general controls around the handlebars - a Play/Stop button, and a Volume knob: push and hold forward or back to increase/decrease the volume, press without holding to mute (safety - just in case you accidentally turn it up too loud, it is easy to mute with one press). An on/off button near the key that charges the iPod or stops it from charging.

A small plug can be pulled out from the back of the helmet. Near the helmet hook on your scooter there is a plug-hole connected to the battery - this is for charging up the wireless earphones.

Of course your iPod comes with Bluetooth for giving it new songs (does that work?) without having to take off the front panel.

• 07-01-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

I'll have to give that a shot, Scooternut. I haven't got around to working out how well the navigation works on my phone yet, let alone how well it works with it in a pocket. I don't even know if it can talk at me ;)

As for the Clash, it's the only band that doesn't come off of my mp3 player.

• 07-01-2011 10:50 PM In reply to

pyrah:
    Think i read all those New English Library books in the 70s that are in the Evil Conduct film clip

I've never seen them, pyrah (but know well of them). They go for quite a bit now, so if you've got them still, you could make a tidy sum on eBay ;)

• 07-02-2011 12:14 AM In reply to

captainpotato:

pyrah:
    Think i read all those New English Library books in the 70s that are in the Evil Conduct film clip

I've never seen them, pyrah (but know well of them). They go for quite a bit now, so if you've got them still, you could make a tidy sum on eBay ;)

Unfortunately no Sad that seams to be the story of my life Big Smile

• 07-02-2011 07:19 PM In reply to

• ska_let
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2011
    • Nowra, NSW
    • Posts 92

Captain, I don't think your music choice is an aquired taste, its sounds like a track list from my vinyl collection

enjoy yourself its later than you think
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au