Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Hello! newb needs help!

Last post 05-16-2015 08:16 PM by wombat. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2015 06:44 PM

Hello! newb needs help!

Hello everyone,  

First post on here woo! Been snooping around on here looking for info and the abundance is somewhat overwhelming! 

Now let me start with a massive apology as I'm sure this has been covered at least in part in otger posts.

So story goes we're looking for a scooter for my partner,  she originally was going for her motorcycle license but after almost completing the course the pressure of learning to ride AND learning to drive a manual (always driven auto cages) got to her. So going to try for her scooter license tomorrow Smile

Anyway I'll be on here asking questions to do with what scooter etc etc. She's going to be riding to work during the week, which is a 30k round trip, mostly over 80kmh but part 90kmh.

We're in Canberra so there are limited scooters for sale, and to help this further we'll need to purchase from a dealer (credit card woo) and a maximum of $5k to spend. 

So yeah suggestions on scooters and a heads up on more very novice questions haha. 

Thanks heaps everyone, 

Mikey

• 05-03-2015 08:09 PM In reply to

Re: Hello! newb needs help!

Go to Moto Central and buy a CF Moto Jetmax. They're a 220cc, and as a rider of a 150cc SYM, I wouldn't recommend it for 80-90 all day, every day riding.

That's not to say that I don't - I've done 500k Highway weekends on it.

Or, look around for something used - stick with the big names

Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio/Vespa are your top tier

SYM, TGB, Kymco, CFmoto are still pretty good, but no quite up there with the big boys.

Avoid anything else, or ask here first. Good luck and happy scootering!

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 05-03-2015 08:24 PM In reply to

There is also the Suzuki Address 110 out now that sounds OK at under $3000 otr but don't know about running at 90 for long periods

• 05-03-2015 09:00 PM In reply to

Thanks heaps for the suggestions. Went to moto central and was less than impressed, walked around out front where they have their used stuff, went inside and no one even there to talk too... Also no cfmotos to look at.

Went to motorini and complete opposite service but will have to go check out their used stock again, can't remember what they had haha...

• 05-04-2015 03:08 AM In reply to

Hi, Canberra person here,

From a past experience, Moto Central weren't bad, maybe what you are comfortable with. Shops are at opposite ends of town so maybe consider convenience for service visits too. There is also Canberra Motorcycle Centre for Japanese scooters, I think they sell used ones as well, a second hand scoot might be cheaper for the faster ones and if having an unfortunate mishap, maybe less concern about scratches and scrapes, be safe out there!

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 05-04-2015 09:27 AM In reply to

Thanks scoot-agogo 

We're Northsiders so would be good if moto central are alright, might have just gone in at a bad time. Certainly looking at second hand, more bang for your buck and yeah less care if its dropped etc.

With servicing which brands are generally cheaper? I know frequency varies a fair bit between brands.

Cheers, Mikey

• 05-04-2015 12:20 PM In reply to

My scooter is serviced every 6000 km, I think that is fairly average, maybe some of the newer models need less but high performance ones like the new Suzuki Burgman 200 might need shorter intervals and more maintenance. I'm not very knowledgeable there, if your thinking of regular speeds of 80-90 km/h, a 125 or better a good 150 would be the smallest I think, though the bigger scooter might be a little intimidating to learn on at first.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 05-04-2015 03:31 PM In reply to

Yeah, my SYM VS150 will _do_ 80-90 all day, but that's all it's comfortable with. It's not doing it easy, like a 200 of bigger will.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 05-04-2015 03:46 PM In reply to

What about a honda pcx150?

As fas as can tell will do 100kmh+ so 90 on an incline should be doable? But rear drum...

• 05-04-2015 04:06 PM In reply to

Don't worry about rear Drum brakes. Most of your stopping is done with the front brakes, just like in a car. The weight coming forward makes the front the best place for stopping.

PCX engine being fuel injected might be more comforable doing those speeds.

• 05-04-2015 04:11 PM In reply to

I upgraded from 125 to a sporty 200, 200 is pretty comfortable around those speeds, 125 was happier doing under 80.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 05-04-2015 04:13 PM In reply to

I'd definitely recommend throwing a leg over the SYM HD2.  I'm sure with negotiations you could get one under $5k brand new.   Absolutely brilliant scooter.  Fuel injected 170cc that's liquid cooled.  Actual top speed of around 130kph (I had HD200, which is the older model and has GPS tested the speed), and to me the absolute sweet spot was around the 80 to 90kph mark.  With enough grunt to accelerate and sit on the freeway speeds as well. 

I rode mine all the time on the freeway and never felt like I was holding people up, more often than not I was weaving through the slower cars.   They have larger wheels too which make it a much nicer ride at high speed.  Chuck on a top box and you have great storage. 

More than capable with two people onboard as well.  I regularly rode two up and it would still hit 100kph easy. 

Added bonus is when it comes to upgrade time they seem to hold their value really well. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 05-04-2015 05:53 PM In reply to

Also have a look at the Piaggio Liberty S 150IE 3V should be in your price range

• 05-04-2015 09:07 PM In reply to

A hd2 is definitely on the short list if could haggle under 5k, one dealership has a hd200 in stock but wasn't on display yet so we'll go back for a look hopefully this week. How hard is starting the carb model in cold weather (love canberra)

• 05-05-2015 03:46 AM In reply to

I am a Canberra local, I have had no problems with my Aprilia, I always let it warm up properly before I move off, even in Summer.

LucidNinja:
    How hard is starting the carb model in cold weather (love canberra)

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au