Scooter
Community

Sydney: Sussex St parking area

Last post 09-06-2013 08:28 PM by Loose Change. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-03-2013 01:04 PM

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Sydney: Sussex St parking area

About 3 years ago, City of Sydney Council put in a large parking area for motorcyclists. As with any area, it was quickly filled up and the demand for more was immediate. No matter how much parking we get, there will always be a deficit.

The solution for motorcyclists was to simply expand into the whole area even though it was clearly marked with "No Stopping" signs.

Now here is the problem - for 3 years Council Rangers were tolerant and allowed us to get away with it. Then the crackdown came without any warning. Last week hundreds of bikes were booked.

It could have been an exercise in diplomacy but instead Council were adversarial and understandably, now being accused of "Revenue Raising".

Can YOU identify any other area around the CBD which we can lobby Council to turn into motorcycle parking which won't clash with the pedestrians?

Green area is designated space for what Council say is 80 bikes. I have counted 120 in that space.

Orderly parking in the green zone

Expanding into the orange zone

Pushing the boundaries

Overflow into the red zone

This is supposed to be a pedestrian walkway

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 09-06-2013 02:05 PM In reply to

Re: Sydney: Sussex St parking area

It's not the first time there's been a mass booking - I narrowly missed one some time over last summer (can't remember dates) where all the guys in the "red" zone and perhaps yellow (everywhere there's "no parking" signs) had been booked already when I arrived in the afternoon. I wouldn't know if there had been others. But yes, ignoring for years and then striking all at once without communication is a *** move.

• 09-06-2013 08:28 PM In reply to

Re: Sydney: Sussex St parking area

Jax:

About 3 years ago, City of Sydney Council put in a large parking area for motorcyclists. As with any area, it was quickly filled up and the demand for more was immediate. No matter how much parking we get, there will always be a deficit.

Starting to look like either Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok, just got a few million more to go Smile

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au