Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

The Moped thread

Last post 03-10-2016 03:36 PM by pyrah. 50 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2012 07:25 PM In reply to

• Pinwin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 154

Re: The Moped thread

You may be missing the playful tone in the topic header! - perhaps Pete just liked a bit of alliteration!

Still reckon that the Gazelle range of ebikes is the best (currently avail. in Oz) there are various reviews out there in cyberspace (Pyrah?). If a throttle is what you're after then ezeebikes are pretty good but you defs sacrifice range for the ability to twist'n'go! Smile

Honda PCX 125
  • 09-08-2012 10:43 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

ferrix:
    ... btw... this video
    Great video ferrix, and pinwin was right I like obliteration.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-08-2012 11:29 PM In reply to

petegailey:

ferrix:
    ... btw... this video
    Great video ferrix, and pinwin was right I like obliteration.

Glad you liked the clip... as it says: "live fast, ride slow" :)

• 09-08-2012 11:30 PM In reply to

Devil Was the F1SE (fizzy) the greatest moped ever ? Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

• 09-09-2012 04:42 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Moped is an abreviation of motor and pedal and is any bycicle with that combination.

The Americans barstadised the word and include 50cc scooters as mopeds.

The Europeans are the leaders in quality and market size with brands like Sachs providing quality engine and motor driven mopeds.  Engine driven is generally a petrol engine and motor means electric motor.

In Germany mopeds are registered and insured but share bike paths with ordinary pushbikes.

With markets like Australia and America, the Chinese are flooding the market with cheap poor quality bikes that are destroying market confidence.

Something like the Sachs or Rotary mopeds lasts well over 20,000km before the powerpack needs a rebuild (new piston and ring) for another 20,000km.  They are designed for continuous use by genuine moped riders.

The chinese engine kits sold for converting standard bikes are inefficient, over powered and poor quality.  These types of bikes have led to banning engine driven bikes in Queensland.  The stupid thing is mopeds like the sachs or r otary are ideal for use in Queensland but they have been banned with the cheap Chinese killers.

I love being able to pedal out from home and not need to worry about whether I will struggle witht he trip back home.  It allows me to travel further and keep the trips more interesting.  I stick to the bike paths and respect other users of the paths.

You get what you pay for, cheap is generally poor quality, pay a bit more for something like a Rotary and you get a good moped that has reasonable resale value.

If you want to see a really cool moped thenthe 18cc diesel Lohmann bikes made in the 1950s are now very collectable.

http://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/page-44-german-cyclemotors-lohmann-hilfsmotor/

http://lohmann-motoren-werke.de/

i

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-09-2012 07:31 AM In reply to

INMA:

Moped is an abreviation of motor and pedal and is any bycicle with that combination.

The Americans barstadised the word and include 50cc scooters as mopeds.

To me moped is something more specific: it is a small (up to 50cc usually) motorbike with vestige pedals that are there for show, registration purposes and often used for starting it up (instead of kickstart). They do require registration. That sort of things was mainly made in Europe in the days gone by, I don't know if anyone even still makes anything like that any more. Some examples:

Puch:

Puch Newport

Motobecane:

Americans might've bastardised the term but they are also the keepers of the flame, actively preserving mopeds in that European sixties-seventies sense - both of the above images were taken from Moped Army, an American site.

Rotary Bikes are not mopeds in the above sense (or legislative sense for that matter) - they are power-assisted bicycles. They do not require rego, are supposed to produce no more than 200W and their pedals are still perfectly useable, though they are heavy beasts to ride without motor!

• 09-09-2012 01:59 PM In reply to

Raleigh made a load of mopeds when i was a lad would see heaps of then used to take the workers to the factories . Most in the UK were rode on provisional license's then you got that license with no test & just renewed it when necessary

• 09-09-2012 07:08 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

INMA:
    Something like the Sachs or Rotary mopeds lasts well over 20,000km before the powerpack needs a rebuild (new piston and ring) for another 20,000km.  They are designed for continuous use by genuine moped riders.
    They do look interesting but are way too expensive. The 200W sachs engine kit and rear wheel is nearly $2000. The drive gear is in the hub, max speed 20-30k/h so its pedal assist. Positives for me are the German engineering, very quiet, solid rear wheel, petrol tank on the rear rack, and lack of drive chain from the motor

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-09-2012 07:51 PM In reply to

BSA Winged Wheel same age as me Big Smile

41.jpg

• 09-09-2012 08:47 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    The 200W sachs engine kit and rear wheel is nearly $2000.
    For that money I think you'd be better off buying a second-hand Honda Today in a good nick. It will force you to behave by the virtue of not being able to go faster than 50km/hr but it will be heck of a lot more reliable than this kit... Remeber its design might've been German, but manufacturing is Chinese!

• 09-09-2012 08:58 PM In reply to

ferrix:

petegailey:
    For that money I think you'd be better off buying a second-hand Honda Today in a good nick. It will force you to behave by the virtue of not being able to go faster than 50km/hr but it will be heck of a lot more reliable than this kit... Remeber its design might've been German, but manufacturing is Chinese!

Remember the excise for Pete is to find something that doesn't require a license Smile

• 09-09-2012 11:26 PM In reply to

• razoo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-12-2011
    • Inner west, Sydney
    • Posts 102

petegailey:

This Sachs motor looks great. And here is one for a mere $400:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorised-Mountain-Bike-Genuine-Sachs-Petrol-Engine-/180966130800?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item2a226c0470

The ride up from Melbourne will be just an added bonus!

Or this kit for $950 or best offer might be worth a look:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sachs-Motorised-Bicycle-Motorized-Bike-Rotary-Petrol-Motor-Engine-Kit-Moped-/110946580026?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item19d4ee763a

Daelim S1 + Peugeot Geopolis 400
  • 09-09-2012 11:31 PM In reply to

pyrah:
     Remember the excise for Pete is to find something that doesn't require a license Smile

I thought he still had one point left? Pete?

• 09-09-2012 11:46 PM In reply to

Pete's post from coz we can

My options seem at this stage to take 3 months off then get my 13 points back or to do the good behaviour option of 12 months on 2 points. If I get taken out on the 12 months then I lose my licence for 6 months. Ive got 18 days to decide. Hmmmm.

I think the push bike engine in NSW has been raised to 250w legal but they also sell engines that look exactly the same but have 3.3kw. Hmmmm. 

• 09-10-2012 02:31 PM In reply to

....if you skip the motor part and just use a tredley you will be really fit by the time you get your licence back.....hmmm, 25 k's a day might be a bit tough....ooops 50k's....you still gotta get home....Stick out tongue

....lets have another drink...
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au