Scooter
Community

Failed to get my learners license

Last post 09-27-2013 09:35 PM by Quantumcat. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2012 02:17 PM

Failed to get my learners license

I purchased a second hand scooter last week sort of on the spur of the moment although I had been looking to get one for a while.

So I go to get my motorcycle learners license (NSW) and day 1 of it was alright, although I failed day 2 of the course, although personally I didn't think I was that bad. I only stalled it 4 or 5 times, although apparently I couldn't do the emergency braking manouvre smooth enough hence why I failed. So I failed to obtain my learners license to ride my scooter legally.

At the course half of the people taking it (including myself) failed as we "need more experience and practice" in the words of the instructor which is ironic given that is what the learner license is supposed to allow you to do legally.

So unless you practice riding illegally (note; I don't want to do this as I don't want to lose my car license if caught) or keep repeating the 2 day course until you eventually pass it, you cannot get more experience/practice Hmm

Not a good start to scootering. Sad

• 06-03-2012 06:13 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Failed to get my learners license

Take a deep breath.... and take another crack at it.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-03-2012 07:56 PM In reply to

Sad Bugger anywhere on private land you can practice your control skills

• 06-03-2012 11:12 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 260

It took me three attempts to pass. The first go was on a regular motorbike, as a scooter wasn't the plan at the time-- and it was a fair call due to inexperience. (The course instructors always mention in the introduction "it's designed for people who've never been on a bike before!"... yet the only guys I've seen pass the first time were long-time trailbike riders..)

The second attempt had the misfortune of getting an instructor who was a Psychopath. She actually made all the weak riders stand out in front and abused us, and then got the rest of the class to join in. Needless to say, she wasn't big on the training thing. (The instructor mentioned being an ex-Cop...) I had also booked in to ride at scooter for this attempt-- but 'my' bike had been given to a pre-P class has a hire.

The third attempt, again booked for a scooter, again got jerked around by the RTA-approved training facility and made to ride a Hyosung motorbike. I managed to pass, poor clutch control non-withstanding --the instructor accepted that I was tending to go scooter, so didn't count it again me.

• 06-04-2012 11:43 AM In reply to

petegailey:

Take a deep breath.... and take another crack at it.

Thanks. I have booked in again for this weekend and will give it another go. If I fail again I will drive to one of the RTAs outside of Sydney that are outside of the 100km rider testing centre (meaning you don't need to pass the practical part to get your license) and just do the theory test there (I confirmed with the RTA that this was acceptable).

pyrah:

Sad Bugger anywhere on private land you can practice your control skills

No. I have a scooter although I live next to a reasonably busy road and don't really want to have to try to ride it on that for a couple of kms before I can turn off and get onto smaller streets or a carpark etc.

...:

It took me three attempts to pass. The first go was on a regular motorbike, as a scooter wasn't the plan at the time-- and it was a fair call due to inexperience. (The course instructors always mention in the introduction "it's designed for people who've never been on a bike before!"... yet the only guys I've seen pass the first time were long-time trailbike riders..)

The second attempt had the misfortune of getting an instructor who was a Psychopath. She actually made all the weak riders stand out in front and abused us, and then got the rest of the class to join in. Needless to say, she wasn't big on the training thing. (The instructor mentioned being an ex-Cop...) I had also booked in to ride at scooter for this attempt-- but 'my' bike had been given to a pre-P class has a hire.

The third attempt, again booked for a scooter, again got jerked around by the RTA-approved training facility and made to ride a Hyosung motorbike. I managed to pass, poor clutch control non-withstanding --the instructor accepted that I was tending to go scooter, so didn't count it again me.

Thanks for detailing your experiences. In my opinion it certainly wasn't structured for someone who had never ridden a motorbike before.

• 06-04-2012 02:21 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

although you could try a different place...Im in Campbelltown and drove to Clyde to do my Ls although this was more for a sooner timeslot rather than gaining the Ls

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 06-05-2012 04:16 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Forget the travel issues the Honda training is the best and should set you up as a happy learner.

http://hart.honda.com.au/New_South_Wales

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 06-06-2012 08:46 PM In reply to

INMA:

Forget the travel issues the Honda training is the best and should set you up as a happy learner.

http://hart.honda.com.au/New_South_Wales

I'll second that. HART was very good when I did mine (a while ago) and I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about them in all the time since then. I heard plenty of people complain about RTA-run courses though!

• 06-11-2012 10:06 PM In reply to

I done the course again and passed this time. The instructor I had the second time around was far better than the one I had had the first time and offered helpful feedback as well as praise when you got something correct which was much better than the attitude of the first instructor which was to simply yell at you when you got something wrong.

Big Smile

The next installment, http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/18252.aspx

• 08-28-2012 09:49 PM In reply to

• Rishy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-13-2012
    • West Pennant Hills, NSW
    • Posts 36

Congrats on the course.  

Rishy aka Jo
  • 09-27-2013 09:35 PM In reply to

Well done on passing! I also had trouble with the braking at first, the instructor's instructions made no sense - "set up and squeeze" what does that even mean?! After the third or fourth time round the little practice circuit I figured out to roll the throttle forward with the top of the palm and then pull the brake with the fingers. I have my green P's currently ... will get full license in a month or two Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au