Scooter
Community

Deceptively European??

Last post 10-23-2012 11:02 AM by ferrix. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2012 08:28 AM

Deceptively European??

I don't want to sound like a competition bagger, but who came up with that tag line for the new TGB Bella Vita adverts?   What does it mean? 

DECEPTIVELY - In a deceptive or deceiving manner; so as to deceive.

Are they trying to deceive you that it's European, when the reality is that it's not?  A strange choice of word for anyone in advertising.

Moreover according to the end of September spruik it is going to be available in "A vast range of colours".   Brown, red, white and black.  I make that 4 which I'm struggling to believe is a vast range by any stretch.

Does someone need to buy the guys at Mojo a dictionary?

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 10-21-2012 09:03 AM In reply to

Re: Deceptively European??

Well, at least they honestly state it is deceptively european - I think that is way better than Sachs who deceptively stated their bikes were honestly european :)

And sadly in Australia where we sometimes get a choice of exactly ONE colour per model and a choice of at most two is quite common, you could almost get away with calling 4 options 'vast'.

• 10-21-2012 09:15 AM In reply to

Yep, 4 is a fair range of colours compared to some. Mind you, 4 ain't "vast" !

Re "deceptively"....I admire them for being up front! The design is a Euro-based  look,  They are stating that and even implying that there has been some copying ie deception.

I must admit " deceptive" is not something I'd equate with honesty ! Maybe you've seen those Golf ads where they show how some cars try to pass themselves off as being "just like a Golf?" VW has gained customers by setting themselves up as the one others are "deceptively" copying !

You know, I can't recall the last ad campaign by a Euro maker ( read Vespa) where they stressed range, long term value,reputation or that fact that they are copied

.The more recent  Vespa promos that I have seen were pathetic. Do you recall the last one? "BIG news guys ...we have a NEW Vespa. It's exactly the same one but IT"S ORANGE !!"

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-21-2012 09:34 AM In reply to

Nice looking scooter, almost as good as a GTS. I like the linked brakes. But unfortunately it is all plastic. Still, the GTS bodywork is 50% plastic these days.  I wonder why it weighs more than a GTS when there is no metal in the bodywork? Must be some heavy framework inside. 

Mike

• 10-21-2012 12:18 PM In reply to

Devil Ones i would have Thought deceptively European meant it will have bad electrics oil leaks & maybe rust  . Times change now we have Italian Honda's & Chinese Piaggio's Big SmileBig SmileAngel

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 10-21-2012 05:09 PM In reply to

Mojo seem get many things wrong with their advertising check their website the pictures that are supposed to be of both the xrace and bullet 150's are both 50cc pictures, let them know months ago but they dont care. Disappointing that the 300 Bellavita is only a 264cc, bad enough Piaggio was 278cc. Embarrassed

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 10-21-2012 08:29 PM In reply to

Hmmm.............264cc= a "300" scooter, 4 colours  = a "vast" range.

That'll be your "deceptivly" right there

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-21-2012 09:03 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,033

Mike Holland:

Nice looking scooter, almost as good as a GTS. I like the linked brakes. But unfortunately it is all plastic. Still, the GTS bodywork is 50% plastic these days.  I wonder why it weighs more than a GTS when there is no metal in the bodywork? Must be some heavy framework inside. 

Mike

I was quite impressed when i looked at it on the net ,but when i had a close look at the expo i was quite disappointed  in it , its mainly all plastic bodywork with a relatively flimsy  frame beneath . What i thought on paper was probably a serious competitor to the GTS  is actually just another ''plastic thing on wheels ''.Sad

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 10-21-2012 09:16 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Totally agree TGB Bella Vita putting false advertisement , it charged full extend of the law. being deceptive to the general public is being dishonest. It is certainly not European , it made in china .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio Fly 150 and lovin it ,yeah baby !!!

• 10-22-2012 01:58 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Cant wait to pick up a 2nd hand one for $300 and strip it to a naked and see what can be done with it..or matt black it to a rodder styling...

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 10-22-2012 02:58 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

The fact remains that the Bellavita is a European looking scooter. To the untrained eye it looks like a Vespa. And that is one of its bigger selling points? You see all day, every day, cars being advertised in this way. Giving you the feeling they want you to relate them to being European. 

So the model arrives in two weeks. The product we did see at the expo was all pre-production. What you will see when the model lands will be different again. Some features enhanced from the initial units going out around the globe.

So the model for me is still a winner due to price and quality. The production models will look the goods, SYM engine is a good engine. The public in the end will decide if they want a good quality large capacity retro for 6 grand.

Vespa will always be Vespa.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-22-2012 03:00 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

SteelMoon:
    it made in china .

? Where is it made....

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-22-2012 03:18 PM In reply to

I would say Taiwan until i see a Vin plate to tell me different

Wink Who said 264cc  think its more like 263.7cc Stick out tongue

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 10-22-2012 04:16 PM In reply to

Thanks for that clarification, Pyrah. I had a sneaking suspicion that might have been the case

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-23-2012 12:06 AM In reply to

Just to reiterate what I originally said, I'm sure that as a scooter it won't be bad, but I'm not sure that the tag line is particularly accurate. Or indeed would inspire confidence in the product.  

And I know that the price looks attractive compared to a new Vespa, but you could pick up a fairly low mileage used Vespa for the same price or less which has got a proven pedigree, and you know will last 50, 60, 70k plus AND it will look almost as good as new.

Additionally I don't see many of the previous Vespa copies (SYM Classic or Kymco Like) which offered the same "lower price, similar look" offerings on the road, so not sure how this one is going to be offering something different from them.  Surely there has to be another advantage than just price?  The LML Star 2 made a few sales in the absence of the PX (and it is almost exactly the same scooter, though with very ordinary electrics), but once the PX returned, we never sold another LML despite the fact it was cheaper.  So I'd argue that in this market it really isn't cost driven for the most part.

I guess the sales figures will reveal all.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au