Scooter
Community

And Buying a Helmet online Inter......................

Last post 05-18-2013 02:43 PM by CrazyCam. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2013 05:18 PM In reply to

Re: And Buying a Helmet online Inter......................

CrazyCam:

Have a read at http://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Government-Gazette-28-September-2012_WEB_v01_0.pdf

Page 108 of 112.

How do you interperate that?

Seems to me that you are right.  Providing you got a big head you can wear an overseas helmet providing you have a med cert from your doc.  Then it got me thinking who would have a head that big anyway cause seems huge.... until I measured my head and my rough measurements put me at 62.5cm Surprise.....  So turns out you just have to have an average sized head to be exempt Stick out tongue

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 05-16-2013 05:38 PM In reply to

It's certainly sloppy drafting.

You can look at it two ways. Let's assume you have already done the doctor side of it.

1. You can wear a helmet endorsed by those overseas standards that you normally couldn't.

2. You don't have to wear any helmet as this is a Ministerial exemption to Rule 270 (ie wearing a helmet).

Ambiguity in law is not a good thing.

• 05-17-2013 08:26 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

It sure is sloppy, and I agree with the two possible interpretations.

Back in the dim distant past, there used to be helmet exemptions which did allow folk to ride without a helmet, based on a letter from a doctor claiming some medical condition.

However, some time ago, these exemptions were dropped completely.  Sorry I can't quote chapter and verse for this, but they just seemed to stop being issued.

So, I think that the second interpretation is unlikely to be what was intended.

Did you read the article by Guy Stanford, quoted earlier in this thread?

It does highlight the confused and convoluted state of the various laws in various states.

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 05-17-2013 11:21 AM In reply to

I know in WA you can get an exemption to wear a helmet for medical reasons.  Seems pretty stupid to me to even allow that but from what I've seen of people riding with no helmets it may be a case of natural selection.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 05-17-2013 06:36 PM In reply to

Yes, I am au fait with the article.

The old exemptions were repealed as the outlaw motorcycle members all developed terrible problems for wearing helmets so all got the exemption. An analysis found that a handful of doctors were responsible for most of the medical certificates. As the system was being abused it was pulled.

These days you can buy an Aldi (and similar) motorcycle helmets for 60 bucks or so that has the requisite standard markings so there is no excuse for buying rubbish online. What makes me cranky are the eBay sellers who sell their helmets online to unsuspecting buyers with vague promises of being equal to 1698, or have the DOT rating (which is apparently the highest in the world) inter alia. They rank with the people who flog motorised bicycles and hide behind a 'check with local authorities as to legality to ride' knowing quite well that everyone is going to ride them on the streets.

If you look at eBay there's a guy selling Indonesian motor scooter helmets that are made of leather for goodness sake. Sadly, going by their feedback plenty of people are buying them and getting stung with tickets.

I rather like the NZ position where Japanese/USA/European standards are accepted as suitable (along with the local 1698). This won't be happening in NSW any time soon.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a helmet: ensure it has one of the four recognised certifiers (BSI Benchmark, SAI Global, Global-Mark, TUV Rheinland). Unless you have a big head and can source a decent helmet from overseas... Angel

• 05-18-2013 11:46 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

68 404:

These days you can buy an Aldi (and similar) motorcycle helmets for 60 bucks or so that has the requisite standard markings so there is no excuse for buying rubbish online.

I rather like the NZ position where Japanese/USA/European standards are accepted as suitable (along with the local 1698). This won't be happening in NSW any time soon.

I wasn't actually wanting to buy super cheap silly helmets from O/S but rather fancied a BMS System6 helmet.

In Europe they are available in YELLOW!, but BMW Oz hasn't bothered to bring in any of that colour.  Sad

I was interested in Guy's point that a helmet that can be legally sold in NZ should be equally legally sellable in Oz, or have I misunderstood the point of his arguement there?

regards, CrazyCam
  • 05-18-2013 12:25 PM In reply to

No, you're quite right regarding Guy's point.

It should be considered that if you were stopped by NSW's finest and were wearing said yellow BMW system helmet (which is worth more than your bike!) you would probably find that a Nelsonian blind eye would be turned. There's always the black and white type, but generally commonsense would prevail if you had a top line helmet. 

Just looked up the yellow System 6 helmets. Very nice! Cool Add the matching yellow Airshell jacket too Yes Not bad prices either...

Good luck

• 05-18-2013 02:43 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

68 404:

It should be considered that if you were stopped by NSW's finest and were wearing said yellow BMW system helmet (which is worth more than your bike!) you would probably find that a Nelsonian blind eye would be turned. There's always the black and white type, but generally commonsense would prevail if you had a top line helmet. 

Just looked up the yellow System 6 helmets. Very nice! Cool Add the matching yellow Airshell jacket too Yes Not bad prices either...

Good luck

Thanks.

I don't even expect to be stopped when I'm on my BMW, with panniers and big winter windscreen.  I should just count as another Old Fart on a BM.

What happens when I get the lairy, screaming two-stroke Gilera going...... dunno.

Oh, and I decided I was too poor for the pukka BMW YELLOW jacket and got this one instead.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/68/462/1440/-/41114/Firstgear-Jaunt-T2-Motorcycle-Jacket?term=jaunt+jacket

It was about half the price, and, if I can get a spare BMW patch sewen onto it, it'll double the value.  Big Smile

BTW, on the helmet recalling business, the ACCC seem to have bought into it,too.

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-testing-reveals-unsafe-motorcycle-helmets

regards, CrazyCam
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au