Scooter
Community

Suzuki Burgman 650

Last post 02-12-2016 06:34 PM by gunnabuild1. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2015 04:36 PM

Suzuki Burgman 650

Below --copy of my letter to the Marketing manager of Suzuki Motorcycles -- I canvassed comments from Burgman riders and received a couple wanting me to add reverse gear ,cruise control etc but I thought it wise not to ask for everything..It will be interesting to see the reply.

Being a Burgman 400 owner and having been instrumental in starting the NSW Central Coast Scooter club ,I have seen and heard a lot about the Burgman 650

My observations of riders are that Burgman 650s are mostly owned by guys over 50 yr of age

I also note that riders of big Motorcycles are generally over 50 maybe because the larger bikes are not always that “funky “ enough for the younger riders and probably because the younger ones  cant afford the prices .

The Burgman 650 has a reputation  as being on par speedwise etc with most of the larger motorbikes ,and they are known to be  reliable

The thing is the Burgman has not changed it looks etc for many years and I see younger men going for more bare bone  and funky bikes which look more modern

May I suggest some things you might like to consider in making changes in the future  to the Burgman 650 Executive

1— Change the name--- Burgman Avenger or Burgman Expadido, Burgman Master , Burgman Traveller or one hundred other possibilities

2—Lower the height of the step over onto the scooter as a lot of older guys have leg problems ---5  to 10 cm could do it

3—provide a larger fuel tank maybe just 2-3 litres more

4--- install a much louder horn

5 –try and trim some weight off the entire scooter---  say 5to 10kg

6—get rid of that old fashion front mudguard and replace with something more modern maybe even chrome  

7— put more Decals on some body parts

8 ---colours –introduce red ,two tones and off white, even caramel

9 improve the windscreen

10 make the seat as comfortable as possible

11 Put the petrol filler on the actual body of the scooter and get rid of that stupid door

I offer these suggestions not as a criticism of the scooter but as a chance for you to think about in iimproving  an aleady successful product

Lastly –May I express my sincere disappointment of you in no longer selling the 400 model in Australia  

riding for fun
  • 11-24-2015 10:00 AM In reply to

Re: Suzuki Burgman 650

Rod Fountain:
    1— Change the name--- Burgman Avenger or Burgman Expadido, Burgman Master , Burgman Traveller or one hundred other possibilities
    make a sticker and call it what you want

Rod Fountain:
    2—Lower the height of the step over onto the scooter as a lot of older guys have leg problems ---5  to 10 cm could do it
    Engine is hard up under the cover, but you could always go the option* I am looking at and slam it.

http://custombaggerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?3844-Homemade-Air-Ride-PT-2-with-complete-parts-list/page5

*I am doing it for better suspension 2up, not slamming.

Rod Fountain:
    6—get rid of that old fashion front mudguard and replace with something more modern maybe even chrome  

Chrome? No thanks, but they could extend the mudguard so as not to have a need to make the extension, mind you it took all of a few minutes to do

Rod Fountain:
    7— put more Decals on some body parts

stickers/decals are easy and cheap.

Rod Fountain:
    8 ---colours –introduce red ,two tones and off white, even caramel

Licorice allsorts anyone?

Rod Fountain:

9 improve the windscreen

10 make the seat as comfortable as possible

A big YES for these, though $200 and my seat is sorted and some free clear acrylic, some creative cutting and grinding and a quick cook in the BBQ and I have a laminar lip clone that fixed the buffeting.

Rod Fountain:
    11 Put the petrol filler on the actual body of the scooter and get rid of that stupid door
    I dont find that a problem, the bar inside the openning stopping the nozzle from going in I do.

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 11-24-2015 10:16 PM In reply to

Hi all

I would very much like to know why the 400 isn't sold anymore I've read that in alot of places it was the best selling model. 

• 11-27-2015 03:17 PM In reply to

I asked about the 400 because I was told the 400 outsold the 650 in the USA

Crazy not to keep selling it here in OZ

UNLESS

They have plans to market a brand new 400 or even a 350

It would seem logical to have the 110 -- 200 ---350/400 and then the 650  and you have the range covered

riding for fun
  • 11-27-2015 03:46 PM In reply to

Hi all

I read the same thing Rod that the 400 was out selling the 650 In the USA and afew other places around the world.

But then they build the 200 eventhough they already had a 250 model bring that other here and sack the 400.

They replaced the 400 with a 200 so was the 400 selling that badly in oz?  or like Rod suggests could they be thinking about a new 400 ?  even if they are would we get it?  Probably not. !

• 11-27-2015 08:40 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

I do wonder how many of the 200's they sell.Went to look at one & liked much about it except that it was a big machine with a small motor,the salesman stressing that it's a city bike & definitely not suitable for highway work.I thought what's the point of it then?Surely a 300 or 400 motor would be a better allround useful scooter.Think it's too large for just a city/freeway scooter yet for me the 650 is just too large for predominately city work & weekend highway use.At the price of $6,000 plus onroads just reckon there's a lot of other scooters,new & second hand that would be a better buy.

• 11-27-2015 11:53 PM In reply to

The review on here seemed to be pretty definite that the 200 would do just fine as a highway bike?
    I have

found that salesman don't necessarily have a clue about the products they sell.

• 11-28-2015 10:46 AM In reply to

That's true it was written by afew different riders and they all said it kept up with the bigger bikes and Scooters for the whole day even leading at some points.

But still unhappy that it has replaced the 400 cause thats how it looks to me. 

• 11-28-2015 11:48 AM In reply to

I ride a Burger 400 and there is no comparrison to the 200 which I admit moves well and looks gooEven just to sit on the 200 and feel the handle grips is different and much smaller than the 400

We have a club member with a 200 and he keeps up with the larger scoots on all occassions --that is travelling at the posted speeds

Suzuki have in my opinion made a mistake in taking the 400 off the Australian market --it is still avail in other parts of the world

BTW Thanks for the good suggestions on the 650 -- I shall let you know the reply from Suzuki   

riding for fun
  • 11-28-2015 03:47 PM In reply to

gunnabuild1:
    The review on here seemed to be pretty definite that the 200 would do just fine as a highway bike?

It probably will do but for how long is the question you need to ask yourself.

I had a 250 Jetmax and it seemed happy enough to do 100, 110kph on the highway but it was probably doing around 8000rpm and close to the redline on the speedo. Burgman 200 would be going even harder.

I sold it and got a 650 burgman and it does 3800 to 4000 rpm for the same speeds and redline is up around 8000rpm, so its just cruising.

Fuel usage between the two bikes is pretty close.

4.3L/100K on the 250 and 4.8L/100K on the 650.

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 11-29-2015 11:06 PM In reply to

Significant differences between the 200 the Jetmax and the 650 Burg.
    Uses significantly less fuel than either the Jetmax or the big Burg.
    200 weighs 161 kg, Jetmax 200 kg, big Burg 270 kgs.

But yes I'll agree horses for courses and if being bought as a commuter first and foremost, here in peak hour travel it would be a reasonably rare occasion to be able to do the limit.
    As a general rule big engines last longer than small ones but I doubt that with regular by the book maintenance it would last any less than the big Burg and I suspect a significantly longer time than the Jetmax.
    Nowadays machinery simply becomes more expensive to maintain than it is to replace it.
    By many peoples mindset anyway,the price of labour in todays world.
    The price difference will buy a great deal of fuel though.

• 12-13-2015 01:18 PM In reply to

Hi all

Ive read that some Burgman 400 scooters use abit of oil.

It is true mine uses more than other bikes I own it isn't bad but I have noticed it.

I don't know why they do it,  mine doesnt blow any smoke or does it drop any oil. 

So why do they use the oil faster than most other Scooters. ?

It really isn't. bad and if I hadn't read about it I probably never would have even noticed.

• 02-05-2016 06:31 PM In reply to

Did Suzuki ever reply ?

• 02-06-2016 11:17 AM In reply to

Reply from Suzuki --NO --maybe because he doesnt want to upset his boss in Japan with suggestions from some unknown individual such as I

riding for fun
  • 02-12-2016 06:34 PM In reply to

Rod Fountain:

Reply from Suzuki --NO --maybe because he doesnt want to upset his boss in Japan with suggestions from some unknown individual such as I

Yeah, that would be it.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au