Scooter
Community

Bolwell Arriba - really weird electrical problems

Last post 07-31-2014 09:11 AM by mcorkill. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2014 01:25 PM

Bolwell Arriba - really weird electrical problems

HI. I have a really strange electrical problem that I am really hoping someone may have some ideas about. I don't want to take it to a mechanic and pay $$$$$ if it is a simple fix. I recently put some slightly larger bulbs in the parking lighs on either side of the headlight (which is crap). Since then my petrol gauge only works intermittently along with the tacho (they stop at the same time). Turning off the headlight/parking lights has no effect on the petrol gauge/tacho. It just comes back on randomly and goes off again. The really weird thing is, the scooter will only start if I am sitting on it (this has never been the case before). I don't know if all these things are related or not. This weekend I will take out the larger parking light bulbs and see it if all returns to normal. I suspect it won't. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

• 07-30-2014 02:53 PM In reply to

Re: Bolwell Arriba - really weird electrical problems

Have you disturb a earth wire/connector block or something when you changed the lamps or have any fuses blown 

• 07-30-2014 08:00 PM In reply to

Thanks for that I'll check both.

• 07-30-2014 08:52 PM In reply to

• Jobbie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2010
    • Raymond Terrace, NSW
    • Posts 240

Definately sounds like an intermittant earthing connection. Current only flows with a complete circuit. Break the earth return, and things like fuel guages and tachos cease to function. My electrical rule of thumb: The bigger the problem, the simpler the problem is to find. 

With the higher power parking lights...They wouldn't cause the problem (if they haven't blown fuses), but be mindful of possibly melting plastic lenses and globe holders.

Good luck.

Aprilia Sportcity 125 - 2007.
    Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie - 2010.
    Piaggio X7 300 Evo - 2019.

3.21 l/100km
  • 07-31-2014 09:11 AM In reply to

Thanks Jobbie, much appreciated, I will check for loose earth wires and connections (green I think).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au