Scooter
Community

Variator Nut Removal

Last post 10-06-2013 09:51 PM by DaelimMonkey. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2013 04:25 PM

Variator Nut Removal

For all those scooterist that have installed Dr Pulley sliders themselves I have a question. How did you remove the variator nut ? Would like to do this but have read and heard that the variator nut is difficult to remove without a impact wrench due to the movement of the actual variator. Seen some Youtube clips on this but have heard horror storries of breaking fan blades and disk teath. 

Any advice ????? Would like to oder some sliders and install shortly but was hoping to do it myself.

• 03-21-2013 04:41 PM In reply to

Re: Variator Nut Removal

I have bought a proprietary tool that locks the variator in position so torque can be placed on the nut. It bolts into two (or three) housing bolt holes.It's a Piaggio MASTER engine.

Haven't actually used it yet but it would lock it up just fine.

• 03-22-2013 10:49 AM In reply to

Hi there.

You havent specified what scoot you have.

For my Honda, i use a home made Variator Holder that was designed by a member of a US scooter group i am associated with.

I am sure you could adapt this idea to suit your needs.

On the Honda Variator face plate, there is two threaded ports where you simply screw and fix the holding tool onto. Then, simply remover the nut using a qualiity 6 point socket. Whats most important here is when reassembling, you tighten that nut to the manufacturers specified torque. I am lucky enough to have a Honda issued Service manual that has all the Torque values for just about every fixing on my scoot.

My variator nut is tightened to 93 N-m (9.5 kgf-m, 69 lbf-ft)

Good luck with it,,,,,,,,,,,

Shayne

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 03-22-2013 01:41 PM In reply to

Thanks Shayne,

I have a SYM symphony 150 and also have the both the manual and an a parts list for every singly nut and bolt on the scooter which has all the info I need. I have seen many tools like that on various forums. I am thinking of making something up like that myself.  I am pretty handy so I am not worried about the work however it is the lack of tools that is killing me. So its looking like, in order for me to replace my sliders I will need either;

1. Impact wrench

2. Alternative tool as above

3. Torque wrench.

Those will cost me more than the actual sliders will !!!! Initially thought I would be set with a good socket set but boy was I wrong.

• 03-26-2013 03:48 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Some members use 12V impact wrences like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-UNIMAC-12v-Electric-1-2-Vehicle-Impact-Wrench-Car-ATV-Trailer-Tool-Sockets-/130802514213?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e746ff925

I have an air compressoe and air impact wrench.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 03-27-2013 07:07 PM In reply to

INMA,  Do you use the impact wrench without holding the variator?

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 03-28-2013 04:23 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

The impact wrench turns the nut so fast that it only takes a light hold on the pulley to stop it turning.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-26-2013 10:04 AM In reply to

Has anyone ever had trouble getting the CVT cover off ?

removed all the nuts from my metal CVT case and it felt like it was glued shut. Have heard and read that a few taps of a rubber mallet is all that is needed but just wanted to get some feedback.

• 05-03-2013 01:45 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

There is probaably a bolt left in the cover.  There is often one bolt behind the kick start or in the center.

• 06-06-2013 08:33 PM In reply to

• haro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-23-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 125

Impact wrench - that is all. 

I bought a Ryobi 18V item as I already had the drill and it is without a doubt one of the best tools ive ever bought. Saves me SOO much time when changing tyres, doing my brakes and of course very handy when changing scooter : belts, rollers, sliders, clutch etc etc

You wont look back  :-)

• 07-30-2013 09:10 AM In reply to

You really should use a torque wrench to toghten the nut. It's not a nut you want to fall off and it's not a thread you want to strip. Yes, you will need the tool to hold the variator if you use a torque wrench. 

Just another opnion.

2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
  • 10-06-2013 09:51 PM In reply to

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au