Scooter
Community

New GTS300ABS - some observations

Last post 03-11-2015 05:41 PM by DaveO. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2015 01:11 PM

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

New GTS300ABS - some observations

Well I put in a quick first 200km ride today on the new 300. The old GTS250 went before Christmas and makes an interesting comparison. 

a) The front suspension on the 300 is far stiffer and non-compliant - on some country roads I really have to hang on to the bars. 

b) The flyscreen. Well I thought long and hard before buying this, as the 250 didn't have one. Most people told me it would make the scoot quicker. That may well be so, but it also causes a lot of wind noise and buffeting of the helmet, although it does take wind pressure off the chest. All in all - thumbs down (anyone want a near new genuine Vespa screen?). 

c) Performance? Far too new to tell. 

d) ABS? Who knows?

Why did I 'upgrade' from the 250 you may ask? Circumstance, that's all - a gift from the wife. 

The Red Menace
  • 02-08-2015 05:23 PM In reply to

Re: New GTS300ABS - some observations

I don't know how much difference the new front suspension and the ABS would make to me, but I do love the new speedometer/instrument panel. A big improvement. I would love to see a new headlight design, as I hate that sloping headlamp.

If I was replacing/upgrading my scooter now, I would certainly get one  -  and then start modding it! Big Smile 

Mike

• 02-14-2015 11:59 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Gee Dave O , you've done exactly the same as me in upgrading to a 300 ABS , did ya get a Blue one too 😃, it will be great to compare notes with you , i got mine Nov 14 & just clocked 7000k's last weekend , was brand new when i got it , sounds like you haven't done many K's yet ? ,you mention about the ABS & yes it works very well believe you me 😳, I rode down the Clyde Mntn from

Braidwood to Batemans Bay in rain/fog with the strong smell of diesel & very obvious rainbows on the tar , i rode @ moderate pace but did not feel any instability during braking , at one point on a slight uphill section i had the traction control lamp on momentarily , there was a truck parked by the roadside at the bottom of the mountain with police /fire etc attending to thr trucks badly leaking tank . I find that despite only having 33cc more capacity that i can maintain better speed uphill & in headwinds & can easily cruise @ 115kph , also the ABS models now having an electronic speedo thus no cable , it has a very accurate speed reading as checked against my phone speedo & the sat nav . I am getting 3.4 L/100 average over 7000k's , the tyre wear on the Michelin City Grip is incredible @ 7000kms still has 2.5 mm left on the rear tyre with all summer riding & considerable pillioning ( best ever from any tyre rear on the 250 was 8000k's which was right to the bones) . The front suspension is rather harsh but goes thru twisties far better than the old front end did , the seat as nice as it looks is a very hard uncomfortable item but is transformed when an Airhawk is added , i think the hard seat with Airhawk is better than a soft seat like the 250 had , i can do bout 2.5 hrs between stops which is 1/2 hr up on the old 250 . I was in 2 minds whether to make the update & shelling out $10000 , but my wife assuring me that i will get my moneys worth out of it like i did the 250 , plus the ABS & Traction control seemed a good move , but in the end it was the Blue colour that put my name on its rego papers , yeah so far i am pleased as pud , i should come for a run up to Cow Flat sometime , have ya got coffee 😃

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-15-2015 10:20 AM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Correct, I haven't done many km yet as I've just had a couple of TIAs (mini strokes) in quick succession and currently in Bathurst Base Hospital. Hope to be out on Tuesday or Wednesday after an MRI scan. 

Yes, we've got coffee at Cow Flat. - coffee - drinking visitors welcome any time. 

The Red Menace
  • 02-15-2015 12:27 PM In reply to

speedo is accurate as verified by WA dept of transport.Wink

argentum melle
  • 02-15-2015 12:48 PM In reply to

DaveO best regards hope everything goes right for you Yes

• 02-16-2015 04:25 PM In reply to

Certainly rest up, DaveO.   Think how much sweeter that scooter riding will be after the wait.  :-)

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 02-17-2015 11:55 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

2 TIA's , oh wow you're not content with just one Sad, hope you are back up & running again soon so you can get some Vespa medicine into ya Big Smile

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-18-2015 12:02 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

silverflyer:

speedo is accurate as verified by WA dept of transport.Wink

hmm , yes i can believe that , i find that i do need to keep an eye on the speedo , have seen 125 a few times . With the 250 while 125kmh was achievable but knew you were doing it but the 300 sounds/feels the same even up to 140kph .

• 02-22-2015 04:59 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I'm now home again after a week in Bathurst Base and fairly rattling with pills. 

While I was away, a little parcel arrived from Scooterwest in San Diego containing the wires and plugs I needed to put a permanently-live ciggy socket on the front left knee pad. This means I can easily attach a CTEK trickle charger as well as power up my iPhone when I'm riding for GPS purposes.

Yes, I know I could have bodged it up myself but the beauty of this kit, like most American after market accessories, is that it was completely plug and play as they say. No tools required except a bent paper clip which they actually supplied! 

Now to get back on the horse . . . 

The Red Menace
  • 02-25-2015 07:59 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Glad to hear that you're home again , have fun with all the pills 😄, what colour is the 300 ? , when you're up to it post a pic or 2 mate .

• 03-11-2015 05:41 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Well the front suspension is not getting any softer. Ikon have offered to make me a lighter spring, but I would need to ride down to Albury and wait while they test the standard shock and then get creative.

PPMP have contacted me and advised that Bitubo have announced a version of their shock for MY15 GTS300s, so I have put my name down for one when they arrive in mid-April. It looks like these units are adjustable for preload and rebound damping, so fingers crossed. Oh, and the spring is red just like the OEM one Big Smile

The Red Menace
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au