Scooter
Community

To Buy or Not to Buy

Last post 08-03-2013 06:03 AM by pyrah. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2013 08:25 AM

To Buy or Not to Buy

Hello all,

Yep, you guessed it, a complete newbie to the world of scooters here. I have won the debate with the wife to get a scooter for Uni purposes (even after a major motorcycle accident where she vowed never to see me on anothe bike again). Anways, I digress. I came across to deals on gumtree and I would like to know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

The first is a 2012 Piaggio zip 50 which is going for $1750, this one has done just over a thousand Km's. It looks like a pretty tidy unit. I cannot tell if it is a single or double seat (only looking for single for registration).

The second is PGO Ligero 50  and is worth $1700. The best part is this one has only done 155 Km's. This has been converted to a single seat.

Now my question is whether or not theses are good deals or the owners just trying to get their money back. Both models I have found sell for about $1900 new, so there is no cause for me to buy these second hand. Also, I have just learned that one of them is unregistered, so the price is way too much just there.

It is of my understanding that when you purchase a vehicle new, as soon as you drive out the lot you are reducing the value by a few thousand dollars. Is this the case with scooters (obviously not thousands). I look forward to hearing from you all, as I do not want to make the wrong decision, escpecially because I don't want to hear the wife. Smile

Thanks heaps,

Remo909

• 07-29-2013 07:55 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy

If the piaggio zip is $1900 ride away & brand new,why not buy that as it will have full warranty

• 07-29-2013 07:59 PM In reply to

Hi Gaz,

I could not agree more, I was wondering though, how much do these things devalue as you drive out from the original purchase. Dropping the price by $200 doesn't seem reasonable. I get they are trying to get their money back, but what is your opinion?

Daniel

• 07-29-2013 08:09 PM In reply to

These people are going to be selling those scooters for a LONG time. Buy the new one for the extra $200, you've got warranty, and nobody else's greasy mitts have been all over it.

Or, offer the 2nd hand sellers some ridiculously low offer, and see if they bite.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 07-29-2013 08:14 PM In reply to

Thanks Wombat, was going to throw about $800 cash and see what happens. Just the old adage, they are a dime a dozen, might be able to stir the pot. Out of the two, what is a better brand?

• 07-30-2013 04:04 PM In reply to

as a SYM rider (SYM and PGO used to be branded Bolwell), I'd say Piaggio.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 07-30-2013 07:13 PM In reply to

Thanks mate, will keep that in mind and hopefully it is of good condition

• 08-03-2013 06:03 AM In reply to

Go the Zip as long as its the two stroke version

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au