Scooter
Community

How and why motorcycle lane splitting is safe and good - by RideApart

Last post 04-07-2013 12:08 AM by MerrilyW. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2013 12:49 PM

How and why motorcycle lane splitting is safe and good - by RideApart

Check out this YouTube flick on how and why motorcycle land splitting is safe and good.

http://youtu.be/JNGD9AAIfFU

I am hoping the Sydney CBD trial becomes a permanent fixture.

Lets Scooter
    Sydneys No. 1 shop for new scooter riders
    TGB | Daelim | CFMoto | Sachs
    10 West Street | Brookvale NSW 2100
  • 03-06-2013 09:13 PM In reply to

Re: How and why motorcycle lane splitting is safe and good - by RideApart

I have a few friends who are HWP motorcyclists. If you ride between the gutter and the car in lane one (or in the breakdown lane) you are booked but if you go between cars (between lane one and two etc) you normally won't be touched.

The golden rule if you do take precedence at the front of the light is that you must always leave in a spritely manner. In other words, never hold up the cars that you have just passed. For this reason, motor scooters with engines of less than 100c shouldn't do it...

• 03-07-2013 05:17 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Totally don't do it if you're slow to take off!  Lol... accidentally did that while I borrowed a 125cc when my 300cc was in the shop.  Not a good way to make friends.  ;)

The most dangerous thing when splitting/filtering, I find, is other bikes.  Knowing exactly who's got right of way when you both want to split/filter can be tricky.  I always defer, unless it's a tincy little 125cc or something coz they're too slow to take off and frustrate me at the lights. 

Piaggio x7 300 Evo... love it.

(*Please assume the following to be written after any statement I make, "not that I'm an expert, mind you.")
  • 04-07-2013 12:08 AM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • I dream it I am there :-)
    • Posts 325

Thanks letscooter - That was a really good video - I especially like the point made that lane splitting reduces rear end accidents by 30%. These are lethal for motorbikes.

Lots of other good points too if you watch it carefully.

Proud owner of Vespa GTS250ie - Ferrari Red..or some colour like that :-) with a BMW cool bike on the side...and a custom built Repsol Honda PCX finishes the stable.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au