Scooter
Community

Kymco Super 8 125 Engine Upgrade (Unleash the Beast)

Last post 11-13-2014 08:25 PM by sceptimus. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-05-2014 08:04 PM

Kymco Super 8 125 Engine Upgrade (Unleash the Beast)

So i bought my Super 8 earlier this year, cheap as chips and thought this could be my first project to push some more ponies out of this small engine. It is as weak as a 125 scoot can be, but now its just got alot better.

To explain i will list the upgrades completed, suffice to say im now very happy with this little pocket rocket!!

150cc Big Bore Kit Installed

Engine Head has been ported

Carby has been upjetted and tuned to exhaust

Pod Air Filter installed (old system redundent but still attached to scoot, will remove)

Yoshimura Full Exhaust system Installed

This thing now has a rediculas amount of torque and happily climbs hills without the need for full throttle anymore, i havnt opened the throttle wide open yet as im running in the new piston. but im intrigued to see how it goes. The mechanic told me it poped a wheelie for him when he tested it!

i'm planing to do the Variator and Clutch with Malossi parts and a bigger 30mm carb with performance intake manifold and Racing CDI.

Has anyone else here owned / upgraded a 125 scoot in this way or a GY6 based scoot? if so what did you experience? from the exercise.

Offcourse the BMW C600 Sport hasnt missed out, Ive put an K&N High Flow Filter on her and an Arrow Full exhaust system. im addicted now, to Scooters and there parts LOLLOL.......  

Kymco Super 8 125 (150cc)
    BMW C600 Sport

Member of Hobart Motor Scooter Club
    http://www.cosmicbreed.com/HMSC.htm
  • 11-07-2014 07:26 PM In reply to

Re: Kymco Super 8 125 Engine Upgrade (Unleash the Beast)

Very curious to see what you have created.Even more curious about how much you spent?

How's the old saying go, How fast do you want to go? is equal to how much money do you have.

• 11-07-2014 09:05 PM In reply to

I have spent about $800 on this scoot for all the upgrades so far. i'm not doing anymore for a while so i can recover money wise. here is some pics, ive removed the old air box now as it was redundent.

BMW C600 Sport

• 11-07-2014 09:14 PM In reply to

just quickly here is the pics of the exhaust on the C600 Sport aswell.

BMW C600 Sport

• 11-12-2014 10:45 PM In reply to

"wind noise" tumble weed blows past..........

anyone else????? kinda feeling underwelmed by the response here.

BMW C600 Sport

• 11-13-2014 03:49 AM In reply to

Big Smile Quite on the site at the moment so

• 11-13-2014 04:31 AM In reply to

I don't know that much about scooters or petrol-driven things but this yesr I embarked on a project to upgrade my old scooter.

I agree that the result has been a big improvement and my scooter is now much more enjoyable to ride.

I did all of the work on my own, I have decided that I will also do all the servicing now, I have recently bought and fitted new tires and given it a minor service.

I think scooters are mechanically about as basic as it gets, and the engine is so small that I can pick it up with my hands, this simplicity is very good and I pretty much know what everything on my scooter is now.

I may have doubled the power and torque and I am now thinking how much longer it will last, I checked the play on the crankcase bearings and they are slightly worn, I will need to replace the crankcase soon I think.

I went all Malossi so I haven't really had any compatibility issues, I tried fitting harder clutch springs but have gone back to the ones I had on previously.

The variator rollers seem to be wearing prematurely, and I have really bad economy from the oversized valves on the new Malossi V4cylinder head. I think if I replaced the Keihin CVK carburettor with a more tunable one, I would get better mileage and performance, otherwise, I don't think there is much else I want to do.

I am impressed with how little money you have spent for what you have, I got discounts from Malossi for buying so much of their stuff but I think I have spent thousands myself.

I haven't seen any souped up scoots in my neighbourhood lately, but have seen a few new commuter scoots about.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 11-13-2014 07:17 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

sceptimus:
    "wind noise" tumble weed blows past..........

I think the upgrades look very cool. Wouldn't mind some feedback on performance and the change in the Super 8. Most of the upgrades I have seen have had little impact, but what you have here is probably something different. What's the difference and what made the biggest difference over standard?

The pipe on the BMW is probably the best looking pipe available - like it lots.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 11-13-2014 08:25 PM In reply to

you make a good point allen.

Yes the performance of the Scoot has definately increased, along with a slightly different tone out of the exhaust.

The performance increase so far is not ground breaking by any stretch, it accelerates faster and climbs hills better but ive lost about 5km of top speed because of the extra torque. on the flat if i go from 80% throttle to 100% there is little difference in speed i can get with the max being 105 KMh (or so the speedo says) all full throttle does is make the engine rev hard and it eats the fuel up quicker. 

Up hills is where i see the difference, im still running the standard carb, just up jetted and tuned. i think this may be holding it back somewhat, along with the OEM CDI unit.

So I have ordered a 30mm GY6 Carbie for it, with High Spark ignition coil, Perfomance Intake Manifold and unresricted CDI unit which will change the torque / power curve. which should make max power when i need it more useful.

other upgrades planned are an Malossi Delta Clutch and a Jcosta Variator to give it better gearing. 

BMW C600 Sport

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au