Scooter
Community

Should underpowered scooters be banned from major roads?

Last post 07-07-2013 04:48 PM by awa355. 59 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2013 06:56 PM

Should underpowered scooters be banned from major roads?

Sydney has experienced an explosion of scooters in recent times and that's a great thing. They are efficient, easy to park in numbers, and suit Sydney's climate.

The little tiddlers however, often hold up traffic, particularly on major roads (such as the bus lanes across the Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Should scooters (particularly 50cc) be restricted to roads where they are capable of meeting the speed limit? Should they be permitted to cause congestions, rather than solve it?

Discuss.

• 06-13-2013 07:09 PM In reply to

Re: Should underpowered scooters be banned from major roads?

68 404:
    Should scooters (particularly 50cc) be restricted to roads where they are capable of meeting the speed limit?

Why pick on 50cc - should pushbikes be restricted to roads where they are capable of meeting the speed limit?

May I remind you that speed limit is just that: it's the maximum allowed, not the minimum you must 'meet'.

• 06-13-2013 07:14 PM In reply to

Pushbikes don't use the bus lane on the SHB. 50cc scooter do...

• 06-13-2013 07:14 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

And it's not like the Harbour Bridge is 110km zone.

Most of the time the best you'll get is about 40km/h.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-13-2013 07:17 PM In reply to

I think most Sydney riders here know this is conservative. Outside of the peaks, the average speed on the bridge is a realistic 60-70 km/h. During the peaks traffic on the bus lanes is often held up by 50cc scooters.

• 06-13-2013 07:24 PM In reply to

I still think that obession we seem to have with being held up by slower moving vehicles is just a sad commentary on our living conditions in the city and on our mental state that is their result.

• 06-13-2013 07:30 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

In my experience 50cc scooters are pretty rare in NSW. Its only in Qld and WA(?) where you can ride a 50cc scoot on a car licence that they have any traction in the market so the question IMO is pretty hypothetical.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-13-2013 08:01 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

You seem overly concerned with Bus Lanes... I think you are fishing - or trolling.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-13-2013 08:46 PM In reply to

Actually neither.

You may note I didn't actually offer an opinion either. This is a forum so why aren't we discussing things? If the thread is deemed by the masses to be trolling let me know and I will gladly delete it.

• 06-13-2013 09:19 PM In reply to

I think 50cc scooters are a self limiting phenomenon, in due course most riders will probably move up to something more adequate. It's almost as if they bought a cheap scooter  to test the waters and if they end up not liking it then they figure they haven't lost much and move on.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 06-13-2013 10:15 PM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

I vaguely recall a drivers license question where you were given a speed limit, information that the weather was fine, and the multiple choice questions were to travel at the speed limit, over the speed limit, or severely below the speed limit (by 20km/h).
    The correct answer was at the speed limit since the weather was fine. Travelling too slow in a speed zone increases hazards for everyone else around you.

High absolute speed is definitely a danger when something goes wrong, but large differences in relative speeds increases the liklihood of something going wrong too. Travelling 20km/h slower than everyone is equivalent (in relative speed sense) to you travelling at the speed limit, but everyone else speeding by 20km/h. It's much safer if everyone was at the same speed (i.e. the speed limit) such that your relative speed between each other is 0km/hr. (Noticed this after riding sports bikes for a year or two WITHOUT ever breaking the speed limit. The fact that I could accelerate as fast as a supercar means I can suddenly get into people's blind spots AFTER they've done their head checks).

In answer to the original question: I wouldn't want to ban 50cc's from getting on 70km/h zones (maybe in 110km/h zones), but would consider banning the act of getting onto a 70km/h zone if there was an alternative that's just as good right next to you.

I'm a cyclist, and I think cyclists who ride on the road when there's a perfectly good bike path beside them is stupid and inconsiderate enough to ban. I don't care if you're a contender to win the Tour de France, if you intentionally slow down others for your own self worth (be it for environmental reasons or to shave off milliseconds off your lap time), I'd personally would like to ban you from being selfish. There's no right or wrong tho :D - there's a right to be selfish here in AU. But usually if it means it avoids traffic jams, let's ban it to save everyone else the hassle.

Unfortunately 50cc scooters can't go on bike paths, and being not faced with an alternative - I'm happy to let it slide.

I did originally think that we should ban them from bus lanes when traffic is moving fast, but then motorbikes were originally allowed to ride in bus lanes for safety reasons (i.e. taxi drivers and bus drivers supposedly go through more vigorous licesnsing tests). At least that's how we still get to get away with it from the polly's POV.

W

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 06-14-2013 08:36 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Simple answer is no.

Back in 1984 or 85, I bought a Honda Z50.....a four stroke 49cc baby motorbike with a three speed gearbox with automatic clutch.

This was not a very fast machine, but I used it quite a lot, even though I had bigger faster motorbikes, but I used it according to the conditions.

Back then, there weren't any of these decadent bus lanes, and, I freely admit I avoided the Harbour Bridge and the F3 Freeway.

Even the Gladesville Bridge only got crossed when the traffic was very heavy.

But, in rush hour, I could get from Parramatta into the heart of the city quicker than pretty well any one else.  Smile

Over the years, I did modify and fiddle with the baby until it is now 88cc, 4-speed, normal clutch and can cruise up to about 80 kph.

Anyhow, a registered road vehicle is, by dint of being registered, entitled to be on the roads.

I do, however, subscribe to the Darwinian theory that, if the users of such small, slow vehicles, don't use them in appropriate circumstances, then it's their problem.

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 06-14-2013 08:41 AM In reply to

wleung:
    motorbikes were originally allowed to ride in bus lanes for safety reasons (i.e. taxi drivers and bus drivers supposedly go through more vigorous licesnsing tests). At least that's how we still get to get away with it from the polly's POV.

LOL, I guess we're lucky no politician ever sees buses or taxis  in action!

• 06-14-2013 12:23 PM In reply to

I don't really care what others ride. As long as they stick to the left and let people pass safely. If it's not safe, then don't pass. People don't run out the bus doors to their destination when they get off the bus, so why rush to cross the coathanger? That extra time people do save by going that bit faster will be wasted chin-waging at the water cooler.

• 06-14-2013 03:19 PM In reply to

SmellyTofu:
    That extra time people do save by going that bit faster will be wasted chin-waging at the water cooler.

... or even worse, working!

Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au