Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

The Moped thread

Last post 03-10-2016 03:36 PM by pyrah. 50 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2012 06:52 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

With the sad demise of my demerit points Im looking at the 2 stroke motorised bicycle option to carry me over a 3 month suspension.

My first need is for a way to get up a big hill for a 2k run to the shops. My second need is a 25k eachway daily commute. There are plenty of Chinese 2 stroke engine kits for bicycles around the $300 mark ranging from 49cc's to 66cc's which can produce up to 3.3kw of power 1.7hp but they are not street legal. It seems that the legal limit in NSW is 200w. You can buy a 49cc engine that is restricted to 200w, or 1/4hp will give a top speed of about 20k/h and will cut out above that speed. Apparently this is legal limit for an unregistered motorised pushbike. The thing is that the unrestricted engines look exactly the same as the restricted engines. Question is how long could you ride an unrestricted moped before getting pulled over, These unrestricted engines are apparently capable of 50/60k/h but you have to stop every half hour to let the engine cool down. There are heaps of interesting sites and you tube videos on these motorised bicycles.

The engine kits that I'm looking at are either the Zbox 66

http://zbox.com.au/large_engine.htm

or the Rocksolid kits.

http://www.rocksolidengines.com.au/motorkits.htm

Has anyone out there had any experience with these set ups? I'd be interested in any feedback.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-07-2012 07:14 PM In reply to

Re: The Moped thread

i suppose where you live makes the biggest difference to getting stopped . if you can get a certificate to say it only makes 200W to show then then hopefully they wouldn't pursue it anymore

Idea Take a 3 month Holiday & go ridding abroad were they wont know about the points on your license Smile

• 09-07-2012 08:13 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

LOL! Youre right again of course.

Getting back to the mopeds there are some pretty interesting units out there.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 09-07-2012 09:14 PM In reply to

• razoo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-12-2011
    • Inner west, Sydney
    • Posts 102

Is it worth considering an electric motor? Some of them are quite powerful and are probably less likely to attract attention than a 2-stroke buzzing along at high speed Snail

I gather that the police mainly look out for powered bicycles that look like motorbikes or scooters rather than genuine pushbikes.

A 500w kit on ebay:

Daelim S1 + Peugeot Geopolis 400
  • 09-07-2012 09:48 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

My wife had a 24V electric kit like this on her bike. The biggest problem was the battery. She started off with a lead battery kit that weighed about 10kgs. After about two years it started fading so she invested about $800 in a lithium battery pack which was still heavy and it didn't really have the range for my commute. It was then that I thought that petrol was the better option.

• 09-07-2012 10:00 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 260

A guy who loses all his points on his licence for being too stupid to be on the road, is asking for help for getting back on the road, and making it rather blatant he's going to do so illegally. Entitled much, Darwin?

• 09-07-2012 10:06 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Ah ... I was wondering how long it would take for you to come out of your hole.Smile

• 09-07-2012 10:16 PM In reply to

I remember seeing a jet bike on TV that should confuse them about power output Geeked

• 09-07-2012 10:17 PM In reply to

I'm your man for this one.

I owned a 24v 200w electric pushbike, and I will NEVER suggest anyone uses one. 200 watts will not get you up any sort of a hill worth speaking of. It did however get a non-licensed mate around Bendigo while he recovered from an accident.

Aforementioned mate then went and bought a Z box kit (49cc) and we had a hoot on it. That won't get you the distances you need to get for the longer commute. I'd be looking to carpool to work.

I've spoken to Vicroads who have the absurd 200w limit in place - they don't accept a gearing solution to downgrade an engine.

If you go the Zbox engine, be prepared to get creative in mounting the engine in the frame. That, and buy plenty of spare parts - but the guys are pretty good with their supply of parts.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-08-2012 09:02 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

I have two of these for pleasure riding.

http://www.rotarybike.com/products/Rotary-Mens-18-Speed-Sport-Petrol-Mountain-Bicycle.html

Legal in all States other than Queensland.

They are properly manufactured as a moped and last virtually forever with proper maintenance.

Second hand on eBay they buy and sell for reasonable prices.  Its commen for people who are not fit to start riding with these till they are bike fit for a traditional bike.  And drivers who loose their licenses are common users.

One Tasmanian couple have riden around America and across Australia which is an impressive lot of holidays.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-08-2012 09:24 AM In reply to

• Pinwin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 154

Hi Pete (sorry to hear about your license situation) I did alot of research on electric bikes around Xmas last year & I ended up getting a Gazelle brand with one of their gold batteries (for longer range) -  haven't used it much (between Scooter & car) but the battery is down to 53% after travelling about 65K's so the range is quite good (& that's using the boost function & with the lights on alot of the time) It's a pedalec which means that you have to pedal, it doesn't have a throttle like say the ezybike range. Good luck with it (good chance to get super-fit too judging by the sound of that hill! Stick out tongue

Honda PCX 125
  • 09-08-2012 09:30 AM In reply to

INMAs link http://www.rotarybike.com/categories/Petrol-Bikes/   there is even a trike there

Image 1

• 09-08-2012 05:32 PM In reply to

First of all, I believe things you guys are talking about are not mopeds - they are power-assisted bicycles. Moped has to have a rego.

Second, I've been scarred for life by my bad experience with a chinese petrol-powered model I had a few years back - it was a pile of crap, quality and reliability-wise. Perhaps they lifted their game since then but personally I'll never touch one again with the proverbial 10-foot pole.

(EDIT:  Funnily enough, my bike was Rotary Bike brand - the very same one that INMA is singing praise of a few posts above...)

Third, electric ones were pretty hopeless back then, but they are getting better. As for the power of 200 Watts... well, if you are looking at it as a sole source of power for a bike, of course it is hopelessly inadequate but remember these are POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLES: you are meant to pedal along. Look at it as a pushbike that is really, really easy to pedal... and that it is.

• 09-08-2012 06:24 PM In reply to

... btw... this video has a lot of examples of what I'd mean when I say 'moped'. They don't really exist in Australia though, and I think that is one reason for confusion about that term.

• 09-08-2012 07:25 PM In reply to

• Pinwin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 154

You may be missing the playful tone in the topic header! - perhaps Pete just liked a bit of alliteration!

Still reckon that the Gazelle range of ebikes is the best (currently avail. in Oz) there are various reviews out there in cyberspace (Pyrah?). If a throttle is what you're after then ezeebikes are pretty good but you defs sacrifice range for the ability to twist'n'go! Smile

Honda PCX 125
Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au