Scooter
Community

My Kymco now makes coffee??

Last post 09-28-2013 11:15 PM by DaelimMonkey. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2013 01:41 PM

My Kymco now makes coffee??

Hello,

My Xciting 500 has a clear drainage tube that runs from the Airbox to drain off any moisture, I presume.  You're meant to pull out the little plug and let the water drain out then put the plug back in, every time you see that there is some fluid build up.

I started noticing that the colour was more like a weak coffee with a think foam.  It got so bad that I cleared it out and left the plug off it, so it could drain off as I ride.

This weekend I removed the airbox and cleared all the hoses and cleaned the airbox.  The airbox was full of oil and this nasty coffee coloured slime.  This foaming stuff was at the top of the crankcase where the hose comes from.  My mate who I ride with said that's water getting into your engine.

My questions are:

If water is getting into the engine, where from and why?

Where in the design is this meant to be prevented?  ie:  What is in place to prevent this from occuring?

How worried should I be about it?

What can I do about it?

Things that come to mind are installing an air dam with an in-line water trap like you see on Air compressors that you should have on a spray gun.

Then I think, I shouldn't need to do this.  A stock bike should be able to take care of water. I rode it ten klms today and had to drain that pipe.

Something else I found disturbing was there is a second pipe that runs from the airbox that is post-airfilter. ( Sits underneath the intake tube)

Is my engine drawing in air post filter and making it run rich?  

There is a little rubber valve on the tip and I think that's the prevent air from being drawn in.

All I can do without the expert knowledge is, to keep it clean.  I drilled the holes in the airbox a little bigger to give a clear flow, so that gunk can drain out quicker.

I don't  know what else to do?

Any suggestions?

Appreciate some advice right about now.  Embarrassed

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 08-25-2013 03:15 PM In reply to

Re: My Kymco now makes coffee??

Dose the radiator keep requiring topping up or there is bubbling in there if the engine started with the radiator cap off ( remove when cold ) .   Probably cylinder head gasket leaking/blowing allowing water to get from water jacket into cylinder

Some old cars use to get oil water emulsification (what we called mayonnaise) on the oil filler cap due to condensation but don't think that happens now in more modern engines unless doing a lot of short runs so the engine is not getting warm enough

• 08-25-2013 04:16 PM In reply to

Hey Pyrah,

Radiator never needs topping up.  Haven't looked for bubbles. Radiator cap is above headlight inside the front.

I am doing shorter runs these days.  Round daily used to be 44klms, but now it's 11.3klms.

Mayo is a good description.  Pretty much what it looks like.

Thanks for your input.

• 09-07-2013 05:55 PM In reply to

Any more advice?  INMA?  Whitefang?

• 09-07-2013 07:55 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

My scooter is air-cooled but when I've had 'mayo' in the radiator of my cars it's been a blown head gasket,if it was mine I'd get it looked at quicksmart.

• 09-07-2013 08:42 PM In reply to

Sounds like water is mixing with oil somewhere. I've seen it on cars that don't get warm, or have head gasket troubles.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-07-2013 09:17 PM In reply to

Thanks Gaz and Wombat.

• 09-08-2013 11:25 AM In reply to

Thought I'd do a compression test today.

I performed a Dry and Wet test and ran each five times to get an average, here are the results.

Dry:

140 140 140 140 140

Wet:

180 180 170 170 170

Consulted the manual.

Compression pressure: 

XCITING 500/500 AFI:  (185 psi, 1300 kPa)

Low compression can be caused by: 

Œ  Blown cylinder head gasket 

Œ  Improper valve adjustment 

Œ  Valve leakage 

Œ  Worn piston ring or cylinder 

I have never done the valve clearance as it's scheduled to be done at 24,000klms and I've almost at 18,000.

The manual said to warm the engine up before starting the test.  I didn't.  Should I re-run the test, or is it pretty clear?

• 09-14-2013 10:22 PM In reply to

Repeated my compression test after warming the bike up first, as per the manual.

Forgot to write down the dry result, but from memory it was 150ish and 160 Wet.

Looks like it's worseSad 

• 09-14-2013 10:33 PM In reply to

Still thinking cylinder head gasket gone Sad

• 09-15-2013 07:17 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

The milky stuff in the engine is probably water from condensate.  When petrol burns, water is a byproduct and some of it is picked up by the oil.

Engines that do lots of short trips don't get hot enough to boil the water out of the oil hence the oil emulsion.

The immediate fix is to do an oil change and put fresh oil in the engine to reduce the water and increase the oil additives.

Then take the scooter for occasional long rides to give the oil some time while hot to boil off the water out the breather.

The condensate is a bigger problem in the colder months when the oil is overcooled by the cold air flowing over the engine casing.  You are less likely to have these issues in summer.

If its bad, clean the breathers and airbox after the long trip because they may stay cool and hold condensate a long time after its boiled from the engine oil.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-15-2013 09:06 AM In reply to

Thanks INMA,

Yeah that makes sense.  What are your thoughts about the compression test?  You agree with Pyrah?

The bikle is coming up to the end of two years.  I've got it booked in to seal the leak at the top of the right crank case cover.

• 09-15-2013 05:55 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

If it had a blown head gasket it will overheat eventually.

With the bigger engine doing short trips it sounds like condensation.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-15-2013 09:44 PM In reply to

Awesome INMA.

Guess I'll find out where the loss of 25PSI is coming from when I get it looked at.

• 09-27-2013 09:02 PM In reply to

OK, so the compression loss was confirmed by the mech and a leak down test was also performed.  Definately leaking, but was considered to be not worth worrying about.

My question is:

Would you be worried with a leaking piston with 18,000klms on the clock, or is that normal?

If it's this bad now, what's it going to be like in another 2 years?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au