Scooter
Community

Ride For Cambodian Kids

Last post 11-08-2017 04:57 AM by INMA. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2014 05:02 PM

Ride For Cambodian Kids

We're riding motorcycles around Cambodia to raise money for a very special project there to protect Cambodian kids. With many thanks. we are half way to our Pozible target of $4000! The riders are Rolf, Beth, Amy, Trevor, David, Imam, Julie, and Greg. Please help us if you can, even in a small way. A dollar goes a long way in Cambodia. There's more information on our Pozible site - Click here:http://www.pozible.com/project/187785

Thanks for reading this

Vespa Club of Melbourne

Vespa Club of Melbourne Inc.
    http//:www.vespaclubmelbourne.com.au
  • 11-15-2014 06:58 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

Re: Ride For Cambodian Kids

I've spent a fair bit of time travelling in Asia, I've taken the oportunity to look at various charities operating in the poorer countries.

The sad result of me looking is the discovery most western money donated to these "charities" has little value and in many cases uses the children to exploit the generosity of gullible westerers.

Sadly, I have wasted good money thanks to an Australian charity, which clearly did not send my substantial donation for a project to that project.  They clearly did not expect me to visit the remote area and talk with the project manager.  Sadly, by looking I've learnt most charities are more about their own survival and less about the people they claim to help.  And the friendlier they are the more likely they are wasting your money.

One charity I do provide money to is  http://www.lao-kids.org/.  because they spend it all on the most vulnerable people in their area and they spend it efficiently.  But don't expect to meet the children or holiday doing charity work, they are not in the business of entertaining westerners, they are totally focused on doing the right things in the community.

I really hate people who take a holiday and pretend they are doing good bla bla bla when they could have stayed home, saved the airfare, stayed at work and donated their wages and saved travel expenses to a real project helping these poor communities.

For what its worth, everytime an Australian charity tries to scam me or some other leach tries to get money, I hop on-line and send a bit more to http://www.lao-kids.org/

knowing a few dollars will keep an orphan fed for a year or buy baby cloths for a new baby that otherwise would die from exposuire because the family cannot afford basics for the baby.

Appoligies if this sounds harsh but I am tired of do gooders pretending they are doing good when they are just on an ego trip holiday from reality.

There are plenty of good charities out there but the only one I can vouch for is http://www.lao-kids.org/ 

And I've looked at half a dozen Australian based charities and they are either scams or tourist scams. Tourists working in orphanages but the kids are taken from their homes to use with the tourists, even though they have a happy healthy family to live with, that is Cambodia for most western charity tourists.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 11-15-2014 07:00 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

I forgot to mention Westerers riding motor bikes in the Asian countries is idiotic.  And if their riding small wheeled Vespas they are even stupider than I thought possible.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 11-15-2014 07:10 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-15-2014 08:59 PM In reply to

Thanks INMA.

I've spent a fair bit of time travelling in Asia, I've taken the oportunity to look at various charities operating in the poorer countries. We've travelled and ridden extensively in Asia, and have lhad a look at various charities operating in Asia. I would suggest that we probably have more experience.

The sad result of me looking is the discovery most western money donated to these "charities" has little value and in many cases uses the children to exploit the generosity of gullible westerers. Agreed

Sadly, I have wasted good money thanks to an Australian charity, which clearly did not send my substantial donation for a project to that project.  They clearly did not expect me to visit the remote area and talk with the project manager.  Sadly, by looking I've learnt most charities are more about their own survival and less about the people they claim to help.  And the friendlier they are the more likely they are wasting your money. We have had the same experience with Australian charities, and do not associate with the charity industry. The money we raise goes directly to this project, no middlemen, no bullshit.

One charity I do provide money to is  http://www.lao-kids.org/.  because they spend it all on the most vulnerable people in their area and they spend it efficiently.  But don't expect to meet the children or holiday doing charity work, they are not in the business of entertaining westerners, they are totally focused on doing the right things in the community. We haven't heard of your preferred charity. Let's hope it's as genuine as you say. We have worked with the Khmer Association For Development for four years now and have contributed to the building of a community health, education, and welfare Centre in Kompong Speu that has been built from nothing. It is very genuine.

I really hate people who take a holiday and pretend they are doing good bla bla bla when they could have stayed home, saved the airfare, stayed at work and donated their wages and saved travel expenses to a real project helping these poor communities. Hate? We have visited the project three times to work with the community in a remore part of Cambodia - hardly a holiday and we are not pretending. Our vists confirm that the money we have donated actually hits the ground. And it does. This ride is an oppurtunity to connect more people with the project. 

For what its worth, everytime an Australian charity tries to scam me or some other leach tries to get money, I hop on-line and send a bit more to http://www.lao-kids.org/. This is not a scam. I believe you when you say your recommended charity is not a scam. How do you know that your armchair support actually does what you say?

knowing a few dollars will keep an orphan fed for a year or buy baby cloths for a new baby that otherwise would die from exposuire because the family cannot afford basics for the baby. That is a misrepresentation of what we have done over the last four years and what we intend to do.

Appoligies if this sounds harsh but I am tired of do gooders pretending they are doing good when they are just on an ego trip holiday from reality. Apology not accepted. Not do gooders, not pretending, and not on an ego trip. You are harsh and bigoted.

There are plenty of good charities out there but the only one I can vouch for is http://www.lao-kids.org/   We want to believe you. Please check out the Khmer Association For Development and get back to us about what you think. http://www.kadcngo.org/

And I've looked at half a dozen Australian based charities and they are either scams or tourist scams. Tourists working in orphanages but the kids are taken from their homes to use with the tourists, even though they have a happy healthy family to live with, that is Cambodia for most western charity tourists This is not an Australian based charity. We are not tourists. We know Cambodia.

• 11-15-2014 09:04 PM In reply to

I forgot to mention Westerers riding motor bikes in the Asian countries is idiotic.  And if their riding small wheeled Vespas they are even stupider than I thought possible. I forgot to mention: we regularly ride in Asia and love it  - so I suppose that makes us even greater iidiots according to your values. Happy to stand next to you and see who has more integrity. I forgot to mention that we will be riding Honda motorcycles -  they have large wheels and suitable for the conditions.

Thank you for your diatribe.... we would like to take this post down now. 

• 11-17-2014 08:02 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

You say " That is a misrepresentation of what we have done over the last four years and what we intend to do."

I was stating what my donations have been doing.  $1700 feeds an orphanage with 600 kids for a month.  It takes about $4 to save a baby in Laos, maybe a bit more but $10 in baby stuff goes a long way.

The idea of westerers doing meaninful work in a few weeks always amuses me, as I said save your airfares and donate the money.  Typical wage for a man is less than $2 a day and most poor families live on about $2 a week so imagine what the cash from the airline ticket or motorbike hire can do employing a local working on projects.

I've heard of tourists do gooders going to build a building for a couple of weeks, they pay their money and the project lets them work, then after their gone builders move in demolish the work and start again with workmanship understood by the locals.

And as for westerers teaching kids for a few weeks then moving on, this just leaves the kids unprepared for when predator tourists come and exploit the kids.  Peodophiles love the Western charity scams, does all the hard work for them.

Most responsible westerners I've spoken to in Laos and Cambodia make it clear westerners should not engage with children.

And that includes taking photographs like the photo use at the start of this thread of kids leaving school.  Photo's like this can be taken twice a day as the schools close.

And the reason schools close twice a day is because most kids do half a day's government school a day so they can work the other half day. Kids charities caution about funding programs that might be used to justify taking the kids out of their half day government school to keep the tourists happy.  Money funding these charities often increases the abuse of children.

Clearly I can't commenton this charity, but using a photo of kids leaving school to make the case is not my idea of ethical.  How would you like it if I started taking photos of Victorian primary school children leaving their school and posting it on the intenet as part of a fund raiser for kids charities.

• 11-08-2017 04:57 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

Just a bit more about the abuse if children by these organisations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/campaign-against-orphanage-tourism-builds/9127950

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au