Scooter
Community

what makes a classic?

Last post 12-09-2013 09:05 PM by Blam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2013 11:05 PM

what makes a classic?

hi all.     whats a classic? is it how old a scooter is? or the age of the scooter and the fact it still runs? or the type of scooter?cause if its the last your classic may not be mine. classic Hmmm

• 12-07-2013 11:53 PM In reply to

Re: what makes a classic?

Some explanation below but think in USA then its different again . Also we now sometimes refer to some machines as modern classics anything that sells i suppose 

On various pages, you will see references to veteran, Vintage, etc. These terms vary somewhat in their meaning, depending on who uses them, so for consistency I use the VMCC definitions (or a subset, to be accurate - I don't generally distinguish between Early and Late Vintage).

Veteran (or Pioneer): pre-1915. There are sub-classes for veteran events, but they needn't concern us here. The VMCC only specify Veteran.

Early Vintage: 1915 to 1924.
    Late Vintage: 1925 to 1930.
    Post-vintage: 1931 to 1944.
    Post-war: 1945 onwards, but more than 25 years old.

The odd one is the most commonly-used: Classic. This has no real definition; for some people it covers all of the above, for others it means late post-war (Sixties and Seventies), for insurance companies it can mean more than 15 years old. As far as bike magazines (who use it more than most) are concerned, it generally means "more than 25 years old but not really ancient".

• 12-08-2013 12:33 AM In reply to

Thanks mate not a easy question so thats a pretty  decent answer. Cheers

• 12-08-2013 01:59 AM In reply to

Classic or not ?

• 12-08-2013 02:42 AM In reply to

I would have to say your idear is the same as mine

• 12-09-2013 09:05 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

If you are talking about the scooter scene, 'classic' means metal bodied and manual gear box (with a very few exceptions). It's not really to do with the year of manufacture - 21st century LMLs and Vespa PXs are acceptable as they are scooters that have been largely unchanged since the mid-1970s. Mostly Lambrettas and Vespas, although other post-war-to early 1970s European or Japanese scooters are welcome in the scene.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au